Living in Thailand using only ATM money for more than 6-months - tax consequences

On 12/2/2023 at 10:18 PM, Gottfrid said:

If you do t that way. No tax will fall on you. Same I have done lately. All my money goes to a Cambodian account. After that a card attached. Unlimited spending and works in Thai ATMs

A Cambodian bank account. Brilliant. Why didn't I think of that? I only have an account with Citibank in New York City, the financial epicenter of the world, which I'm sure is much riskier than an account in Cambodia. I'll close my Citibank account immediately and open an account in Phnom Penh. No chance that those honest and incorruptible Cambodians will misappropriate or mishandle my money, unlike those greedy, incompetent, and dishonest New Yorkers. Thanks so much for inspiring me to make such a sagacious and intelligent financial move, as you have done. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, acepredator said:

A Cambodian bank account. Brilliant. Why didn't I think of that? I only have an account with Citibank in New York City, the financial epicenter of the world, which I'm sure is much riskier than an account in Cambodia. I'll close my Citibank account immediately and open an account in Phnom Penh. No chance that those honest and incorruptible Cambodians will misappropriate or mishandle my money, unlike those greedy, incompetent, and dishonest New Yorkers. Thanks so much for inspiring me to make such a sagacious and intelligent financial move, as you have done. 

I did not understand this Cambodian bank account gig. If ATM withdrawals are not taxed, It really does not matter what bank account (Cambodia or the US) you use to withdraw your money in Thailand

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I did not understand this Cambodian bank account gig. If ATM withdrawals are not taxed, It really does not matter what bank account (Cambodia or the US) you use to withdraw your money in Thailand

Very true. The key question is, however, would you rather trust your money to a bank in New York or one in Phnom Penh? The issue is not about what will be taxed here in Thailand, as ATM withdrawals from either bank, presumably, will be tax free. The issue, at least to me, is the safety and security of my money. It just seems obvious that a bank in just about any country in the world would be more trustworthy than one in Cambodia.   

• Thumbs Up 1

This may be a confusing tax season for Americans.  Thailand may asses a tax for any money brought into the country.   I don't know of any category for deducting that amount from my US taxes.   I've done many returns deducting Japanese tax charged on the amount of income over the standard amount that I could deduct from my Japanese income but that was on income, not personal savings.  The money that I spend in Thailand for my miscellaneous expenses is from money saved after paying the American tax due on it.   The various tax treaties pertain to earned income, not saved money.   I don't think that there is any way to deduct freely spent saved money from US taxes.  We can't deduct VAT paid here.  I don't think that there is a way to deduct an extra "resident tax" that will be paid in Thailand.   I'll question Turbotax but I doubt that they will have an answer.  Paying a resident tax, VAT and importation taxes to live in Thailand is a bit much but if I were to return to California to live, that would cost me even more in taxes.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Just to note that Article 20 of the US-Thailand DTA uses the language "taxable only in that State" i.e. there are categories of income that can only be taxed in the US whether they are taxed there or not.

2023-10-01_13h51_07.png.62774d3f5ac8aa06bb23af7aea9ca338.png

Subject to Paragraph 2 of Article 21 .............

Have you read that ? What does it say??

In my opinion, apart from all the research to circumvent a tax on which we still know nothing apart from the amounts we would have to pay, the issue will be very simple.

If you reside more than 180 days in Thailand I should submit a tax return, but if you already pay tax on your income in another country I should submit a copy of your foreign return. If you don't present either one I simply won't get your visa renewed.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

14 hours ago, bradiston said:

Which makes me careful about sending foreign currency to my Thai bank accounts, as getting it out again via Wise is impossible. I have to use Dee.

Historically it may have been difficult, hence the use of Dee Money, but there are numerous reports now of people sending money out via their bank's website  or mobile app.

8 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

I don't think that there is any way to deduct freely spent saved money from US taxes.

The U.S. tax returns have a section for "foreign taxes" paid. Every year, I enter into that section the Thai taxes that are deducted from my Thai bank accounts for interest earned here.... And that amount is then a credit on my U.S. return.

If the Thai authorities were somehow to conclude that I owed them taxes on other funds I bring into Thailand each year, even though the U.S.  and Thailand have a tax agreement against double taxation, presumably I'd enter any Thai tax paid there as well.

and fyi, that done via doing my annual taxes via TurboTax online.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, treetops said:

Historically it may have been difficult, hence the use of Dee Money, but there are numerous reports now of people sending money out via their bank's website  or mobile app.

I was referring to Wise. I've never tried transferring from a THB account in a Thai bank to a bank outside Thailand.

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

I was referring to Wise. I've never tried transferring from a THB account in a Thai bank to a bank outside Thailand.

My answer was in response to the "you have to use Dee" in your post, but to add to this, you're right and you still can't use Wise to transfer money out of Thailand.

I think you have misunderstood what MJCM was talking about in the earlier discussion.  I only use Wise for their transfer service but it's possible to hold money with Wise in several currencies including Thai Baht.  This can then be transferred to other currencies or your bank account in Thailand (or elsewhere) freely.  The key point (I believe) is that any balances can not be funded from THB deposits.  The deposits must be made from another approved currency but once in Wise can be changed from one currency to another at will.

Does that make more sense?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

If it's only a matter of visa renewal, an agent will happily fix it. Agents don't need any documents now except your passport. They don't care about your entry visa, like O, OA, or other letters. 

The way I read it what he wrote was about if you don't pay taxes abroad or in Thailand, get the ..... out of Thailand (re: don't get your visa renewed).

But I could be wrong

:wai:

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

If it's only a matter of visa renewal, an agent will happily fix it. Agents don't need any documents now except your passport. They don't care about your entry visa, like O, OA, or other letters. 

1) Why should I use an agent when I am in good standing for bank deposit?

2) How confident are you in stating anything that you are not yet aware of how this new taxation rule will be applied?

3) Trying to invent your own world does not resolve the issues that everyone expects and that only the Thai government can provide.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BE88 said:

Why should I use an agent when I am in good standing for bank deposit?

If you have 800K in the bank, earning a meagre amount, so be it. You don't have to do anything. But some people earn more by investing and then use an agent to spread a portion of their earnings among unfortunates who do not have access to dollars.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Thanks for you deep sarcasm. Still wet behind the ears, I would assume. Did I ever talk about closing any other bank accounts? Did I ever say that you move all your money too Cambodia?

The only thing you are right about is that I make intelligent financial moves. That has made me totally solid for life. So, yeah, I am pretty happy. However, you seem to have big problems.

Thanks for picking up on my deep sarcasm. Very impressive for a non-native English speaker. If by "wet behind the ears" you mean young and naive, the answer is negative. If you mean old and gullible, then I must reply in the affirmative. For example, I recently lent 250,000 baht to a Thai lady I met on the street. She promised to sell her house and three rai of land in Lamphun and repay me. That was three years ago, and I'm still waiting for my money. Maybe old and stupid would be a better description. When will I ever learn that when a Thai promises to repay a loan, you would have been better off buying lottery tickets because the money you lent is gone forever. If you see me begging in the street sometime soon, please show the kindness and compassion to give me a little spare change, or maybe a 20 baht note. 

As for my other problems, there's IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia), adult onset scoliosis of the spine, etc. etc. etc. Yes, I know. That's way more than anybody cares to know. My point is that if you are truly solid for life, both financially and physically, then you are indeed an extremely fortunate individual. The vast majority of people struggling to survive on this miserable, wretched planet cannot say the same thing. But don't take it for granted. We are all only one motorbike or car accident away from being much less solid for life, at least physically, and probably financially as well. Best of luck in the future to you and your family.

11 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

If you have 800K in the bank, earning a meagre amount, so be it. You don't have to do anything. But some people earn more by investing and then use an agent to spread a portion of their earnings among unfortunates who do not have access to dollars.

Whaooo I fell for the genius of finance, so tell me by calculating that you have to pay 30,000 B. to your agent how much benefit do you make on 800,000 B.?

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Whaooo I fell for the genius of finance, so tell me by calculating that you have to pay 30,000 B. to your agent how much benefit do you make on 800,000 B.?

I pay 12,500 to agent that includes 1,900 to immigration. Last year my investment made 9% tax free. So my 800,000 earned 72,000. Just a bit more than the 10,400 I payed the agent. Certainly worth it for me. YMMV.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BE88 said:

At 5%, you do the calculation. S&P is running at 15%. And you don't pay 30K. It is only 12.5K in Pattaya. And the satisfaction you get from spreading your wealth to unfortunates who, no fault of their own, are not able to access dollars. And that is priceless.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

12 minutes ago, rhodie said:

I pay 12,500 to agent that includes 1,900 to immigration. Last year my investment made 9% tax free. So my 800,000 earned 72,000. Just a bit more than the 10,400 I payed the agent. Certainly worth it for me. YMMV.

11 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

At 5%, you do the calculation. S&P is running at 15%. And you don't pay 30K. It is only 12.5K in Pattaya. And the satisfaction you get from spreading your wealth to unfortunates who, no fault of their own, are not able to access dollars. And that is priceless.

Investment means risk and the more profits you receive the more risks, so one day you may no longer have your money to guarantee your visa and not even the money to pay your agent.

Good luck.

For me, peace of mind comes at a price and I'm willing to pay it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Investment means risk and the more profits you receive the more risks, so one day you may no longer have your money to guarantee your visa and not even the money to pay your agent.

Good luck.

For me, peace of mind comes at a price and I'm willing to pay it.

If you believe your money in a Thai bank is more secure than my investment in the West, go for it. I have more peace of mind with my investment than I have with Thai banks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1