178/187 day split to avoid tax resident status.

bob smith

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It’s extremely likely that the expenses involved in your plan will be orders of magnitude higher than any tax you are required to pay. ;) 

Bogs has loadsamoney that he throws around like confetti at a wedding. Loadsamoney!

That's when he's not making all the ladies go weak at the knees when he flashes his Rolex.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

In light of these new world order tax laws that are coming down the pipeline and will be enacted on January 1st 2024, looking after numero uno is the order of the day...

I will be spending no more than 178 days inside Thailand in any calendar year. The remaining 187 days will be spent abroad. Probably Cambodia mostly, with a sprinkle of Vietnam, Phils, Laos and Nepal thrown in for good measure. 

I have multiple women already lined up at all but one destination, so getting my feet under the table shouldn't be an issue.

Tighten the screws they may, but you are going to have to try a damn sight harder if you want to get your grubby little mits on my dosh.

bob smith, well dressed 21st century nomadic gigolo at your service. 

with love x

Please could you post this in a decent classic English because I do not understand any word of it

3 hours ago, Trippy said:

Why does someone with enormous wealth stay in 3rd world countries? 

Well, if you convert pounds, dollars or euros to baht, pesos, dong, etc. that transforms men of even modest means into millionaires. :intheclub:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It's extremely likely that the expenses involved in your plan will be orders of magnitude higher than any tax you are required to pay. ;) 

Correct. He will also be living in monthly rentals, instead on long term ones.

The quality you get with short term rentals is much less then long term properties. Good properties that feel like home are mostly rented only long term. He will end up getting ratty places and want to move back. Or, he will slowly give in, spend more for nice hotels or Airbnb's and such and not likely save much at all.

When I did it it was more expensive then staying in a nicer place in just one spot. I was also living much better in the long term property.

Edited by JimTripper

13 hours ago, bob smith said:

I've been busy doing a lot of planning recently.

In light of these new world order tax laws that are coming down the pipeline and will be enacted on January 1st 2024, looking after numero uno is the order of the day...

I will be spending no more than 178 days inside Thailand in any calendar year. The remaining 187 days will be spent abroad. Probably Cambodia mostly, with a sprinkle of Vietnam, Phils, Laos and Nepal thrown in for good measure. 

I have multiple women already lined up at all but one destination, so getting my feet under the table shouldn't be an issue.

Tighten the screws they may, but you are going to have to try a damn sight harder if you want to get your grubby little mits on my dosh.

with love x

How is this sitting with Mrs. Smith?

• Love It 1

36 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I can afford it!

and I'd rather spend MY money the way I want to rather than contribute to a society where I get ZERO benefits.

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!!

Not sure how old you are, but a lot of older people end up getting some ailment in short term housing.

You're just stuck there if that happens in a strange country with no support or ways to get around. You may not be familiar with the system or surroundings. That youtube guy got cancer in pattaya and could not get back to the uk and just could not really arrange things for the best outcome because he was sick.

That's dangerous. That's why people look for stable situations as they get older or a backup property in the native country. You kind of have a base to work with. If you do bail, often that base you built is no longer there or easy for one reason or another once you have been away.

Saw it in Cambodia quite a bit.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Not sure how old you are, but a lot of older people end up getting some ailment in short term housing.

You're just stuck there if that happens in a strange country with no support or ways to get around. You may not be familiar with the system or surroundings. That youtube guy got cancer in pattaya and could not get back to the uk and just could not really arrange things for the best outcome because he was sick.

That's dangerous. That's why people look for stable situations as they get older or a backup property in the native country. You kind of have a base to work with. If you do bail, often that base you built is no longer there or easy for one reason or another once you have been away.

just been to the doctor.

clean bill of health.

I'm young enough where I can get a hard on without medical assistance...

14 hours ago, bob smith said:

The remaining 187 days will be spent abroad. Probably Cambodia mostly, with a sprinkle of Vietnam, Phils, Laos and Nepal thrown in for good measure. 

Laos is a bit pricey if you want to be downtown (and you do). I'm going to say 50% more than BKK to be in Vientiane. Nepal, similar. Cambo is the only one that screams cheap to me.

15 hours ago, bob smith said:

I've been busy doing a lot of planning recently.

with love x

Edited by paahlman
Repeat post

Just now, paahlman said:

Problem is that it is no problem in reality if you notify your home country.. Taxes will be split.. End of story.. or not really, because you probably end up paying less in total if done correctly. If your home country has a tax agreement with Thailand or vice versa of course.

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

and I'd rather spend MY money the way I want to rather than contribute to a society where I get ZERO benefits.

That is a rather ridiculous, not to mention totally false, statement. ‘where I get ZERO benefits.’ You get benefits just by living here. You don’t get all the same benefits as a Thai of course but how is that any different from the vast majority of countries! There are vanishing few countries that give the same benefits to none residents 

• Sad 1

One big question is how is the alleged new (and questionable) tax law going to be enforced.  First off, how would they have a clue a foreigner is here more than 180 days?  The only way I can think of for tham to do that is to check Immigration records (seeing an annual extension or seeing at least a couple of 90-day reports in a row.....and then presuming the foreigner is here over 180 days); if that's the case and the OP retains an annual extension, his staying here only 60 days or 178 days won't stop the Thai inquiry.

Then, okay, let's say they've looked at something and guess/presume the foreigner has been here 180+ days, then what do they do?  Alert Immigration offices and require them to give no extensions or whatever unless and until the foreigner has a clearance from Treasury?

I smell a cluster_____ if/when they ever try to enforce any tax law aimed at foreigners.

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

I can afford it!

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!!

Boston Beacon Hill or Philadelphia main line??

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

That's more or less what I have been thinking: for older guys nearing the end of the road the only sensible choice is stay or go back home where good health care is available provided by social security. I have a family here, moving  them  to Europe  or Australia would cost more than the three of four million Baht the tax could  cost me here. 

3 hours ago, CMBob said:

One big question is how is the alleged new (and questionable) tax law going to be enforced.  First off, how would they have a clue a foreigner is here more than 180 days?  The only way I can think of for tham to do that is to check Immigration records (seeing an annual extension or seeing at least a couple of 90-day reports in a row.....and then presuming the foreigner is here over 180 days); if that's the case and the OP retains an annual extension, his staying here only 60 days or 178 days won't stop the Thai inquiry.

Then, okay, let's say they've looked at something and guess/presume the foreigner has been here 180+ days, then what do they do?  Alert Immigration offices and require them to give no extensions or whatever unless and until the foreigner has a clearance from Treasury?

I smell a cluster_____ if/when they ever try to enforce any tax law aimed at foreigners.

It's NOT for THEM to prove that you were in LOS more then 180 days, the burden of prove that you weren't will be I guess with YOU and not with them . Guilty until proven innocent comes to mind.

I fully agree with your Cluster ____ comment, that is exactly what I think that is going to happen and that is why I am leaving LOS for 6 months+ next year, and will wait till 2025 till the dust settles.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

That's more or less what I have been thinking: for older guys nearing the end of the road the only sensible choice is stay or go back home where good health care is available provided by social security. I have a family here, moving  them  to Europe  or Australia would cost more than the three of four million Baht the tax could  cost me here. 

They don't like to pay medical claims here from what I hear or stop insuring at a certain age. If you wait it becomes harder to move with each passing year. 

• Like 1