The Problem With EVs

josephbloggs

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Why don’t you import a H2 car (can’t buy one in Thailand) and put your money where your mouth is?

There are no public H2 filling stations here, but maybe you can fill it at home like many of us EV owners do here from our solar systems.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Jeez, you guys amaze me.

I never said the technology is available right now.

What I said, and parse this however you want to spin it, is that EV's aren't the long term solution

On 12/10/2023 at 6:57 AM, josephbloggs said:

Just thought I would share this - a series of three articles, each one tackling a different "problem".  Subject are "range anxiety (should you worry about getting stranded)", "the dirty EV mining industry", and "the fire risk of EVs". 

I thought they were pretty well balanced and fair. Would be keen to hear feedback from any open minded anti-EV posters.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/series/ev-mythbusters

(Yeah yeah, the Guardian, lefty liberal, pushing the woke agenda, blah blah)

12 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

@josephbloggs Your topic really brought out the EV hating loonies, is it a full moon?

They have

No interest in owning an EV,

Clearly no knowledge about EVs,

No experience in owning an EV,

Yet they want to spend their time arguing with people who have years of EV driving experience.  

Good job keeping your cool.

Clearly you didn't read the op initial port as he made it clear he was looking for feedback from  any open minded anti-EV posters. now to me that excludes any of EV fanboys on this forum unless they come under the heading of open minded anti-EV posters

As to the rest of your post your making yourself look like a social media influencer that can't cope with negative views about EV's

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Jeez, you guys amaze me....I never said the technology is available right now...What I said, and parse this however you want to spin it, is that EV's aren't the long term solution

Describe long term, and for who ?

EVs are for me, the next 10 years if lucky enough.  Also for my wife, the next 20 yrs, if not longer, as she won't need another car, if ever, as expect the present one to last 20+ years for the amount of driving she'll be doing, once I'm gone.

I've owned cars not made as good, and were older.  Who knows what we'll be driving in 20+ years, if even allowed to in some countries.

And the savings of owning our present EV, will pay for anything the future holds.  Saved 40-50+k last year, if driving 20k kms a year, depending how energized.   Times that by 20+ years.

That's a long term transport solution for us.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Jeez, you guys amaze me.

I never said the technology is available right now.

What I said, and parse this however you want to spin it, is that EV's aren't the long term solution

“Jeez” You didn’t provide any evidence to support your theories. So here is some for the counter argument.

H2 filling stations around the world are closing now, not expanding:

https://innovationorigins.com/en/first-shell-now-motive-hydrogen-fuel-station-closures-continue-in-the-uk/

Reservations at this month’s BKK Motor show provide evidence that there is a growing demand for EVs here as 6 of the top 14 brands are companies that sell EVs

Dec2023BKKMotorShowreservations.jpeg.ae645a786e9f53547b9afc4acdcb4092.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

It’s not that I “can't cope with negative views about EV's” I can’t stand the BS from people who know nothing about the topic.

I can't stand the BS reasons / excuses for not owning an EV.

Range ... sure, you can drive maybe 5-600 kms in you car, or even 1000 kms in your large fuel tanked diesel truck ... BUT ... do you really ?

500 kms = 6-7 hrs on Thai roads, and I hope you don't expect anyone to believe you are driving that far, without stopping.  Make the wife & kids P in a jar.  Sometimes I have to stop within the first hour of leaving the house, and actually did the last trip, as emergency toilet stop.

Note to self, don't eat & drink coffee before heading out next time.   Then wife decided she needed a toilet stop 20 kms down the road :laugh:

Charging takes too long.  After 3+ hours, you're stopping anyway, if not sooner.  30 minutes to top up EV, all of maybe 20 more minutes than a petrol stop, and that's without a browse and or munch, pick up a snack.  Need to kill time while charging, troll on AN, that's time consumer.  Don't forget the 1000 baht you saved by not buying petrol.

And yet, you have no problem, Q'ing up every week at the petrol station for 10 mins, but don't consider those times an inconvenience.  10 times 52 or 26 times a year, adds up.  Much more than my 30 seconds of plug in/out at the house once a week.

EVs cost more to buy ... that's BS now, and the savings of operating & maintaining, and time saved from going to the dealer/shop to have done.  Yea ... nuff said

Fire hazard ... proven BS

Battery replacement ... more BS

Depreciation ... unknown & more BS, make/model dependent

2 real reason;

... you just don't want one

... can't charge at home, marginal reason, but understandable, especially if you rack up the kms.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think it's Jealousy, I can't see any other logical reason.

Or they say ... 'I enjoy the experience of true driving' ... the vroom & vibration of the engine.   No thanks.

If performance is your goal, then you're an idiot for not having an EV.  Power & torque is impressive, and I don't get impressed easily.

If you must have a truck, I'll buy that reason ... for now :coffee1:

• Like 1

Last page has a few of the EV fanboys lined up.  You'd have a hard time convincing us, we made the wrong decision buying an EV, after we've been driving for a while.  It's a learning process.

Are they perfect, of course not.  But the best thing on offer at the moment.  The future should even be better.

Think most of us, wouldn't even consider buying another ICEV in the future, I know I certainly wouldn't.  Those that still have, doubt will be replacing with another ICEV.  That's a bit telling in itself.

Hopefully those EV trucks will hit the market the next 5 years.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2023 at 12:11 PM, BKKBike09 said:

That would be a good system.

I suspect that - as EVs become more and more popular - the resale value of mass market used vehicles will drop like a stone. Being an EV owner (a BYD Atto) I hope I'm wrong, of course, but seems to me that battery/charging technology is developing so fast that - as with phones and computers - the base price may not change much but the spec will change hugely. 

Atto cost me THB 1.2 million for a 60kw/h battery that gives around 400 km real world range and can charge at just under 90 kwh.

If I want to sell when it's three years old, I'd say a guesstimate for market value of a 1.2 million ICE at that point would be around 7-800K. Question will be if I ask that for my EV, what will be a prospective buyer's options in terms of a new EV market for that sort of price - probably quite a few cars with bigger batteries, more range and faster charging. We shall see.

I agree. EV and battery technologies are still at least 5 years off plateauing. Every year will see higher capacity batteries and efficiency gains. I think a 100kw/h battery will be standard within 2 years and will have comparable range to a typical IC car. That's when I might think about jumping onboard.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Posts a Clickbate YouTuber as “Evidence”  :cheesy:

Actually, your slip is showing yet again: I didn't say anything about "Evidence".  Nice try though.  Not really.

Keep telling yourself how great the time bombs EVs next to your house are.  Will keep your mind off these images.

I recommend you not click on that link.

• Confused 4

6 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I agree. EV and battery technologies are still at least 5 years off plateauing. Every year will see higher capacity batteries and efficiency gains. I think a 100kw/h battery will be standard within 2 years and will have comparable range to a typical IC car. That's when I might think about jumping onboard.

Actually a lighter weight and smaller battery would be fine, if the technology gives greater range potential per kw/h and it charges fast. A - say - 40 kw/h battery that can do 300 km and charge 20-80% in 5 mins would be great.

The whole 'range anxiety' thing does get a bit overblown; for me, the issue is not 'anxiety' but more the practical side of not being able to just jump in the car and head off on a long journey. If my ICE only has a quarter tank it's very easy to just pop in to a filling station. If my EV only has 25% SOC, I have no option but to go out and find a free fast charger, and then sit around for 40 mins or so once at the charger. Home charging is great overnight but no help in this situation.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Lee65 said:

Wrong.  He's not impartial.  He doesn't like EVs.

Now if you want "impartial", try Bandersnatch or KhunLA.

Fanboys does not equate to impartial.

The problem with EVs is they're too expensive.

I can get a decent s/h pickup for 300-400kbht, I'd be happy for it to be an EV, but only ICE is available.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1