Fury grows over Tory visa rules where ‘only the rich’ dare fall in love

CharlieH

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

"It’s hard to imagine this was ever actually a priority,”

I think that's the crux of the issue. This is theatre, it may look good and distracts from the real issues.

Thanks for pointing that out. I should have realised it myself, but on this occasion forgot to look behind the curtain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Would that be the same for a UK citizen marrying a UK citizen? 

No one who earns less than £38700 can get married or have a family.

You heard it here first.

If that were a fact, the British races would almost vanish in 2 or 3 generations, IMO. Rich people have less children than poor ones.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Denim said:

The rubber dingy across the channel starts to look like the way to go if you fall in love with a foreigner but don't  earn the required amount.

I've seen a lot of governments  come and go but for completely  misunderstanding public sentiment this one take the cake.

It's on a par with the incredibly mistimed ( attempted ) introduction of the poll tax.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

IMHO it seems as though the Conservative party, the cabinet and the PM, whoever he or she is this week, seem to be desperate to give the next election to the Labour party.

The Conservatives seem to have run out of barrels to scrape the bottoms of, judging by the current crop and the recent past performers.

AFAICS the Labour party is not much better either, which is not saying very much.

The saying " a plague on both their houses" might be appropriate now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

The limit is £38,700.  Frankly, if your income, pre tax, is below this, you have no business sponsoring anyone into the country.  

Point understood ... then again, as an American with British roots, I too would be blocked. 26,400 pounds based on last years USA total retirement income.

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Conservative commentators and politicians have also voiced concerns, including Lord Barwell, Theresa May’s former chief of staff, who said it was “morally wrong and unconservative to say that only the wealthiest can fall in love, marry someone and then bring them to the UK”.

That's rich! It was Theresa May who first introduced the system.

17 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

The limit is £38,700.  Frankly, if your income, pre tax, is below this, you have no business sponsoring anyone into the country.  

Cue (next) nursing crisis in the NHS.

• Agree 1