Euthanizing your dog at home yourself

As per posts from someone else last week, I too now am in a situation, where I must euthanize my own dog at home. She will not eat. Been 10 days. Now won't drink much, I have tried spoon feeding her and and forcing my large hand down her throat to get something down there, but it just comes back up. I have been to 3 different clinics and hospitals all coming back with the same negative blood tests. I have gotten bags of pills from them and IV's done. She cannot walk due to hip problems. Large dog 13 years old. Pee's while sleeping, so have to bathe her twice a day because of flies( I try to keep her under a mosquito net). I have to dissolve the pills in water to inject down her throat with a plastic syringe. Now they want me to come in everyday for an IV to keep her alive. To prolong her suffering I'm guessing. She tries to crawl away from me anytime I come close to her because she knows what I have to give her and to bathe her. The clinics it seems just want your money and  try to keep you coming back for more tests. She's 13 for godsake, how many years do they think she has left? Sorry if I sound angry, but I am. She is very sressed out. Please don't suggest the clinic across from The Dukes in Hangdong, Chiang mai land or Samoeng road intersection or any other. I'm done with them. No vet will euthanize her without more blood tests, pills, IVs' and suffering. I just want to know the best way to do it myself. I have had to do it to smaller dogs, but not a large one. Sorry, have no friends with guns. Again, don't bother with more clinic recommendations. 

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

18 minutes ago, FarmerJoe said:

As per posts from someone else last week, I too now am in a situation, where I must euthanize my own dog at home. She will not eat. Been 10 days. Now won't drink much, I have tried spoon feeding her and and forcing my large hand down her throat to get something down there, but it just comes back up. I have been to 3 different clinics and hospitals all coming back with the same negative blood tests. I have gotten bags of pills from them and IV's done. She cannot walk due to hip problems. Large dog 13 years old. Pee's while sleeping, so have to bathe her twice a day because of flies( I try to keep her under a mosquito net). I have to dissolve the pills in water to inject down her throat with a plastic syringe. Now they want me to come in everyday for an IV to keep her alive. To prolong her suffering I'm guessing. She tries to crawl away from me anytime I come close to her because she knows what I have to give her and to bathe her. The clinics it seems just want your money and  try to keep you coming back for more tests. She's 13 for godsake, how many years do they think she has left? Sorry if I sound angry, but I am. She is very sressed out. Please don't suggest the clinic across from The Dukes in Hangdong, Chiang mai land or Samoeng road intersection or any other. I'm done with them. No vet will euthanize her without more blood tests, pills, IVs' and suffering. I just want to know the best way to do it myself. I have had to do it to smaller dogs, but not a large one. Sorry, have no friends with guns. Again, don't bother with more clinic recommendations. 

Thank you.

Use Helium gas which is used to blow up balloons. Check in the internet how to do it.......it is my "departing this mortal coil" solution; not messy and painless. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mokwit said:

There might be something you can apply in this:

https://www.peacefulpillhandbook.com/

Nembutal is highly controlled in Thailand.

The chances of the general public being able to get hold of Nembutal here are slim to none. Maybe a decade ago but I doubt it now

I don't think vets even use it anymore

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I keep a stash of valiums, or whatever, JIC.  Figure I'd just give her more than enough to put her to sleep, if not enough, simple restrict her breathing until she passed.

So wouldn't feel a thing.

Strangely, losing my dogs (2) hit me harder than any family or friend passing.  Only thing worse would be a child, thankfully blessed without that emotional roller coaster.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I keep a stash of valiums, or whatever, JIC.  Figure I'd just give her more than enough to put her to sleep, if not enough, simple restrict her breathing until she passed.

Strangely, losing my dogs (2) hit me harder than any family or friend passing.  Only thing worse would be a child, thankfully blessed without emotional roller coaster.

Valium [and other benzodiazapenes] is not suppressive enough to respiration that it can be used for euthanasia.

OK saw the edit = used to make the dog oblivious to what is going on = apparently that is what they do in KSA for beheadings.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

I am an animal lover and hate to see any unnecessary suffering in any creature.

Yet that's exactly what you caused - you caused immeasurable suffering.  A plastic bag over the head is such a deeply unpleasant experience that it's used as a form of torture in many countries.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Put in s box thats pretty sealed up. Use shop vac hose from ICE vehicle exhaust to the box.  Leave the area in case there is some sounds or movements.  10 mins should be ok.      My city used to do to it this way. I have done this on healthy racoons recently.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elkski said:

Put in s box thats pretty sealed up. Use shop vac hose from ICE vehicle exhaust to the box.  Leave the area in case there is some sounds or movements.  10 mins should be ok.      My city used to do to it this way. I have done this on healthy racoons recently.  

I remember a line from a book by John D MacDonald. " The average raccoon is more intelligent and tidier than the meatheads who want to eliminate them".

Apparently when raccoons in an area are exterminated, the same area becomes overrun by snakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As a dog lover and owner of 6 rescue dogs I feel for you, 

I have heard that Benadryl is a humane . and pain free method to put a dog into a sleep that he/she will not wake up from .

Google "How to Euthanize a Dog at Home with Benadryl"  or look in YouTube for videos in the subject. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 11:31 AM, Gecko123 said:

I was faced with the same situation about 5 years ago. Blood pathogen that completely weakened my beloved German Shepard. Filled a fifty gallon barrel with water, and after giving it a final hug... The fortunate thing was the dog was in such a weakened condition, it stopped struggling in less than 20 seconds. I believe I did the right thing, but euthanizing a pet yourself is a traumatizing event that sticks with you for a long time. The burial pit was pre dug. You need to figure out how you are going to dispose of the remains beforehand. Access to sleeping pills or helium gas was not an option at the time, and this was the most humane way I could come up with to put the dog out of its misery.

Thanks for the advice. Sorry to hear about you and your dog. I can't imagine. We have many dogs, all rescues, I will have to give it a go with Helium. I'll look it up. I will have to do this to many dogs in life unfortunately.

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

As a dog lover and owner of 6 rescue dogs I feel for you, 

I have heard that Benadryl is a humane . and pain free method to put a dog into a sleep that he/she will not wake up from .

Google "How to Euthanize a Dog at Home with Benadryl"  or look in YouTube for videos in the subject. 

Thank you. I will look into the Benadryl option as well. 2 weeks no food now,

On 12/11/2023 at 11:40 AM, KhunLA said:

Strangely, losing my dogs (2) hit me harder than any family or friend passing.  Only thing worse would be a child, thankfully blessed without that emotional roller coaster.

I am also considering the pills and bag option. Thank you.

On 12/11/2023 at 11:52 AM, connda said:

I have a lot of animals.  I've lost 4 of them in the last 6 months.  It's not pleasant to watch any animal's suffering.

However.............

Your dog is dying and on one hand you are going out of your way to try to keep it alive (force feeding, IVs) then on the other hand you wish to euthanize your dog?  If you want you dog to stop suffering, then stop tying to keep it alive.  Put out food and water, but allow the dog to choose to eat and drink, or not.  Keep the dog as comfortable as you can, but I'd give up on those twice daily baths.  Its better to just allow your dog to be, offer up kind words and pats, and allow her to pass on.

Here's the honest question.  Do you wish to euthanize your dog to alleviate its suffering, or your suffering?
Think about that. 

We stopped the medicine after the first day. We do leave the water out near her and pass some food under her nose to see if she will take it. Always no. And Iv'e cooked up all her favorites. It is also to alleviate more of her suffering than mine.

Our uk farm vets use to use local anesthetic injected IV, intravenous.

Local anesthetic can be brought from a vet, Yar Char ,in Thai not expensive, injecting it might be difficulty a blood vain on top of the paw is the place.

It is very quick and painless.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FarmerJoe said:

Thank you. I will look into the Benadryl option as well. 2 weeks no food now,

Since your dog is having difficulties keeping food down, if you decide the Benadryl (diphenhydramine )

It would have to be in liquid form.or the sezolvable ones.  I think it can be dissolved in water if the dog will not keep it in his mouth long enough to be dissolved. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

Since your dog is having difficulties keeping food down, if you decide the Benadryl (diphenhydramine )

It would have to be in liquid form.or the sezolvable ones.  I think it can be dissolved in water if the dog will not keep it in his mouth long enough to be dissolved. 

Good. That's how I gave her her other pills. I have a syringe for that purpose.

22 hours ago, kickstart said:

Our uk farm vets use to use local anesthetic injected IV, intravenous.

Local anesthetic can be brought from a vet, Yar Char ,in Thai not expensive, injecting it might be difficulty a blood vain on top of the paw is the place.

It is very quick and painless.  

Yeah. With my luck, I would screw it up.

• Like 1

All the suggested methods of killing your pets are illegal, the shooters, suffocaters, gassers, drowners and poisoners may want to bear that in mind.

CRUELTY PREVENTION AND WELFARE OF ANIMAL ACT,
B.E. 2557 

Section 3.

...“cruelty” means an act or a failure to act which causes
an animal to suffer, physically or mentally, or causes an animal to
suffer from pain, illness, infirm, or may cause death to such animal...

Just a thought.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 4

If you ask a vet to clean her teeth they will tell you she has to be sedated and will only have a 50% chance of recovery. I'm sure most vets would understand your dilemma and simply "clean her teeth"

A Korean-style charcoal burner in a car would also work.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All the suggested methods of killing your pets are illegal, the shooters, suffocaters, gassers, drowners and poisoners may want to bear that in mind.

B.E. 2557 

Section 3.

Just a thought.

Wrong, In the Uk it is a legal to use local antithetic, that would be legal a way of putting animals down.

As for Thailand as we know, they religion does not recognize euthanizer, but does it mean that it is illegal?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Wrong, In the Uk it is a legal to use local antithetic, that would be legal a way of putting animals down.

As for Thailand as we know, they religion does not recognize euthanizer, but does it mean that it is illegal?

Could you please re write the above post in recognisable English when you wake up in the morning as it makes no sense to me in it's present form!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, kickstart said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

B.E. 2557 

Section 3.

Just a thought.

Expand  

Wrong, ...

Er, it's not wrong, I just quoted the law that makes it illegal! 

Edited by Liverpool Lou