Homosexual TV shows, movies

CanadaSam

18 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I just don't get it.  When I was younger, there was never any type of gay sex or even kissing on TV, movies.

Now, it seems that almost every show has gay scenes, and I'm worried about the impact it has on youngsters.

It really seems like TV, movies make it look like it's perfectly normal, and I don't believe that it is!

I mean if everyone was gay, there would be no next generation of humans, right?

They have to include these things now to keep viewers watching. Thailand accepts LBGT with open arms and it will never be censored. But point a gun at someone in a movie or stab someone or smoke in a movie and it will surely be censored. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The OP is experiencing homosexual PANIC!

So tragic for him. 

I would say OK Boomer, but I'm a boomer and I oppose stereotypes of boomers having such regressive atttitudes.

The reality is that representation of sexual minorites is not going to make more people gay any more than represenation of blacks will make more people black.

Certainly there is ZERO chance that media representation is going to make most people gay and interfere with human reproduction -- to assert that is PARANOID and INSANE. 

It does make more people not afraid to COME OUT, which is a good thing, as living a double life is extremely psychologically stressful. Yes societies change in different directions. Sadly not enough straight people understand how deeply psychologically damaging being in the closet is or perhaps many more of them would understand how important representation is. 

Straight people are not closeted because unless they give strong clues otherwise EVERYONE just assumes that they are straight. DUH. 

He could always move to Russia like this homophobic fascist!

By the way; where is the OP Canadasam?

• Like 1

My problem is not with "gay sex on TV".

My problem is with the relentless, and excessive, "sex on TV" - gay or otherwise.

I am old enough to remember when all that was needed was a "hint" of the sex that we now are shown in vivid detail.

It often adds nothing to the story, and is simply gratuitous. Personally, I feel it often detracts from the story.

But, I suppose it is a reflection of the modern audience?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

As far as gay content in media I think there are shows mostly for a gay audience and then more general audience shows that have gay characters and story lines (such as Modern Family).

Many films and tv shiws blur those lines such as.

An example of the former one of my favorites.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I am old enough to remember when all that was needed was a "hint" of the sex

Speaking of which, how come you can always show a woman riding a guy cowgirl-style, but never show a guy railing a woman who's bent over a chair?

Always show a woman tying up a guy, but never the reverse? Who decided that these sex practices were anti-feminist?

This prudish, PC airbrushing of sex is worse than having it thrust in my face, which I would actually prefer more of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Certainly there is ZERO chance that media representation is going to make most people gay and interfere with human reproduction -- to assert that is PARANOID and INSANE. 

I agree fully.     To even mildly assert that gays could have a deleterious impact on future generations is beyond insane.       I think the ignorance it shows is  incalculable.         :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I hardly watch any TV dramas these days and what you mention is part of the reason. If I do view one and a gay couple start kissing or worse, I stop watching immediately. I'm not anti gay, but something inside of me is put off by seeing same sex couples making out. It's not a choice, just a fact of life. Come to think of it, I dislike a good show being interrupted by straight couples making out, I just want the plot to play out without unnecessary interruptions. You are correct though, it's almost every drama these days.

If it's something I wanted to watch, I won't turn it off, but I'll fast forward past it.  I actually do the same with most sex scenes, as they really don't interest me, add nothing to the plot line, than simply entering the bedroom, and closing the door behind them won't accomplish.

They are usually totally ridiculous, unrealistic scenes, and I actually find it degrading to the actors to have to perform them, as can't be pleasant for them either.  I'd rather just see a semi or nude shot of them, if they are going to include it, and takes <15 secs to add to movie.

I can't watch any 'gay themed' movies, same as many themed movies, as just don't interest me or can't relate to it.

• Thanks 1

I suspect a lot of people myself included developed unwarranted prejudices over the years, when we look at them rationally the prejudices don't really make sense.

Dwarfs for example I find very unnerving, no rationality behind it apart from being able to hide not only in a closet but under your bed or a big shoebox.

Some tv shows will give the impression there are wee folk on every corner, its not really representative of particularly when dwarfs are not real they are mythical creatures which makes it even more unnerving and irrational to fear them.

Gay is normal, nae bother to me anyone else preferences, my dwarf phobia not so much yet there is still an element of should tv reflect real world in terms of the broad make up of communities that the production is set in, its a long shot but we could consider if some elements are more representative of the wonderful tv and film community themselves and not so much reality.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If it's something I wanted to watch, I won't turn it off, but I'll fast forward past it.  I actually do the same with most sex scenes, as they really don't interest me, add nothing to the plot line, than simply entering the bedroom, and closing the door behind them won't accomplish.

They are usually totally ridiculous, unrealistic scenes, and I actually find it degrading to the actors to have to perform them, as can't be pleasant for them either.  I'd rather just see a semi or nude shot of them, if they are going to include it, and takes <15 secs to add to movie.

I can't watch any 'gay themed' movies, same as many themed movies, as just don't interest me or can't relate to it.

You're missing a lot of very good content for quite bizarre prejudicial reasons.

Back when there was hardly any gay content, do you think gay people didn't watch content because there was straight stuff in it?

Good content is good content. 

• Confused 1

As far as the politics of woke vs. anti woke, I totally reject that media having gay characters or story lines is about that at all. A beauty thing about lots of content like that these days is that creators are free to show ALL KINDS of such characters, from villians to saints. It used to be if you showed a gay character they needed to end up dead. Or later when there wasn't much, to show a bad guy gay drew criticism from gay activists. Happily we're well beyond such silliness.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

Seen excellent shows such as the American Queer as Folk and Tales of the city that happened to be based mainly on gay characters. 

I am noticing though there are a number of shows that have a range of characters, colours, sexuality, gender etc. that do seem to have been placed into the show to tick a box rather than being appropriate and relevant and helping tell a story.