Homosexual TV shows, movies

CanadaSam

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Seen excellent shows such as the American Queer as Folk and Tales of the city that happened to be based mainly on gay characters. 

I am noticing though there are a number of shows that have a range of characters, colours, sexuality, gender etc. that do seem to have been placed into the show to tick a box rather than being appropriate and relevant and helping tell a story. 

Yeah like real life consists of only straight white men. 

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're missing a lot of very good content for quite bizarre prejudicial reasons.

Back when there was hardly any gay content, do you think gay people didn't watch content because there was straight stuff in it?

Good content is good content. 

Nothing prejudice about not liking romance movies, as most gay themed movies are.   Or coming out, diversity struggle, whatever the plot line, it simply doesn't interest me.  Same with any coming of age movie, or sexual, ethnic struggle for recognition, acceptance.

You want to make a gay Bond, John Wick, Neo/Matrix main character, then that's fine.  I can fast forward past the sex scenes, if having.

Arthur or Pretty Woman as gay themed, just wouldn't work with me.  I don't want theirs or any sexuality to be the plot line.   Just have not interest in watching.

That gays used to be stuck watching predominantly straight romances probably sucked for then, not in a good way.   But it's marketing to the masses.  What sells.  

Look at the violent gun movies, for the massed that make 100's of millions, when the world wants to stop gun violence, but willing to shell out big bucks to watch.   Go figure.

I'd rather watch a good conspiracy, anti establish movie, and if  main character is gay, bi or straight, I could care less, just give me a thought provoking plotline or good sci-fi fantasy movie.

• Love It 1

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thailand has several gay boy series running on different channels.  Some are playing school teens if I remember ..... 

It's up to you whether you choose to watch it or not.   It's no big deal.  

If it's not your thing then just ignore it.  

Don't really understand why the OP is concerned,  just watch something else.  

Reminds me of when Mary Whitehouse used to complain about any kind of 'permissiveness' on TV and in films.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess you have to draw a line or boundary on what minority groups.

I'm giving you an example of the uproar when transgender people went to read library books to children.

Personally I think it was great but others said it's not on and started attacking these people outside the library 

Surely not Thailand. Maybe you are talking about Darkest Amerika.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I just don't get it.  When I was younger, there was never any type of gay sex or even kissing on TV, movies.

Now, it seems that almost every show has gay scenes, and I'm worried about the impact it has on youngsters.

It really seems like TV, movies make it look like it's perfectly normal, and I don't believe that it is!

I mean if everyone was gay, there would be no next generation of humans, right?

If you feel that way, why do you use the word gay? You know what the proper word is.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, timendres said:

My problem is not with "gay sex on TV".

My problem is with the relentless, and excessive, "sex on TV" - gay or otherwise.

I am old enough to remember when all that was needed was a "hint" of the sex that we now are shown in vivid detail.

It often adds nothing to the story, and is simply gratuitous. Personally, I feel it often detracts from the story.

But, I suppose it is a reflection of the modern audience?

Indeed, people are shagging all the time everywhere and most people seem to like watching other people shag. Don't need a story.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I just don't get it.  When I was younger, there was never any type of gay sex or even kissing on TV, movies.

Now, it seems that almost every show has gay scenes, and I'm worried about the impact it has on youngsters.

It really seems like TV, movies make it look like it's perfectly normal, and I don't believe that it is!

I mean if everyone was gay, there would be no next generation of humans, right?

One could make some very cogent arguments in favor of ending the human race.

But to answer your other 'worry': I've loved girls since I discovered them at 4 years old. No way could gay portrayals ever have changed that. Could they have changed you? Are you worried about something latent perhaps?

• Thumbs Up 1

OP here, shocked and surprised at the amount of responses, mostly valid, IMO.

I was just commenting on the fact that you can not watch ANY tv or movie these days without explicit gay scenes, which is mind-boggling, because we all know that homosexuality is quite a small part of general life.

Why do these producers feel the need to include it in almost EVERY film and tv series?

It makes it look absolutely normal, especially to kids, and we all know how much the media affects kids thinking and behaviour.

7 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I was just commenting on the fact that you can not watch ANY tv or movie these days without explicit gay scenes, which is mind-boggling, because we all know that homosexuality is quite a small part of general life.

Why do these producers feel the need to include it in almost EVERY film and tv series?

It makes it look absolutely normal, especially to kids, and we all know how much the media affects kids thinking and behaviour.

Wild exaggeration. 

18 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I say again: no amount of gay portrayals could have 'switched' me ... I always liked girls.

Could they have changed you? Are there maybe some latent sides of yourself you're worried about? About how gay portrayals may affect your behaviour?

Gay is as natural as hetero, if not as common. But also evident amongst wild animals and birds as well who definitely haven't been watching gay portrayals in films. It is natural. And no need to be scared for yourself or anyone else.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you're talking about Drag Queen Story Hours I would say not in schools, but fine if parents are OK with it and the shows aren't bawdy (as they generally would not be at such events). 

But bottom line, I think this is one of those way overblown manufactured outrage things that fuel the fortunes of Fox News, etc. 

Again I don't think that children viewing drag queen entertainers makes the children gay or drag queens.

It's basically THEATER and artistic expression. 

I could never understand why they were reading stories to kids, who should really be learning to read for themselves, and not reading stories to elderly lonely people in care homes who might be unable to read for themselves due to age related visual impairment

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I could never understand why they were reading stories to kids, who should really be learning to read for themselves, and not reading stories to elderly lonely people in care homes who might be unable to read for themselves due to age related visual impairment

Kids like hearing stories out loud if it's done in an entertaining way. Did you forget?

Everyone should be free to express themselves, I think it's fantastic for Drag Queen story time ,

unfortunately just like Islamophobic prejudice there is Drag Queen prejudice and insinuations made about how they are targeting children etc .

I wonder why people hate other people just because they don't believe the same 

We must all spread love among everyone we meet , be happy and even hug if we can 🤗

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wonder why people hate other people just because they don't believe the same 

humans are weird, all of our imaginary/abstract concepts, many of which we will resort to killing thousands over, while the vast cosmos remains indifferent to all of it.

• Love It 1

Gay scenes in movies, television, etc,  is not extremely common.  Nevertheless someone watching them is not just going to make the person have a gay lifestyle.  It has to do with the person themselves.  And not by watching gay scenes on television or movies. 
Yes things have changed.  This isn’t the 18th or 19th century.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Wild exaggeration. 

Actually you are right it is an exaggeration, I understand only about one in twenty guys are homosexual. In the very odd time I see two of them together in a scene in a TV series I just turn away, it happens so rarely it is not a problem for me.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Are you being served?

Modern family

Gomer Pyle!

There were no homosexual scenes in Are You Being Served, I take it you mean Mr Humpfries. "I'm free". So he behaved in an effeminate manner, I found that very entertaining and funny.

• Haha 1

And to those who mention about how it was in your day, that 'day' was a second in the entirety of human history. Yes, absolutely, it's relevant to how you feel, but that's where it ends.

Roll backwards and forwards through history and the concept is like coffee, one year it's good for everything that ails you, and the next each coffee is driving you to the grave and will end the world.

Also,  it's a stretch to think that homosexuality is going end humanity, we've been gay forever and still managed to pump out 8 billion of us and rising.

If you want a real paradigm change to be concerned about, wait till they make working artificial wombs available to the public. Some people are going lose their <deleted>.

*** This is an opinion only ***