Streamlined Immigration Procedures Implemented at Suvarnabhumi Airport for New Year's Season

webfact

969943ce066c6fceb3d5b33b58e780629d37a7785abc2bd89637bee731b1aa03.jpg

On December 15, 2023, Lieutenant General Itthipol Itthisarnsanchai, the Director of the Immigration Bureau, along with Major General Chaiyan Rimphadee, the Commander of Immigration Division 2, conducted an inspection of the Auto Channel system at Suvarnabhumi Airport in preparation for the upcoming New Year festivities.

During the inspection, authorities found that since 00:01 on December 15, approximately 4,300 foreign nationals had utilized the Auto Channel for outbound immigration procedures. The majority were Chinese nationals (1,512), followed by Singaporeans (182), South Koreans (96), and Japanese (40), reported Siam Rath.

Lt. Gen. Itthipol emphasized that this initiative aligns with Prime Minister Srettha Taweesin's directive to expedite immigration processes at Suvarnabhumi Airport during the holiday season. The Immigration Bureau issued Order No. 322/66 on December 14, 2023, allowing the use of the Auto Channel for outbound immigration without the need for stamps or fingerprint scans.

To address urgent issues and accommodate the Christmas and New Year rush, the Immigration Bureau has collaborated with the system management company to enhance the Auto Channel program. However, it is important to note that the system currently supports only travelers with electronic passports (E-passports) from approximately 70 cooperating countries.

0375d074715d614e6d7aa31e88f6eb271415947e1cccfce149c6875174521b97.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

While Auto Channel usage streamlines outbound procedures, inbound immigration still requires screening by officers for security reasons. Thai citizens and nationals from Hong Kong and Singapore can continue to use the Auto Channel for inbound immigration as before.

Expressing gratitude for the system improvements, the station manager of Singapore Airlines acknowledged the efforts of the Immigration Bureau and Immigration Division 2. Lt. Gen. Itthipol emphasized that this development is a New Year's gift to the public and tourists, aligning with the Prime Minister's policy.

Looking ahead, the Immigration Bureau aims for long-term improvements, with support from the Airports of Thailand (AOT).

They plan to replace the existing system, in use for over 10 years, at Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Mueang Airport with a new Automatic Channel system, expected to be operational by July 2025.

Top Picture: Siam Rath

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-12-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

41 minutes ago, Irish star said:

there were no ramps left so had to bus it to terminal 

Airlines have to pay to use the ramps. Some choose not to, and that's usually the reason you have to take the bus. Often this is a good thing - slow start, but it does drop you off close to immigration and/or baggage collection so no long walk involved.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

The incoming is where mostly the biggest bottlenecks are and hopefully a solution for that will be found soon with the help

of those portly, well fed high ranking immigration's officers...

I came in last Saturday afternoon and the 1st immigration queue was down to the bottom of the ramp. Went to the 2nd and that was at the bottom of the ramp too but didn’t have the zig zag lines. Friends came in exactly the same time this Thursday and it was exactly the same. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

of those portly, well fed high ranking immigration's officers...

... that stare at the screen, and need, at least, twice as long compared to IOs in other countries. What is it - slow computer system, the data in unfamiliar language, English, or why does it always feel like one could order a coffee while waiting?

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Airlines have to pay to use the ramps. Some choose not to, and that's usually the reason you have to take the bus. Often this is a good thing - slow start, but it does drop you off close to immigration and/or baggage collection so no long walk involved.

It's a typical Thai boondoggle to keep the bus company making money. 

Someone influencial owns the buses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Alien said:

The serious problem is incoming and they should give this priority. 

2aa5b253-3c3c-4361-aca3-091b4ab2c3c7.jpeg

I flew out on Wednesday and did not see any of these automatic gates nor any of them being used. 

All foreigners were directed to queue at desks. 

All the automated gates were marked Thai nationals only.

The picture above is similar to what I experienced arriving back yesterday; a 30-minute wait at immigration.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Absolute nonsense. They already said when the new satellite terminal fully opens there'll be enough capacity to not need bus gates anymore. (I think they'll still need them for flights that have landed internationally and will next fly domestically - and vice versa)

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Absolute nonsense. They already said when the new satellite terminal fully opens there'll be enough capacity to not need bus gates anymore. (I think they'll still need them for flights that have landed internationally and will next fly domestically - and vice versa)

Eh? 

They are still using the buses even though capacity is not maxed at the moment. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Eh? 

They are still using the buses even though capacity is not maxed at the moment. 

Either a super budget airline or a TG flight that is transitioning from international to domestic, or vice versa: they have to park on remote stands. It is not "boondoggle to keep the busses running".

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Total nonsense. Happens all over the world. And the buses are owned by the airline that shuttles you between the terminal and the plane.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I flew out on Wednesday and did not see any of these automatic gates nor any of them being used. 

Use of automatic gates when leaving Thailand, for eligible foreigners (chipped passports, from 70 countries), only began on Friday. 15 Dec.

There may be new gates, for both departing and arriving ~ 31 July 2024 - that's based on reports/articles posted here. But that may be aspirational.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

did not see any of these automatic gates nor any of them being used. 

All the automated gates were marked Thai nationals only.

I am confused!

First you say you "did not see any of these automatic gates nor any of them being used."

Then you say "All the automated gates were marked Thai nationals only."

Which of these contradictory statements is true? 

On 12/15/2023 at 5:17 PM, ezzra said:

well fed high ranking immigration's officers...

It seems you're jealous about that because you could not live a decent life in your home country and had to travel 10,000 miles to live like a refugee, possibly using a "wify" visa, in spite of being able to earn dollars. 

6 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

It seems you're jealous about that because you could not live a decent life in your home country and had to travel 10,000 miles to live like a refugee, possibly using a "wify" visa, in spite of being able to earn dollars. 

8 Am on a sunny Sunday and already bad mouthing people with rubbish post,  get a life buddy or another forum here your BS

will be tolerated, not here...

every airport has congestion from time to time. honestly, i've been coming here since well before the new airport was built and can never remember having a serious delay at immigration - worst delays caused by fellow passengers not having documents in order.

maybe i'm incredibly lucky or maybe the few congested times get a lot of press...

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Either a super budget airline or a TG flight that is transitioning from international to domestic, or vice versa: they have to park on remote stands. It is not "boondoggle to keep the busses running".

As usual, you simply don't understand the way things work here. 

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Total nonsense. Happens all over the world. And the buses are owned by the airline that shuttles you between the terminal and the plane.

Wrong. Different entities performing various functions within the airport are owned by different companies that have tendered to provide those services. The bus services are one of those.

The buses are not owned or operated by the airlines. 

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I am confused!

First you say you "did not see any of these automatic gates nor any of them being used."

Then you say "All the automated gates were marked Thai nationals only."

Which of these contradictory statements is true? 

To clarify, no automated gates were available to be used by foreigners on exit from Suvarnabhumi airport immigration on Wednesday 13th December 2023. 

2 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I registered my passport in the past to use the automatic gates in and out. I have PR. And a new passport. Do we still have to register to go in and out of the country or not? 

I believe anyone with an e-passport that enters after the 15th can leave with the new automatic gates as the incoming IO adds your fingerprints and passport scan to the system so it can recognise you on the way out and cross check your visa status etc.

It remains to be seen if people who are already in the country on long term visas can use the e-gates when they leave or not. It would be great if the first person who tries it can post here. Don't think I'm leaving the country for the next 3-4 weeks at least. Logically I think we should be able to use them as our fingerprint and biometric passports are already in the system, but that's just a guess.

• Thumbs Up 1