Annual angst about proposal to renew current April International Health Insurance Policy - new AA recommendation to replace with Regency for Expats Policy. What to Do?????

dinga

On 5/23/2024 at 3:21 PM, Sheryl said:

My premium increase is 37%, from $4,073  to $5,582 Age 71, Essential Plan, $500 deductible.  Broker (AOC) states this is due to zone reclassification.  I have an inquiry in to the broker to find out what premium savings would be if I either (1) switched to Basic plan or (2 increased my deductible or (3) both.  Whether I   do either one, will depend on what the numbers show.

I also have requested further broker clarification on use of hospitals in the "April International Health Network"    

I will post what I learn when broker replies.

Yes, pls do post any update re hospital network.

On raising deductible, I also have Essential hospital only, $500 deductible, and premium for renewal this month is $4157. April quotes me $3907 if $1000 deductible. Hard to decide. What would you do? Thanks.

2 hours ago, david_je said:

Yes, pls do post any update re hospital network.

On raising deductible, I also have Essential hospital only, $500 deductible, and premium for renewal this month is $4157. April quotes me $3907 if $1000 deductible. Hard to decide. What would you do? Thanks.

I haven't decided for myself yet re deductible. But if a doubling of deductible from 500 to 1000 saves only $250 then you'd have to average one claim every  two years to break even and 1 in 3 to come out ahead.  Personally given my age and recent claims history not such a  good bet.  Keep in mind that while you can always opt to increase a deductible, insurer is not obligated to let you decrease it, so should take a long view, considering health and finances not just now but further down the road.

Regarding this network business, broker replied that April does not really have networks the way some insurers do and that this "is just communication".  By which I think he meant miscommunication.  He also said that if the insurer were to reject a charge on ground of being too high  by local standards, they must supply legal proof and "offer policyholders an alternative".  I can't see how alternatives would apply in case of services already rendered i.e. outpatient visit or a day surgery not needing pre-approval. But clearly for inpatient hospulitalization it gets thrashed out in the pre-authorization  process. 

I am still awaiting quote for a switch to Basic and clarification of what happens in terms of room rate if the hospital has no twin rooms. 

Interestingly broker mentioned that April will have to increase premiums by 50% within 2 years to cover the change to Zone 2. In which case I would expect another 13% rise (not counting any infationary effect) next year. 

10 hours ago, mania said:

Thank you Sheryl for your updated info much appreciated.

This is tough to take as my wife & I have been considering moving back to Thailand as we left in 2017

I am 67 & 68 this year. I know better than to be uninsured even though I am in good health/shape

But yes seeing these prices does make us pause. I of course prefer International policy given the track record of Thai insurers. Now seeing your prices I have given them a second look on https://checkdi.com/th/health/main?lg=en  

I wonder about AXA, Pacific Cross & LMG policies.  But again bad track records for Thai insurers when push comes to shove 🙄

I would advise against a Thai insurer.  The best of the bunch would be Aetna and AXA. I am not sure these will newly enroll people over 65 though. Aetna Thailand's predecessor guaranteed lifetime renewal only for those who enrolled before age 60. Be careful.

Also, at older ages premiums of Thai insurers are no less than -- and often more than - those of international insurers. 

Suggest you work with an jntetnational broker. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Interestingly broker mentioned that April will have to increase premiums by 50% within 2 years to cover the change to Zone 2. In which case I would expect another 13% rise (not counting any infationary effect) next year. 

Thanks Sheryl for the continuing updates. I am beginning to regret staying with them now.

I did not even consider that they would bump Thailand up a Zone.......:sad:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, topt said:

Thanks Sheryl for the continuing updates. I am beginning to regret staying with them now.

I did not even consider that they would bump Thailand up a Zone.......:sad:

Neither did I. As I said before, I think due to the COVID experience.  Which was unusually (and unnecessarily) expensive for April due to a misguided government policy.

I may eventually get some benefit from the Zone bump as I now visit UK annually. But for most, it is going to just be a higher cost with no plus side.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:08 AM, Sheryl said:

If this Regency policy was recommended to you by AA Brokers in Thailand, it is a Thai issued policy and to be avoided.

"...it is a Thai issued policy and to be avoided".

Could you expand on why you think that?  What is your experience with Regency?

On 5/25/2024 at 12:58 PM, Sheryl said:

I haven't decided for myself yet re deductible. But if a doubling of deductible from 500 to 1000 saves only $250 then you'd have to average one claim every  two years to break even and 1 in 3 to come out ahead.  Personally given my age and recent claims history not such a  good bet.  Keep in mind that while you can always opt to increase a deductible, insurer is not obligated to let you decrease it, so should take a long view, considering health and finances not just now but further down the road.

I am still awaiting quote for a switch to Basic and clarification of what happens in terms of room rate if the hospital has no twin rooms. 

April quotes $3591 for Basic $500 deductible. That would be about $500 less than my Essential renewal this year. One problem is that old AA had told me that if you switch down (Essential to Basic), and for some reason next year (who knows what changes may come to your situation or from April) want to switch back up to Essential, April will require a new medical statement. That would seem to open the door for them to add pre-existing conditions, or not allow switch, etc.

15 minutes ago, david_je said:

April quotes $3591 for Basic $500 deductible. That would be about $500 less than my Essential renewal this year. One problem is that old AA had told me that if you switch down (Essential to Basic), and for some reason next year (who knows what changes may come to your situation or from April) want to switch back up to Essential, April will require a new medical statement. That would seem to open the door for them to add pre-existing conditions, or not allow switch, etc.

Yes the insurer can always decline an upgrade of cover. Same idea as deductible: you can alwsys increase it but not necessarily decrease it.

How old are you? As your premium is obviously much less than mine. But you also said your premium is for Zone 3. Possibly it was issued before the change to Zone 2 went into effect. If so, the next 2 years may see a substantial increase in your premium.

I  will probably stay with Essential and 500 deductible but still waiting on numbers from the broker. My premium isn't due until August. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 10:49 AM, Sheryl said:

Yes the insurer can always decline an upgrade of cover. Same idea as deductible: you can alwsys increase it but not necessarily decrease it.

How old are you? As your premium is obviously much less than mine. But you also said your premium is for Zone 3. Possibly it was issued before the change to Zone 2 went into effect. If so, the next 2 years may see a substantial increase in your premium.

I  will probably stay with Essential and 500 deductible but still waiting on numbers from the broker. My premium isn't due until August. 

Age 67. Finally received reply from April re zone. They said zones depend on date of first subscription, which in my case was 2022, so 2024 conditions did not apply. But that is also your case, correct? Yet you are in zone 2? They did not link to date of issuance of new premium as you surmised. I have not yet asked if I would remain in zone 3 next year and get apparently corresponding lower premium.

Anyway, I renewed as have no time to research alternatives.

Any good alternatives for us next year if more big April increases come?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, david_je said:

Age 67. Finally received reply from April re zone. They said zones depend on date of first subscription, which in my case was 2022, so 2024 conditions did not apply. But that is also your case, correct? Yet you are in zone 2? They did not link to date of issuance of new premium as you surmised. I have not yet asked if I would remain in zone 3 next year and get apparently corresponding lower premium.

Anyway, I renewed as have no time to research alternatives.

Any good alternatives for us next year if more big April increases come?

Thanks.

I subscribed in 2018 so I don't think this is the reason. Others already subscribed have also reported this zone change and corresponding premium rise. Anyway if you are able to stay in Zone 3, even if just for a year more, thst is good.

A broker can advise you on options in terms of other indlsurers but note that any pre-existing conditions will be excluded (if they do not prevent getting a policy altogether). I seem to remember you have cardiac issue? 

On 5/31/2024 at 7:02 PM, Sheryl said:

I subscribed in 2018 so I don't think this is the reason. Others already subscribed have also reported this zone change and corresponding premium rise. Anyway if you are able to stay in Zone 3, even if just for a year more, thst is good.

A broker can advise you on options in terms of other indlsurers but note that any pre-existing conditions will be excluded (if they do not prevent getting a policy altogether). I seem to remember you have cardiac issue? 

I had afib but recent ablation so far has restored rhythm, so am unsure if underwriter for any new policy would consider this a pre-existing condition and if so, cover only afib or CV issues more widely. That complicates any switch away from April next year. I recall you have somewhat similar situation.

A broker in Bangkok said I could avoid the anticipated huge premium increases from April France in coming years by switching to April Thailand -- it does not require new medical questionnaire. But that comes with minuses also, I recall?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, david_je said:

I had afib but recent ablation so far has restored rhythm, so am unsure if underwriter for any new policy would consider this a pre-existing condition and if so, cover only afib or CV issues more widely. That complicates any switch away from April next year. I recall you have somewhat similar situation.

A broker in Bangkok said I could avoid the anticipated huge premium increases from April France in coming years by switching to April Thailand -- it does not require new medical questionnaire. But that comes with minuses also, I recall?

Thanks.

Yes April Thailand being a Thai insurer comes under Thai regulations which allows them to do things like raise premiums based on claim history (in addition to age and inflation based rises). 

A policy that does not require a mefical questionnsire is NOT a good thing. It is a Moratorium policy wherein they can refuse to cover anything if, after extensive digging into your medical records (which a Thsi insurer will do) they decide it is related to a pre-existing condition...and Thai insurers sometimes decide this in situations where it makes little or no medical sense. In other words, you do not know in advance what conditions will be covered.  Not to be considered except by people with absolutely no choice (i.e. no other way to get insured,). 

An underwriter for a new policy will certainly exclude A-fib and all things related (heart failure, stroke). Might or might not make a broader cardiovascular exclusion. If it had been 5 or more years since your ablation with no recurrencr of AF you'd have a better chance. 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes April Thailand being a Thai insurer comes under Thai regulations which allows them to do things like raise premiums based on claim history (in addition to age and inflation based rises). 

A polucy that foes not require a meficsl questionnsire is NOT a good thinh. It is a Moratorium policy wherein they can refuse to cover anything if, after extensive digging into your medical records (which a Thsi insurer will do) they decide it is related to a pre-existing condition...and Thai insurers sometimes decide this in situations where it makes little or no medical sense. In other words, you do not know in advance what conditions will be covered.  Not to be considered except by people with absolutely no choice (i.e. no other way to get insured,). 

An underwriter for a new policy will certainly exclude A-fib and all things related (heart failure, stroke). Might or might not make a broader cardiovascular exclusion. If it had been 5 or more years since your ablation with no recurrencr of AF you'd have a better chance. 

April Thailand is "community-rated," which means they must treat all clients equally in raising premiums, regardless of claims history, right? And we have seen April France totally unexpectedly raising Thailand one zone up and imposing huge premium increases, so we don't seem to have advantage with them in this regard.

The broker said the switch (which I took to mean simple transfer within the same company) from April France to April Thailand does not require new medical questionnaire. I assumed it meant just moving from April France Essential policy to April Thailand Essential, under same underwriting conditions as when i first joined April France (no exclusions). I have not yet clarified all this. You mean it could be a moratorium policy that I'd get into?

It's only been six months since ablation. Maybe I need to wait a few years before finding new policy.

2 hours ago, david_je said:

April Thailand is "community-rated," which means they must treat all clients equally in raising premiums, regardless of claims history, right? And we have seen April France totally unexpectedly raising Thailand one zone up and imposing huge premium increases, so we don't seem to have advantage with them in this regard.

The broker said the switch (which I took to mean simple transfer within the same company) from April France to April Thailand does not require new medical questionnaire. I assumed it meant just moving from April France Essential policy to April Thailand Essential, under same underwriting conditions as when i first joined April France (no exclusions). I have not yet clarified all this. You mean it could be a moratorium policy that I'd get into?

It's only been six months since ablation. Maybe I need to wait a few years before finding new policy.

First of all -- not at all the same company, not at all the same underwriter either. Thai company and Thai underwriter (LMG), and shifting under Thai insurance regulations.

While April Thailand may be "community rated", they are free under Thai insurance regs to drop this practice this and indeed all their policies include clause stating they can adjust premiums based on claims history/risk profile, the Thai Insurance Commission requires this.

I has assumed that no medical questionnaire meant a Moratorium policy. I suppose it could be that instead there is some sort  of special arrangement  to grandfather in April France clients based on their original medical questionnaire at time of enrollment in the latter --- you'd have to ask.

There have been some  of reports on this board of April Thailand refusing claims, including by people who were led to convert from April France to April Thailand without realizing the implications.

Which broker is  advising you to do this?

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

First of all -- not at all the same company, not at all the same underwriter either. Thai company and Thai underwriter (LMG), and shifting under Thai insurance regulations.

While April Thailand may be "community rated", they are free under Thai insurance regs to drop this practice this and indeed all their policies include clause stating they can adjust premiums based on claims history/risk profile, the Thai Insurance Commission requires this.

I has assumed that no medical questionnaire meant a Moratorium policy. I suppose it could be that instead there is some sort  of special arrangement  to grandfather in April France clients based on their original medical questionnaire at time of enrollment in the latter --- you'd have to ask.

There have been some  of reports on this board of April Thailand refusing claims, including by people who were led to convert from April France to April Thailand without realizing the implications.

Which broker is  advising you to do this?

Thank you for all that, important to consider.

It was just a broker I chatted with for only a minute on sidelines of something else. We did not discuss my particulars, so he may not give same advice if he knew.

Posted (edited)

Question:  I am looking to buy insurance for the first time.  I am 69 with no health issues ever.  I have never been hospitalized and take no daily medication.  From following all the threads it looks like I should be insuring with April International or Pacific Cross.  I am not concerned about the costs and don't need the cheapest.  I can easily self insure as per Sheryl's financial recommendations. The reason I am now considering buying insurance compared to self insuring is I don't like the requirement of keeping a large amount of money in a Thai bank, earning very little interest. I believe that if I was to take out the self insurance money from the Thai bank and get that same money earning a decent return,  that might earn me close to what the insurance will cost me.  My questions are,  which company would be the easiest to get a policy?   I live full time in Pattaya,  so which broker should I see ?  I am looking for a policy that would cover me for major events.  A high deductible would be OK.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Edited by how241

46 minutes ago, how241 said:

Question:  I am looking to buy insurance for the first time.  I am 69 with no health issues ever.  I have never been hospitalized and take no daily medication.  From following all the threads it looks like I should be insuring with April International or Pacific Cross.  I am not concerned about the costs and don't need the cheapest.  I can easily self insure as per Sheryl's financial recommendations. The reason I am now considering buying insurance compared to self insuring is I don't like the requirement of keeping a large amount of money in a Thai bank, earning very little interest. I believe that if I was to take out the self insurance money from the Thai bank and get that same money earning a decent return,  that might earn me close to what the insurance will cost me.  My questions are,  which company would be the easiest to get a policy?   I live full time in Pattaya,  so which broker should I see ?  I am looking for a policy that would cover me for major events.  A high deductible would be OK.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

If you have as much money as you say then for self insuring you don't need to transfer all the money to Thailand, takes seconds for money from Wise to settle in a thai bank account 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, how241 said:

Question:  I am looking to buy insurance for the first time.  I am 69 with no health issues ever.  I have never been hospitalized and take no daily medication.  From following all the threads it looks like I should be insuring with April International or Pacific Cross.  I am not concerned about the costs and don't need the cheapest.  I can easily self insure.  My questions are,  which company would be the easiest to get a policy?   I live full time in Pattaya,  so which broker should I see ?  I am looking for a policy that would cover me for major events.  A high deductible would be OK.

Pacific Cross is a Thai company.

You should discuss your needs with an internationally based  broker. A Thai broker can only provide  a Thai policy and these are unadvisable for several reasons that have already been detailed many times in other threads.

Personally I use AOC brokers based in France but they haven't needed to do much for me yet so can't say much. 

Policies to ask about would include  Cigna Global  and Cigna Close Care. There will be a few others but not huge choice as you are over 65. 

I've seen recommendations for Vumi also but am not familiar with the details. They seem to be based in the Gulf so need to consider what entity regulates it and what recourse you'd have in a dispute. 

Key features to look for:

- regulated in a Western country

- cover includes outpatient cancer care and dialysis even if otherwise hospitalization only

- likewise  cover includes day surgeries

- direct payment arrangement with a number of Thai hospitals

You should also consider whether you'd want coverage in other countries.  With internationally issued plans  there is usually a range of choices eg:

- worldwide inc. USA (the most costly)

- worldwide excluding US

- worldwide with a few more exclusions

-Asia only

Etc etc

Usually also  cover emergency care while travelling in otherwise excluded countries for trips of up to 30-90 days

Also consider if you want hospital cover only or also outpatient. The latter will almost double premium cost,  so most of don't get it...but if you don't,  do make sure your hospitalization-only policy  covers day surgeries, outpatient cancer care, out patient dialysis. 

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you have as much money as you say then for self insuring you don't need to transfer all the money to Thailand, takes seconds for money from Wise to settle in a thai bank account 

Thanks for that suggestion.  I have used Wise before and always had fast transfers with them.  

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Pacific Cross is a Thai company.

Thank you Very much for your very detailed answer.  I am Very surprised to learn that Pacific Cross is a Thai company as 5 years ago I went into the AA insurance offices , in Pattaya, and was recommended Pacific Cross even though I specifically told them I do Not want a Thai company.  I asked about April Intl. or other Intl companies. The agent told me that he personally used Pacific Cross.  This AA insurance office in Pattaya was always recommended highly in several insurance threads.  Live and learn.  It's a complicated world and hard to get straight answers.  Some friends have recommended that I move back to the USA so I can get free Medicaid and not have to deal with all this insurance stuff. I have been living in Thailand for 14 years and have been happy here. Thanks again for your help.  You are a most wonderful addition to this board.  Your knowledge always impresses me.

44 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is true or for that matter just use credit card tied to your overseas bank.

The main reason for insuring even though wealthy is to protect one's assets.

I've seen several affluent self- insured expats have to throw in the towel and return to farangland in old age because health care costs were eroding their capital. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@david_je

Still awaiting quote for change  to Basic and/or increase in deductible  but will probably do neither. From info others have shared the increase in deductible may not be worth it and my broker (AOC)  advises against downgrading to Basic. Will run the numbers anyhow as I have until August.

Meanwhile I am scheduled for a fairly costly op (580k estimate) and would like to share that Hospital received approval/GOP within 48 hours.  So while premiums have gone up, and the insurer is reportedly reeling under unusually high payouts in Thailand,  service and payment of claims seems still good. In this particular case it is at a hospital listed in their app as "recommended by April" (BNH,   chosen based on doctor). I have no idea if that helped speed things along.

Regarding room,  their room rate alone (not including nursing care   meals and service charge), is 4000+ baht. April of course told them they will reimburse only 2,700 of that.  Hospital  insurance office called me about that and I asked if the hospital could please discount me on the room, given that my insurer has agreed to pay quite a lot overrall,  and as it is I have a US $500 deductible to cover. She said she would see what she could do.

Similar situation 2 1/2  years ago at Bangkok Hospital,  which like BNH  has no twin rooms.  I told the hospital  to please sort it out internally.  By discharge time the issue had magically disappeared.  Whether by discount or creative billing I don't know. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 5:08 PM, Sheryl said:

Yes, it says Zone 2 on the premium notice and also in the 2024 General Conditions, Thailand now shows as Zone 2.

Screenshot2024-05-23at5_04_31PM.png.a9b60c152b1ad6733e5d6910e3668458.png

As an aside, my broker mentioned that the insurer has incurred significant losses on policies in Thailand and I suspect this is related to the fact that during COVID, April was one of the few insurers to fully cover all COVID hospitalizations even those that were not medically necessary (e.g. asymptomatic or just mild symptoms). At the start of the pandemic Thailand had policy of mandatory hospitalization for anyone testing positive even if completely asymptomatic, and these hospitalizations were in "special" single isolation rooms that were very costly, and never for less than 10 days as they would nto even re-test until then.

Medical expenses - Type of membership: individual
Type of cover: 1st USD
Level of cover: Basic
Option: Hospitalisation and Basic repatriation assistance
Annual deductible: USD 1000
Zone of cover: 3
USD 3,477.93
Comprehensive repatriation assistance and personal liability (private capacity) Not selected
Death and total and irreversible loss of autonomy Not selected
Income protection Not selected
Membership fee to the Association des Assurés APRIL USD 3.00
Total premium due for the period 01/08/2024 to 31/07/2025 USD 3,480.93
TOTAL TO PAY - To be paid before 05/08/2024 USD 3,480.93

Got the above 3 days ago,still says zone 3 ..i have inquired about paying a 1500$ deductible and a 2000$ deductible ..awaiting a reply. I will be 68 in August. I also got an email from AA world about the renewal but i don,t really have anything to do with them,though should i not get a reply from April i will ask them about the deductible.

Edited by keithsimmonds

1 minute ago, keithsimmonds said:

Medical expenses - Type of membership: individual
Type of cover: 1st USD
Level of cover: Basic
Option: Hospitalisation and Basic repatriation assistance
Annual deductible: USD 1000
Zone of cover: 3
USD 3,477.93
Comprehensive repatriation assistance and personal liability (private capacity) Not selected
Death and total and irreversible loss of autonomy Not selected
Income protection Not selected
Membership fee to the Association des Assurés APRIL USD 3.00
Total premium due for the period 01/08/2024 to 31/07/2025 USD 3,480.93
TOTAL TO PAY - To be paid before 05/08/2024 USD 3,480.93

Got the above 3 days ago,still says zone 3 ..i have inquired about paying a 1500$ deductible and a 2000$ deductible ..awaiting a reply. I will be 68 in August. I also got an email from AA world about the renewal but i don,t really have anything to do with,though should i not get a reply from April i will ask them about the deductible.

Can I ask  what your prior year premium was? (Trying to figure out if  you'ce gotten the Zone 2 increase despite normtuce saying Zone3).

I'm wondering if my change of broker somehow enabled this switch of cover zone.  Can't see why it should, but you're rhe second person to have gotten a premium notice that still says Zone 3. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Can I ask  what your prior year premium was? (Trying to figure out if  you'ce gotten the Zone 2 increase despite normtuce saying Zone3).

I'm wondering if my change of broker somehow enabled this switch of cover zone.  Can't see why it should, but you're rhe second person to have gotten a premium notice that still says Zone 3. 

Last year it was 3131$ i then increased the deductible to 1000$ which brought the renewal premium down to 2944.6$.

Ironically i just got a reply from April which says "there is no deductible for either 1500$ or 2000$ " you can have a deductible for 2500$ or 5000$...neither of which is worth doing.

40 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Last year it was 3131$ i then increased the deductible to 1000$ which brought the renewal premium down to 2944.6$.

Ironically i just got a reply from April which says "there is no deductible for either 1500$ or 2000$ " you can have a deductible for 2500$ or 5000$...neither of which is worth doing.

So about a 16% increase. No zone change hidden in that.

Very hard to understand why some people's have changed. I will ask my broker. 

Hi, All.  I've been following this thread and I wonder if anyone has April Interntional insurance like mine, which seems to be somewhat different than what is being discussed--which I did not realize until I started reading this thread.  I have had April insurance since 2011 and my plan is Ambassade Essential.  

When the thread started to discuss the change from Zone 3 to Zone 2, I decided to check what zone I was in, only to discover I am in Zone C.  Not a typo, a letter rather than a number.  At least not the Twilight Zone--yet. 

With my plan, I am also unable to add a deductible, which I checked on in 2023 and got this response from April:

Dear sir,

If you choose to be covered ofr Essential Hospitalisation only 100%, your premium will be 1 492?,00 € / trimester.

We also remind you that you cannot select  a deductible on your contract as this is the Ambassade offer from the 3rd generation 2011. 

I have no idea what exactly the '3rd generation 2011' is, nor exactly how it differs, but apparently that's my plan.  As you can see above, I was paying 1,492 Euros (disregard the question mark typo) a quarter or 5,968 Euros a year, about $6,487 a year, for 100% hospitalization in 2023.  This year, it's 1,666 Euros a quarter, or 6,664 Euros a year, about $7,243.

I am 72 and male. When I signed up in 2011 my only health issue was elevated cholesterol and I have just had routine medical expenses since then.  No big health bills for anything.

It looks like most of you have a much better April deal and plan.  At this point, at my age, and since I have been with April so long, I will likely bite the bullet and not try to change to something else.   I have not heard anything about any upcoming change of zones for my policy but my renewal is not until October.  

10 hours ago, newnative said:

Hi, All.  I've been following this thread and I wonder if anyone has April Interntional insurance like mine, which seems to be somewhat different than what is being discussed--which I did not realize until I started reading this thread.  I have had April insurance since 2011 and my plan is Ambassade Essential.  

When the thread started to discuss the change from Zone 3 to Zone 2, I decided to check what zone I was in, only to discover I am in Zone C.  Not a typo, a letter rather than a number.  At least not the Twilight Zone--yet. 

With my plan, I am also unable to add a deductible, which I checked on in 2023 and got this response from April:

Dear sir,

If you choose to be covered ofr Essential Hospitalisation only 100%, your premium will be 1 492?,00 € / trimester.

We also remind you that you cannot select  a deductible on your contract as this is the Ambassade offer from the 3rd generation 2011. 

I have no idea what exactly the '3rd generation 2011' is, nor exactly how it differs, but apparently that's my plan.  As you can see above, I was paying 1,492 Euros (disregard the question mark typo) a quarter or 5,968 Euros a year, about $6,487 a year, for 100% hospitalization in 2023.  This year, it's 1,666 Euros a quarter, or 6,664 Euros a year, about $7,243.

I am 72 and male. When I signed up in 2011 my only health issue was elevated cholesterol and I have just had routine medical expenses since then.  No big health bills for anything.

It looks like most of you have a much better April deal and plan.  At this point, at my age, and since I have been with April so long, I will likely bite the bullet and not try to change to something else.   I have not heard anything about any upcoming change of zones for my policy but my renewal is not until October.  

It sounds like you may have April UK policy?

April International (France), April Thailand, April UK --- all vpmpletely different.

Please check your policy documents. Who exactly is the contract with and who is listed as underwriter? 

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Another data point for you:
image.png.748ec8a6666b28ed39926ba4d584c271.png

Last years premium USD 2,114.21 so a 13.4% increase (going from age 61 to 62).