Alcohol Wholesalers Hit By Weak Holiday Season Sales

webfact

No wonder.. The Makro is a wholesaler too but it is impossible to buy beer or alcohol before 11.00 am or after 2 PM till 5 PM...  Besides that the quality of most wines are terrible and far too overpriced. and with less European tourist coming and staying alcohol sales will go down. 

Reduce the tax and stop with the alcoholsales ban and things will be better. Example we went to Europe and a bottle of Porto wine was only 8 euro so say 320 THB. Here in Thailand you have to pay for the same bottle 1290 THB....4 times more... The greed of the tax  the offices.. In a restaurant we had a very good wine for 15 euro a bottle.. that is 600 THB Try to find a bottle drinkable wine here for that money... imposiible.. all Chateau Migraine quality

Edited by ikke1959

9 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

Maybe this will compel the new government to abolish the hideous taxes and duties on imported wines!   Since they seem to be looking for ways to garner more tourism and tourist spending.   Here's the said truth anyone living here day to day must suffer to have a decent glass of wine.  We get whacked heavily:

In Thailand for wine there is a tariff of 60 percent on imports. 

All other taxes compound off from the imports cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) plus the tariff cost. 

Stop moaning!

Only the frogs drink wine!

Stop wining!

😂😂😂

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Actually, girls drink Spy Classic 5%, Spy Red 6%,  and Spy White  & Black 7%, just not in the same quantity. As a rule the better beers tend to be over 6% I agree.

Spy Classic is now 4%, Spy Red 5%, white 6 and black still 7%

19 hours ago, bob smith said:

Lower your prices a bit then more people will buy!!!

economics 101.

Tend to agree..... I can be somewhat shocked at what they charge nowadays for a case of beer. Even a carton of wine for her is 1000 baht and I wouldn't touch it. 

• Agree 1

Excellent news. The economy here is soft. As it is in many places. People are cutting back. These clowns are not exempt. 

I would also bet occupancy rates are relatively low, for all but the top properties, during the current peak season. As they were last year too. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/23/2023 at 8:45 AM, webfact said:

the expected strong festive season sales has not materialised with purchases either only edging up slightly or downright plunging

Maybe expat residents voting with their mouth to the proposed income tax on their foreign transfers to Thailand

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I was thinking that, if people are smoking dope do they stop drinking? 

With the recent Bangkok bar testing more than 50% of the 200 plus customers on drugs during raid does not appear totally stop - but suspect it reduces the amount they drink.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Iamloki said:

No argument Mike. What was the Prayuth Decimation given the following definition?

From Wikipedia: Decimation (Latin: decimatio; decem = "ten") was a form of Roman military discipline in which every tenth man in a group was executed by his cohorts. The discipline was used by senior commanders in the Roman Army to punish units or large groups guilty of capital offenses, such as cowardice, mutiny, desertion, and insubordination, and for pacification of rebellious legions. The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth". The procedure was a pragmatic attempt to balance the need to punish serious offenses with the realities of managing a large group of offenders.

A cohort (roughly 480 soldiers) selected for punishment by decimation was divided into groups of ten. Each group drew lots (sortition), and the soldier on whom the lot of the shortest straw fell was executed by his nine comrades...

You cannot explain it with logic, common sense and reason. But, you can explain it with deep seated and malicious pathology. How the Thai people got themselves into a position like this, with no moral authority whatsoever, anywhere to be seen, is a disaster. All the moral guidance and authority is gone. This is truly a very dark time for Thailand, it's people and much of the expat community. 

Some of the devastation can be blamed on Covid. Much of it can be blamed on Prayuth and his band of goons and thieves. 

It is more and more apparent by the day, that the destruction and sabotage of Thailand's tourism industry is likely deliberate, and planned out. Nothing else makes sense. They have been wanting to get rid of the nightlife for as long as they have been in power. What better way to do this, than use the cover of Covid? Reduce the entire industry to ashes, then rebuild it, in their own pure as snow image. Without a trace of nightlife, or a hint of a sex industry.

Of course we know this will not only mean a total failure to ever revive the tourism industry, but likely a larger sex industry. Try to stop it, and oppress it, and what happens? It just grows. When you have a nation that pays 3,000 to 5,000 baht a month more for a college graduate with a 4 year degree (after a very expensive education) than an unskilled laborer, what choice do some women have? 

Just "say not to sex" is as stupid and misguided as "just say no to drugs". But stupid barely even begins to describe the current leadership. Possibly moronic, fake, misguided, arrogant, out of touch, pathological, lacking one iota of compassion, black hearted, misled, ill informed, and incapable to leadership is closer to the mark. 

Extreme cowardice or willful sabotage? You choose. Woe is Thailand. 

It feels like willful sabotage. You cannot kill tourism more effectively, if you were doing it deliberately. Therefore, the verdict is in. They are trying to reduce the industry to ashes, and rebuild it in their own image. That of saints, sages and holy Buddhists. Put all the bars, nightclubs, go-go's, and related businesses out of business entirely. Then rebuild the industry as a Disneyworld, family type attraction. Pure as winter snow. 

• Love It 1

20 hours ago, Iamloki said:

No argument Mike. What was the Prayuth Decimation given the following definition?

From Wikipedia: Decimation (Latin: decimatio; decem = "ten") was a form of Roman military discipline in which every tenth man in a group was executed by his cohorts. The discipline was used by senior commanders in the Roman Army to punish units or large groups guilty of capital offenses, such as cowardice, mutiny, desertion, and insubordination, and for pacification of rebellious legions. The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth". The procedure was a pragmatic attempt to balance the need to punish serious offenses with the realities of managing a large group of offenders.

A cohort (roughly 480 soldiers) selected for punishment by decimation was divided into groups of ten. Each group drew lots (sortition), and the soldier on whom the lot of the shortest straw fell was executed by his nine comrades...

Please read the post above. It was willful sabotage of the economy. A horrific lack of judgment. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

Honestly if the grog monopoly was broken the craft brewing market would flourish, I paid overs for a few tins of a Thai brewed IPA recently and believe me it was top class. I try plenty of different ipA in the booming Oz craft market so I know what I’m talking about

I might drink a bit more, but what i want to to drink is unavailable. You cannot order beer

from online anymore, and you have to do that upcountry if you want anything more

than a Full Moon IPA or Chang or Leo. It's illegal unless you join some club, and even those are run out of Hong Kong

so no care for anything but making a buck. I like the  cheaper and what I think are much better  European beers than trendy craft beers and thats the only alternative to Chang-Singh-Leo as far as beer. The Thai craft beer people make beer as boring as Chang-Singh-Leo, I'm sure they wanna be them.

Really kind of a tragedy beers like Schneider Weisse's Aventinus, which was easily available in supermarkets

like Foodland can't even be had from online beer clubs that seem more interested in selling other types of alcohol.

The Thai craft breweries selling lager, wheat beer and IPA have pushed off the shelves even

standards like Duvel in my supermarket, the latest casualty to the war on alcohol. Other fine Belgian beers like Triple Karmelite, all of the trappist beers,

the Kasteel line of excellent beers much better than "craft" beer thats often easily twice the price and more, these are all nowhere to be found anymore.

I was even in a famous craft beer bar in Bangkok, I asked the bartender about whether they had any Belgian beers she just gave me this cold look

and walked away without saying anything.

There was also one OK wine that somehow dodged the series of taxation increases on wine which was available at Lotus, It was Australian and went for 380 a bottle but disappeared up country about 4 months ago never to return. So I don't just buy something else, I just simply don't drink then. I think the distributors think they can accpet some kickbacks from the major companies and push everyone into drinking Chang-Singha-Leo, not me.

Edited by Gilligan In Drag
  • Agree 1