Expat vs Economic migrant

Celsius

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

who should be living here?

People who have a good, well paid job with many fringe benefits. Those with a solid pension, who reckon it is better to stay here for their family and let their kids decide where they want to live later.  Otherwise I couldn't see any strong motivation, sex I could find anywhere, I have boomboomed on the five continents.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, novacova said:

These should be weeded out in my opinion.

Yeah sure, who in their right mind thinks it’s okay to be a lackey?

Boot them out…

"These should be weeded out in my opinion."

Depriving immigration of their main source of income? That's cruel.

Edited by jesimps
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kinok Farang said:

Sometimes you can tell the character of people just by the post he writes.This fella is a perfect example.

A pompous bore who is happy being I'm alright Jack.

And some you can just tell by looking at their username 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What's wrong with 12.5 million baht saved? no mention of owned property or a pension coming in.

He doesn’t have either (too young for pension)...otherwise he wouldn't be playing the big i am role on his teeny weeny canadian dollars 555

Third marriage in your early fifties though. Maybe not so bad after all.

The purpose of his post was to mock. Lets not forget that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

And it seems now that for UK retirees, while they might be able to go back they would not be able to bring their Thai spouse.

What do you mean "now", been that way for many since 2012.

Those that were not affected by the introduction of the income threshold then were probably on occupational pension and unlikely to be affected by the proposed increase.

As the poster implied, Brits returning would be immediately on full pension, free healthcare and any applicable social security.

Maybe not the lifestyle they hoped for but it is an alternative.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

What do you mean "now", been that way for many since 2012.

Those that were not affected by the introduction of the income threshold then were probably on occupational pension and unlikely to be affected by the proposed increase.

As the poster implied, Brits returning would be immediately on full pension, free healthcare and any applicable social security.

Maybe not the lifestyle they hoped for but it is an alternative.

She probably means the doubling of financial requirements that happened recently. Although I read that has been put on hold.

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's called taking responsibility of your existence. It's not perfect, but still an awesome nation.

Absolutely agree!

When I think that I could be back "home" in my own country, a place: that now has the highest cocaine use per capita in Europe; not only has defibrillators in red boxes on the street but also stab wound emergency care kits, because knife crime is so far out of control; where the wait time for an operation in the health care system is measured in years; utility bill costs during winter mean some older people have to choose between heat or food; shoppers in many stores, no longer shop and pay, instead the norm has become to shop and leave; I'm very happy that my biggest concern living here is whether or not I'll have to pay 5% extra Thai tax on 200 Pounds of imported income next year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Absolutely agree!

When I think that I could be back "home" in my own country, a place: that now has the highest cocaine use per capita in Europe; not only has defibrillators in red boxes on the street but also stab wound emergency care kits, because knife crime is so far out of control; where the wait time for an operation in the health care system is measured in years; utility bill costs during winter mean some older people have to choose between heat or food; shoppers in many stores, no longer shop and pay, instead the norm has become to shop and leave; I'm very happy that my biggest concern living here is whether or not I'll have to pay 5% extra Thai tax on 200 Pounds of imported income next year.

This is a fair point, but Thailand is also rapidly declining. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

She probably means the doubling of financial requirements that happened recently. Although I read that has been put on hold.

Many have forgotton, or never knew, the law was introduced by Theresa May in 2012 and the chances are if it didn't affect you then unlikely it will affect you now.

It hasn't been put on hold, the threshold figure has been amended down to just under £30K, think it is now £29,600.

7 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Very few of us are immigrants let alone economic migrants. We literally enter the country with a non-immigrant status visa which expires on entry and is converted to a permit to stay, which can be extended when financial requirements are met. We are permit holders. 

Those who bend or flout the rules could be classed as such but there's not too many of them. If you are not seeking a job or living on social security and can support yourself you're not an economic migrant, however little you spend.

Quite. many seem to think they are entitled to be here and want to be seen as immigrants, despite the Non Immigrant visa status.

This is reinforced to a certain extent by governments like the UK who say if you take extended holidays in Thailand you are no longer a UK resident and not entitled to a full pension.

Begs the question if non immigrant in Thailand how can you have emigrated?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The USA, some people call it the richest nation on earth, was always special.

The super rich get tax cuts, and the poor have to suffer. And this is what the American voters vote for. Amazing! 

well now with Biden, open borders, the illegals (est 12 million) get a lot free bennies and can hang around in the US until the court can hear their 

asylum case which might take several years with the backlog.  This means, that the states/cities controlled by the democrats have to raise the taxes to their citizens to pay for the care of these immigrants and many of these states are already have shrinking citizens as they are moving to states with lower taxes.  Politicians in the US are like many around the world - corrupt - can't even pass an anti-corruption bill.  Supreme Court set up their own ethics rules which they disobey anyway as the public started screaming at their antics.  Too much polarization now with extremes on both sides and none seem to be happy but do resort to violence more and more.  Better to stay in Thailand than go back to that.  My opinion anyway

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Not in my neighbourhood it isn't, nor in the places I visit in Thailand.

new govt is seeking money in any way possible mostly do to the populist promises they promised prior to the election.  Unless the 40 million tourists return next year the economy may  shrink even more as the economies around the world seem to be shrinking after the pandemic overspending.  But

better here than in many other places in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1