Looking For Gringo (Foreigner) Ghetto's

JimTripper

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

That's correct. It's nothing personal against Thai's, it's just me. Nothing wrong with that.

I think there's some expensive condo buildings that are almost all foreigners, but to never have to deal with the locals is impossible I think. Your going to have to buy groceries sometime.

37 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Naklua, Pratumnak,Jomtien could fit that.  Parts of Sukhumvit in Bangkok are referred to as Falang ghettos.

That's nowhere near enough what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something akin to a gated community, maybe in the Phuket area or someplace like that that's removed from things off in it's own area, maybe around a lake or something or part of the coastline.

Where you could go out to get groceries or whatever, but would not have to deal with moto drivers or thai street life type situations on a daily basis unless you left that enclave.

Edited by JimTripper

9 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

That's nowhere near enough what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something akin to a gated community, maybe in the Phuket area or someplace like that that's removed from things off in it's own area, maybe around a lake or something or part of the coastline.

Nai harn beach, Phuket has a lot of what you are looking for!

lake & beach too.

Edited by bob smith

5 minutes ago, bob smith said:

why so?

is it a prerequisite when you land here that you have to love everything Thai the moment you step foot off the plane?

I think not.

I was basing it purely on his description also some US based facilities have offices there and so on.

15 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I was basing it purely on his description also some US based facilities have offices there and so on.

Such as? Any names I can look into online?

Everything I see regarding the Phillippines online is just isolated expats living streetside in much poorer local communities.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Where you could go out to get groceries or whatever, but would not have to deal with moto drivers or thai street life type situations on a daily basis unless you left that enclave.

There's a village on chaeng wattana entrance is under the highway. Quite posh and I only ever saw foreigners there. Schools shopping all there.

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Such as? Any names I can look into online?

Everything I see regarding the Phillippines online is just isolated expats living streetside in much poorer local commjnities.

From Google: 

Most expats in the Philippines live in the Metro Manila area, particularly in Makati City – home to many international corporations and the heart of the country's diplomatic community. From luxury condominiums to houses in gated communities, there's a variety of accommodation to choose from.

You may want to join one of the expat forums for the Phillipines and get some local knowledge from them.

We also have a Philippines General chat forum here too.....

https://aseannow.com/forum/390-philippines-general-chat/

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

From Google: 

Most expats in the Philippines live in the Metro Manila area, particularly in Makati City – home to many international corporations and the heart of the country's diplomatic community. From luxury condominiums to houses in gated communities, there's a variety of accommodation to choose from.

You may want to join one of the expat forums for the Phillipines and get some local knowledge from them.

We also have a Philippines General chat forum here too.....

https://aseannow.com/forum/390-philippines-general-chat/

Makati seems like it would just be another Bangkok though. The locals would not be Thai, but it's still living around people that are too different, poorer, whatever. The same situation as in Thailand.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

There are certainly resorts / moo baans, where you live in a gated community mostly with foreigners (i.e. on Koh Chang Blue Haven, Siam Royal View), BUT...

- most of them have Thai wifes, which would obviously bother you and

- there are no shopping centers / restaurants in there, maybe a bar or a seven eleven, but that is it.

So you would have to mingle with those pesky Thais, even though you seem to believe in freedom from harassement by the locals

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Personally, I'm not here to 'be in Thailand', it's a re-location for financial and other reasons and I would prefer a living situation as close as possible to California, USA if that's possible.

Not anywhere here in TH that I’m familiar with. Seems like you’re looking for a place resembling Costa Rica or Manzanillo. As @CharlieH mentioned sounds like you’re looking for something more like the Philippines.

Edited by novacova

Thailand would be well-inspired to create such ghettos, could be a nice source of revenue, especially if including well-equipped retirement/nursing homes.

An area with its own supermarket, own police station, own hospital, own beaches, own golf course, etc.

Edited by tgw
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Quite a few foreigners come to Thailand, and refuse to learn even the most rudimentary Thai. Their choice, their loss. I find it much easier to live here with  modest ability in the language.

Probably  a condo with a large foreigner component of owners or renters in Jomtien or Pattaya would best suit the OP's California-like aspirations.

Given his preferences, he should only be renting property. I'm also assuming he is celibate, making him a pretty odd fish in the Pattaya scene.