Plastic

still kicking

10 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

This is meaningless without context.

Thailand is very highly ranked considering it's population.

I consider the meaning of my quote to be fairly straight forward.

You may not agree with the premise, but it doesn't make the quoted statistics invalid. Perhaps you may find your "context" in the link which I belatedly printed in a further post.

Edited by Old Croc

Sure plastic is bad but we are all guilty of the effects it has on nature.

There is no way around the use of it for now(Thailand).

But in the bigger picture imo it is not so bad.

So what if it takes 50 000 years to degrade?

Soon there will be a bacteria that can consume plastic,just wait until they eat the interior of your car

or you pc.

I asked a Thai retailer why he always puts even very small things in a plastic bag.

He said he has to,if he does not ,people will think of him as being cheap and he will loose customers.

Looks like the most plastic in the seas does not come from bags,bottles and a likes.

Most plastic particles that can enter your blood stream are coming from tires,makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

• Confused 2

Until the Thai government educate the Thai people from a young age about how plastic is a negative product 

Plus forcing the Thai manufactures to use other products same Businesses food courts ect 

Nothing will improve

Where's Gretna and green peace when you need then

Seems to gone quite on that front 🤔 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Years ago, before they stopped issuing plastic bags at 7-Eleven, I would always take my own plastic bags. I would say to the cashier NO PLASTIC and pull out my own bags, they would always laugh at me like I was some sort of idiot.

Most days, after I finish my workout I use the gym bathroom, I always wash my hands, do a pee etc. , I never turn on the lights, no need, I'm not reading a book or something, anyway there is a small window that let's light in. The other day security guard comes in and turns all the lights on, then says it's OK to turn lights on. 

In Australia we are taught about the environment at a young age, sadly Thailand has other priorities in their schools. 

... they stopped issuing plastic bags at 7-Eleven?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I got tired of it, and enjoy putting the bag back now, knowing they will have to deal with it a second time. Causes twice the work so eventually won't be worth it for them. At least it's not me throwing it out.

No, it does not double their work, it increases it by an infinitesimal amount as it's only you doing that out of thousands who don't.

A change in consciousness must start at the most basic level. Most Thais think plastic is the best thing ever invented, and the percentage of Thais that even consider the negative ramifications of plastic is incredibly small. This requires some education. I always do two things to avoid the consumption of plastic.

1. I bring re-usable bags with me every time I go shopping. I use the larger shopping bags I buy in the US, which are made of recycled materials. Most of the clerks have to be dealt with. Even when they see my bag, they still start putting the stuff in plastic. I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do. My Thai wife does not like bringing the bags to the store. I force her to. By now, she expects it, and sometimes even asks if I have any bags in the car, or on the motorbike. Same with the water bottles. It used to embarrass her. Now, it is second nature, as I have been doing this for so long, she expects it. So, if a Thai can be conditioned to follow these simple principals, then anyone can.

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away.

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing.

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference.

There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Shop at Makro, so a mute subject".

Is talking not permitted in Makro?   Or is that a moot subject?

either ... bags are never mentioned, along with bags not offered.

Pick one, Officer Lou, as I go into Helen Keller mode 😎

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It wasn't a spelling mistake, they are two completely different words!

Perhaps you have not yet reached the magic brain disconnect age - but some of us experience typing similar but wrong words for no apparent reason - I often have to edit such slip ups when re-reading. 

On 12/26/2023 at 1:19 AM, KhunLA said:

Plastic is not as good as other things, but way better than using paper.  Plastic isn't the problem, it's what humans do after they use it.  No reason for any plastic to end up in the seas or landfills.

As always, people are the problem.

Plastic can only be recycled 2 to 3 times whereas paper can be recycled indefinitely. So what do you think happens to the plastic when it can't be recycled anymore?

3 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

Plastic can only be recycled 2 to 3 times whereas paper can be recycled indefinitely. So what do you think happens to the plastic when it can't be recycled anymore?

Cutting down trees will never be eco friendly, as they simply can not grow back at the rate they are cut down.

Un-recyclable plastic can be burned for energy.

WARNING: Do not microwave food in any kind of plastic container.

Most plastics contain plasticizers, which are endocrine disruptors. I.E. they interfere with the human hormone system.

Microwaving/heat causes plasticizers to leach out of plastic, and into food.

• Haha 1

I love my plastic bags. How else will I care 10 items or more I just bought. I recycle them as trash bags after I get home. Than put them in the trash. This saves from using another plastic bag for a trash bag. And than put that in the  nice blue barrel down the street . Stopped going to the big stores that don't provide a way to take my purchases home . Supporting your local small businesses  is best. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

I love my plastic bags. How else will I care 10 items or more I just bought. I recycle them as trash bags after I get home. Than put them in the trash. This saves from using another plastic bag for a trash bag. And than put that in the  nice blue barrel down the street . Stopped going to the big stores that don't provide a way to take my purchases home . Supporting your local small businesses  is best. 

Nice, and then they go in the landfill, that's not recycling. I've been using the same cloth bags for the last 3 years, just take them with me when I go shopping. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

And also, to make plastic you need fossil fuel.

17 million barrels

On 12/29/2023 at 9:54 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Sadly the Thais still think everything is wrapped in a banana leaf, throwing their plastic packaging on the ground. 

Lots of plastic Pattaya Beach 7am this morning. 

Looks like an Indian beach, very polluted. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1

On 12/30/2023 at 9:26 AM, KhunLA said:

Cutting down trees will never be eco friendly, as they simply can not grow back at the rate they are cut down.

It is a question of scale and species. Given sufficient area, you can start planting trees today and in 7 years start building a pulp mill. By the time the mill is finished, the trees Eucalyptus or Acacia will be 9 years old and can be harvested. From then on you plant one tree for every one cut down and...

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

It is a question of scale and species. Given sufficient area, you can start planting trees today and in 7 years start building a pulp mill. By the time the mill is finished, the trees Eucalyptus or Acacia will be 9 years old and can be harvested. From then on you plant one tree for every one cut down and...

Interesting theory, it doesn’t seem to be happening worldwide though…

24 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Interesting theory, it doesn’t seem to be happening worldwide though…

Happened where I worked.They started the company in 1990. Started construction in 1997 and completed in 2000. Area in question 2640 sqkm.