Seeking Shipper for Thai Wood Caving to USA

CrashTestDummy

Hello,

I recently purchased large wood carving that I'd like to have shipped back to the US. I'm in no hurry to get it there - just looking to get it there in one piece. I'm hoping someone here has a recommendation for a Chiang Mai business that can handle both packaging and shipping of this fragile item. Yes, I'm aware shipping is likely exceed the cost of the item itself. So be it.

I live in the San Pu Loi area of Chiang Mai. Thank you.

24 minutes ago, CrashTestDummy said:

Hello,

I recently purchased large wood carving that I'd like to have shipped back to the US. I'm in no hurry to get it there - just looking to get it there in one piece. I'm hoping someone here has a recommendation for a Chiang Mai business that can handle both packaging and shipping of this fragile item. Yes, I'm aware shipping is likely exceed the cost of the item itself. So be it.

Post office

Can't help with a specific place but almost all the furniture shops (ones selling wood/teak chairs, tables, carvings, etc.) likely could handle both safely packaging and shipping it for you.  Years ago (as in 2 decades), I had teak furniture shipped back to the US but it was handled through the shop I bought the stuff at Baan Tawai.  Took about 3 months and, as expected, shipping was a bit more than the 4 large items  shipped.  A few years later, I bought an approximately 3.5' x 30" rather delicate teak carving and had that shipped by wherever (I forget) I bought it (and it arrived in fine shape).  Not sure where you bought your item but maybe that shop is used to handling shipping or at least could recommend a place.

Edited by CMBob
  • Like 1

Over the years, I've had numerous custom-carved wood portraits made in a small village outside of Chiang Mai.  I always hand carried the items back with me to the states.  If the carvings are of teak or other protected species there may be a problem without an export license.  I was warned by the wife of a close friend about this law.  She worked for a large import/export company so I think she knew what she was talking about.

The shops that regularly sell and ship these items are probably a good choice since they know how to comply with any documentation required.  The guy and his brother  that did my carvings not only worked out of their wood shop, but traveled to various temples around the country to do custom. work. 

Edited by Hawaiian
Additional comment.

I used KPS Shipping International for shipping my belongings when I moved back to Germany. They came and picked up everything and then made two shipping boxes. The volume was 3.6 cubic meters and I paid 500 Euros for the shipping to Germany. The company is based in Bangkok, though, and I moved in 2014.

Make sure to get the wood fumigated before shipping and get a receipt for it so you can prove it, otherwise you might have trouble getting it imported due to potential pests in wood.

Edited by pacovl46
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Make sure to get it fumigated before shipping and get a receipt for it so you can prove it, otherwise you might have trouble getting it imported due to potential pests in wood.

Too right. Almost every nice wooden object that we've bought in Thailand over the years has ended up as a pile of dust before being discarded. There are rarely any obvious clues externally but eventually, a pile of dust begins to accumulate under the object. Get it treated, it's a must do.

• Love It 1

21 hours ago, CrashTestDummy said:

Hello,

I have used Chiang Mai Removals for shipping to the USA. Other times I used ThaiPost for less fragile items.

I used to ship regularly and used CM Air Freight - - I think the company was called. They may not still be in business but surely the seller will have a shipper to recommend. 

My first shipment they cut off the heads of about 40% of the shipment and no compensation was offered. Hope you have better luck or the technology for search is better now. 

8 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Too right. Almost every nice wooden object that we've bought in Thailand over the years has ended up as a pile of dust before being discarded. There are rarely any obvious clues externally but eventually, a pile of dust begins to accumulate under the object. Get it treated, it's a must do.

It's easy enough, though, to get rid of the woodworms. You can either buy a specific pesticide and inject it into the holes or you could use silicon spray. That will kill them, too, or you can take it to a place that takes care of moldy car interiors. They use a gas, I forget which one, to fumigate the car, which will kill them. And I'm sure there's the one or the other household item that could be used to fill an airtight bag that will get rid of them.