Do you aim to die with zero?

sidjameson

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

From a health point ive had a bit of an ordinary 2023.

Severe Pnumonia - Both lungs, induced coma and icu for two months, then 1 month ward recovery.

Perforated large intestine - emergency surgery to cut and shut and bypass to colostomy bag, reversal surgery after 3 months.

7cm malignant tumour on kidney -  removed last week.

Total stay in hospital for 2023 - 127 days.

Wont take much more for me to decide my quality of life has taken a turn for the worse but suffice to say if the cancer comes back it will bye bye everyone.

Wow - i hope 2024 is better for you.

If you don't mind me asking, what age are you?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 4:47 AM, scubascuba3 said:

The last 6 months are often medically very expensive

Yes it can be Scuba, that's why I gave my Thai Dr a copy of my signed DNR papers. She was surprised by this and I explained I don't want my families inheritance blown away while I'm in ICU waiting for the grim reaper.She totally agreed and said she wished more elderly folks (I'm 73) would do this.She explained that is the Thai Drs credo to prolong life for as long as possible.My medical insurance has a ton of exclusions because of a previous bypass surgery. And no, I hope they don't put under for a broken leg.555     

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 8:38 AM, In Full Agreement said:

You'll make the first responders very happy.

Reminds my of a YT story about the 1st responders being filmed picking up a deceased foreigner out of his apartment. In one corner you could just see 2x 24 packs of Leo cans(unopened). As they filmed them packing the body into the back of their truck you could plainly see the 2 boxes of beer. I still laugh about this whenever I see a rescue truck. He won't be needing this stuff where he's going.555

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

My advice ....live life to fullest 😄

Iam.

Have a couple of million in cash sitting the the safe for emergencies.... The bank accounts are a target to deplete .... I can live day to day on my salary.

Edited by Ralf001

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I was told this joke by a former chairman of the Victorian EPA:

"Why do public servants never look out of the window in the morning?"

" Because then they would have nothing to do in the afternoon".

What's orange, has four wheels and sleeps six? 

CalTrans truck....

• Confused 1

There was a popular financial advice book that I read over 20 years ago (forgot the name) that said the goal should be to die and have the check (remember those?) for your final arrangements bounce.

Of course for those that care about a legacy and leaving money to heirs that doesn't work, but I believed in it at the time.

My feeling now is that you should strive for a balance. 

It's very important to not run out of money before you die so it's almost impossible to be able to predict events that way.

But too many reach a point in older life when they can and should spend more, but through a life of "saving for retirement" find that very hard.

As another said, the last months and years are often incredibly medically expensive so it's more likely you'll go broke then BEFORE you die, then just at that point.

No easy answers on this one.

So my response to the topic title is that would be ideal, but it's not even close to a realistic goal. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There was a popular financial advice book that I read over 20 years ago (forgot the name) that said the goal should be to die and have the check (remember those?) for your final arrangements bounce.

Of course for those that care about a legacy and leaving money to heirs that doesn't work, but I believed in it at the time.

My feeling now is that you should strive for a balance. 

It's very important to not run out of money before you die so it's almost impossible to be able to predict events that way.

But too many reach a point in older life when they can and should spend more, but through a life of "saving for retirement" find that very hard.

As another said, the last months and years are often incredibly medically expensive so it's more likely you'll go broke then BEFORE you die, then just at that point.

No easy answers on this one.

So my response to the topic title is that would be ideal, but it's not even close to a realistic goal. 

And some people as they get old just don't want to do much. My mom was that way after my dad died. I/we used to try to get her to spend more, but she was happy living like she did. 

I told he when she died, I was going to buy a new Corvette. Her eyes lit up and she asked: Red? 

"Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you have."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

And some people as they get old just don't want to do much. My mom was that way after my dad died. I/we used to try to get her to spend more, but she was happy living like she did. 

I told he when she died, I was going to buy a new Corvette. Her eyes lit up and she asked: Red? 

"Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you have."

I went to Homepro this morning to buy garden hose fittings.

Bought a 98" Tv for the bedroom !

I was happy with the 65" I had.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1