Do you aim to die with zero?

sidjameson

20 hours ago, mfd101 said:

No, I shall leave as much as I can to my partner (40 years younger than me). He already owns all property here in Thailand (land, house, car) and I have arrangements in place for him to receive the 2/3 of my Oz superannuation to which he is entitled, plus my investments.

Will be be blowing your trumpet when you've stopped blowing it ?

• Confused 1

My two sons who live and work in Dubai as musicians have had it tough since Covid, so I have had to help them out. Youngest got 'caught' using cannabis so 10 weeks in confinement, and it cost me 23k quid to get him out on bail.

But I said to them, it's only money you WILL NOT get when I kick it.

9 hours ago, mikebike said:

Almost exactly the same. Weird 😄

I don't think it's weird, and I also think it might be a lot more common than reading this forum might suggest.

I also think there is a sizable quiet population who aren't the 60 something with the 20 something and look like a normal married couple in the West.

Me and MrsG have discussed what happens as we enter our twilight years, none of us know when we will depart, but for all of us it's an inevitability.

Our kids, both American and Thai are now in their 20/30's and would never expect  anything from us, but if I(we) can leave them something I'd say my work is done

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Why not. Sounds like he was a long time public servant in Australia if his partner can get it after he goes. Likely didn't retire early. Worked a hard days work. The question was asked. Good for him. 

I had to laugh at this , funniest thing I read , A Government Public Servant doing a "hard days work " , 🤣🤣🤣

As a matter of interest which Government department did you work for that you did a hard days work?

Ones blowing a trumpet and your blowing a whistle 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

"Like his passengers"!😱😳Train driver ? Pilot ????

Grandfather.  Back in the day, we did whatever.  I remember when people imagined Australia like Crocodile Dundee,   I went there once - Australia, and also Dundee, and I've never seen so many people so white - Australia, and also Dundee.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I had to laugh at this , funniest thing I read , A Government Public Servant doing a "hard days work " , 🤣🤣🤣

As a matter of interest which Government department did you work for that you did a hard days work?

Ones blowing a trumpet and your blowing a whistle 

Not easy to do nothing like may have been in the case in the olden days. It is clear in the computer age if there is an errant worker or boss not pulling their weight. 

There is a good work life balance though. Working from home helps. 

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

All depends on when my quality of life takes a turn for the worse.... then within a week of that.

When will your quality of life take a turn for the worse?

My point is ( that you seem to have missed ) that we don't know.

On 12/27/2023 at 10:21 PM, sidjameson said:

Of course an impossible task for most but it's always been my hope to not die with unspent wealth. 

Though knowing when to draw down and by how much is proving to be a very tricky question.

No amount of personal wealth will change my spending habits and lifestyle. I simply don’t obsess over money, there are too many other good things in life, money is an art of compartmentalization of ancillaries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Unless you commit suicide, not recommended, you can not say if you will die with or without money. Personally I would prefer to have cash left when I go.

Personally i think it's better to choose an end date rather than have a miserable torturous slow ending which is likely

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

When will your quality of life take a turn for the worse?

My point is ( that you seem to have missed ) that we don't know.

From a health point ive had a bit of an ordinary 2023.

Severe Pnumonia - Both lungs, induced coma and icu for two months, then 1 month ward recovery.

Perforated large intestine - emergency surgery to cut and shut and bypass to colostomy bag, reversal surgery after 3 months.

7cm malignant tumour on kidney -  removed last week.

Total stay in hospital for 2023 - 127 days.

Wont take much more for me to decide my quality of life has taken a turn for the worse but suffice to say if the cancer comes back it will bye bye everyone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I don't think it's weird, and I also think it might be a lot more common than reading this forum might suggest.

I also think there is a sizable quiet population who aren't the 60 something with the 20 something and look like a normal married couple in the West.

Me and MrsG have discussed what happens as we enter our twilight years, none of us know when we will depart, but for all of us it's an inevitability.

Our kids, both American and Thai are now in their 20/30's and would never expect  anything from us, but if I(we) can leave them something I'd say my work is done

Well said. Other than my wife n kids being farang, and my condos in Toronto we have reached the same conclusion! 😃

• Agree 1

I am hopeful that I can be in a fit state of mind to transfer funds from New Zealand to my daughter here, this after instructions in my NZ Will for a portion of it to go to my nephews in Australia and Canada.

That will leave my daughter here with a sizeable chunk of money, which may mean that she doesn't have to work for many years.

I have made a Will in New Zealand and in Thailand to cover everything that I can think of and if I do feel like I am tired of this world/life/health, then the helium gas and a small bucket will be my final act.......in the meantime I will carry on enjoying my food and wine and a little social life, and just hope that I am compos mentis when the end is near.