Thoughts on alternative water heating - What are you doing?

Prompted by another thread which got a bit off track I thought we could continue here.

So, what are you doing?

As a starter there are a number of options to think about: -

Direct heating of water with the sun. 

Could be anything from a simple coil of black pipe to an expensive vacuum-tube system.

Electrical heating of the water powered by solar.

Directly coupled to panels, use an inverter, use as an energy dump etc. etc.

Something else

Bio-gas from your chooks or pigs??

• Love It 1

The amount of hot air coming out of the sister-in-law should mean my water heating costs are free. Unfortunately not.

Current house has individual 6kW heaters at each hot water point which, of course, is convenient but expensive and neither alternative nor renewable.

For me, either in this house or the one I plan to build, the solution has 2 main parts.

1.) House water for showers and sinks. I like the idea of water tanks directly powered by their own solar panels, totally isolated from the main house solar. For backup, if those same tanks can also support an old school UK style immersion heater which IS powered by the main house solar then even better. Wouldn't have to wait more than 20 minutes or so for decent hot water even if solar levels have been low or hot water usage high.

2.) The pool. Gets just a little too cold for 3 months of the year. Partly because of shade from the house, but mostly because of the ambient temps. It also gets too warm in the summer. 10+ hours of sun per day, no shade from the house and almost 10 degrees higher ambient. So heat pump it will be, solar powered of course.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Put a capacitor across the thermostat and lose the inverter, run it on DC straight from 4 solar panels.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Put a capacitor across the thermostat and lose the inverter, run it on DC straight from 4 solar panels.

I'd probably use an SSR to extend the life of the AC-rated thermostat (or even just bypass it completely), but electrical direct-coupling is definitely a viable method.

hotwater.jpeg.8e61de4cd52db6b317e5562e07999822.jpeg

I’ve had solar thermal at my house in Surin for 6 years. 200L insulated tank. Has an immersion heater for topping up the heat but have never used it. The water circulates via convection pushing colder water out of the tank to be reheated. 

Water from my rainwater tanks is pumped through a filter system to fill 2 500L tanks. The float sensor keeps the tanks filled. Cold water from these tanks is pumped to the solar thermal system via a demand pump the also pumps cold water around the house.

All my bathrooms that require hot water and the kitchen are located together on the ground floor and share a wet wall.

There is no pump to send the hot water out as it’s naturally pressurized.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

but electrical direct-coupling is definitely a viable method

Yep.

Water heaters are resistive so don't care if they get AC or DC. In fact DC should be more efficient.

My system is a home made flat panel on an outhouse sloping roof.

The panel is a number of 15mm vertical copper pipes between 22mm input/output horizontal pipes.

15mm pipes have sheets of aluminium attached for heat capture.

All this is mounted in a wood frame with polycarbonate cover 

Below, in the outhouse, there is a small circulating pump powered by a similarly small solar panel and a 200 litre insulated tank for storage.

Water temperature varies between OUCH BLOODY HELL! and lukewarm depending on time of year and weather.

At the moment it's cold here and there's been one day with a fair bit of cloud but I still got lukewarm.

As it's a direct system I have to watchout for minerals in the water. Bore hole water is way over the top with CaCo4.  

That stuff plays havoc with copper and creates problems with dissimilar metals of the storage tank (stainless) and the copper pipes/brass fittings.

It gets to behave like a battery.

I stopped using the borehole a few years ago and use well filtered surface well water which is so soft the soap lasts forever. Being as how I'm a cheap Charley that's a plus.

Cost was about a fiver 'cause it was built in the UK 11 years ago hence the copper pipe sizes.

It's a fun project and does what it says on the tin so to speak.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Yep.

Water heaters are resistive so don't care if they get AC or DC. In fact DC should be more efficient.

My system is a home made flat panel on an outhouse sloping roof.

The panel is a number of 15mm vertical copper pipes between 22mm input/output horizontal pipes.

15mm pipes have sheets of aluminium attached for heat capture.

All this is mounted in a wood frame with polycarbonate cover 

Below, in the outhouse, there is a small circulating pump powered by a similarly small solar panel and a 200 litre insulated tank for storage.

Water temperature varies between OUCH BLOODY HELL! and lukewarm depending on time of year and weather.

At the moment it's cold here and there's been one day with a fair bit of cloud but I still got lukewarm.

As it's a direct system I have to watchout for minerals in the water. Bore hole water is way over the top with CaCo4.  

That stuff plays havoc with copper and creates problems with dissimilar metals of the storage tank (stainless) and the copper pipes/brass fittings.

It gets to behave like a battery.

I stopped using the borehole a few years ago and use well filtered surface well water which is so soft the soap lasts forever. Being as how I'm a cheap Charley that's a plus.

Cost was about a fiver 'cause it was built in the UK 11 years ago hence the copper pipe sizes.

It's a fun project and does what it says on the tin so to speak.

Please. It's CaCO3.

If you have scaling on the copper, that is only to be expected with hard water. If you have corrosion, there's something else going on, such as galvanic corrosion.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Please. It's CaCO3.

Thanks for spotting typo.

CaCoowes it's existence to the huge amounts of gypsum 51 metres below ground. It was coming in at over 2000 ppm.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you have corrosion, there's something else going on, such as galvanic corrosion.

Yes there certainly was.

Note my comment "It gets to behave like a battery."

3 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Thanks for spotting typo.

CaCoowes it's existence to the huge amounts of gypsum 51 metres below ground. It was coming in at over 2000 ppm.

Yes there certainly was.

Note my comment "It gets to behave like a battery."

Er - gypsum is actually calcium sulphate dihydrate.

Bear in mind if there is any ammonia in the bore water, that will attack copper too.

CaCo

I don't think Calcium (Ca) and Cobalt (Co) can form that compound and be stable; closest I know of is CaCoN2 - Calcium Cobalt Nitride :whistling:

Fetching my coat!

But we are WAY off topic, let's leave the chemistry lesson for the Teaching forum :smile:

• Love It 1

48 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Here is the lab report so make of it what you will.

Bore hole Water Analysis 2018.pdf 870.97 kB · 2 downloads

According to the report, there is no CaCO3 there. It's all calcium sulphate.

They don't do an analysis for ammonia, NH3. Using Occam's Razor, the copper corrosion is most probably galvanic.

What with aluminium, copper, brass and stainless all in the mix, there are multiple opportunities to create a battery.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

CaCo

I don't think Calcium (Ca) and Cobalt (Co) can form that compound and be stable; closest I know of is CaCoN2 - Calcium Cobalt Nitride :whistling:

Fetching my coat!

But we are WAY off topic, let's leave the chemistry lesson for the Teaching forum :smile:

Well done, I just assumed the small "o" was a typo. Please note, I used a big "O". I'd hate to be caught out by an electrician.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I just assumed the small "o" was a typo

I'm 100% sure it was, but since there was already a chemical engineering discussion ...

Anyway, let's leave it for now shall we and worry about how to warm up the H2O with or without the CaCO3 :smile:

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Prompted by another thread which got a bit off track I thought we could continue here.

So, what are you doing?

As a starter there are a number of options to think about: -

Direct heating of water with the sun. 

Could be anything from a simple coil of black pipe to an expensive vacuum-tube system.

Something else

Bio-gas from your chooks or pigs??

Not seen here, as in Indonesia, using the waste heat from the AC to heat or preheat water. Put a copper coil in a tank and connect it before the heatX in the outside AC unit,

• Like 1