Thai elderly woman abandoned by children struggles to survive

webfact

image.jpeg

Abandoned and suffering from a medical condition requiring surgery, Orratai, 84 years old, was left to fend for herself, despite having four children. She had attempted to reach out to her daughter, living in a luxury house in the Ram 2 area, but was denied entry.

Orratai was discovered by the Sai Mai Must Survive team, alongside officials from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security. They had been alerted to her situation by a neighbour, who reported that the elderly woman was living alone in a house on Sukhapibal 5 Road, Sai Mai district. The utilities in her house had been cut off, and she was struggling to survive with no one to care for her, despite having four children, all of whom she had put through private schools and reputable universities.

After her children had moved out and started their own families, they had abandoned Orratai. She had previously tried to visit her daughter at her house in the Ram 2 area, but despite waiting outside the house all day, no one had come to open the door for her. Eventually, unable to endure the heat, she had to return home.

Upon arrival at her daughter’s house, the luxury property with a high-end car parked outside was found to be empty. A neighbour, Ann (Pseudonym), revealed that she had often seen the elderly woman waiting outside her daughter’s house. She had offered Vetnaya a chair to sit on and allowed her to use her bathroom. Vetnaya would typically arrive in a taxi, but more often than not, she would not find anyone at home or, if her daughter was home, she would not come out to meet her.

by Samantha Rose 

Photo courtesy of iStock

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 13
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

There may well be more to this story than we are being told. It sounds as though the children are cruel, but there must be a reason all four of them will not help their mother.

Yes...my thoughts exactly.  There's more to this story that sounds like BS to me.  

• Agree 2

So sad to read this. Her children should be ashamed, no matter what occured through life. No way to treat a senior lady. I hope that the organisations (Sai Mai Must Survive team and officials from the ministry of Social Development and Human Security) can assist and give comfort in some small way.

• Agree 1

On 12/29/2023 at 6:45 AM, webfact said:

the elderly woman was living alone in a house on Sukhapibal 5 Road, Sai Mai district. The utilities in her house had been cut off, and she was struggling to survive with no one to care for her, despite having four children, all of whom she had put through private schools and reputable universities.

Better not to have kids .

or, if her daughter was home, she would not come out to meet her.

Sad .

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gargamon said:

The westernization of Thailand continues.....parental neglect 

Where in the West are you from?

There's no pension system to handle this issue?

Where in the West are children supposed to pay their parents a pension?

I actually think families in the West are a lot closer and genuinely caring than here.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Thumbs Up 2

One of the problems is that Thai women can't keep their mouths shut. I've seen this first hand even with my wife who must tell her kids how to live even though they're both in their 40's and have kids of their own. So now they don't talk to her but they still talk to me when I see them when I'm shopping. Everyone has a limit and I told my wife repeatedly to mind her own business. In other words STFU. It's stretches ones patience when a person is constantly in your face.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Where in the West are you from?

There's no pension system to handle this issue?

Where in the West are children supposed to pay their parents a pension?

I actually think families in the West are a lot closer and genuinely caring than here.

You try and equate what a government does and how children treat their parents? What you describe is the children handing off their responsibility to the government. 

5 minutes ago, gargamon said:

You try and equate what a government does and how children treat their parents?

Governments rake in money from its citizens. They return some money by spending on public needs.

There should be a pension. Mainly because some children can't afford to take care of themselves, never mind their parents - the economy can be tough - but also some parents and children have bad relationships or lose contact completely.

5 minutes ago, gargamon said:

What you describe is the children handing off their responsibility to the government. 

Don't governments make enough money taxing everything we touch?

Is a reasonable pension too much to ask?

Aside from that, we do not live in an anarchist society: the government owns us and our children. They ought to take some responsibility for the elderly. 

image.jpeg

Abandoned and suffering from a medical condition requiring surgery, Orratai, 84 years old, was left to fend for herself, despite having four children. She had attempted to reach out to her daughter, living in a luxury house in the Ram 2 area, but was denied entry.

Orratai was discovered by the Sai Mai Must Survive team, alongside officials from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security. They had been alerted to her situation by a neighbor, who reported that the elderly woman was living alone in a house on Sukhapibal 5 Road, Sai Mai district. The utilities in her house had been cut off, and she was struggling to survive with no one to care for her, despite having four children, all of whom she had put through private schools and reputable universities.

After her children had moved out and started their own families, they had abandoned Orratai. She had previously tried to visit her daughter at her house in the Ram 2 area, but despite waiting outside the house all day, no one had come to open the door for her. Eventually, unable to endure the heat, she had to return home.

Upon arrival at her daughter's house, the luxury property with a high-end car parked outside was found to be empty. A neighbor, Ann (Pseudonym), revealed that she had often seen the elderly woman waiting outside her daughter's house. She had offered Vetnaya a chair to sit on and allowed her to use her bathroom. Vetnaya would typically arrive in a taxi, but more often than not, she would not find anyone at home or, if her daughter was home, she would not come out to meet her.

by Samantha Rose 

Photo courtesy of iStock

Full story:  The Thaiger  2023-12-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here. 

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click  HERE  to subscribe

The people laughing at this have no idea the fate that awaits them. And me to. Money won’t help unless you have many millions. Health care will take it like a vampire takes blood. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:33 AM, NONG CHOK said:

How can Thais expect to receive a pension when they did go to work none of them paid tax.

I have said this to them loads of times and the Cambodians, but it falls on deaf ears as that is not what they want to hear.

They have convinced themselves amongst the lower ranks, farmers, labourers, and such like, that our governments give out free money enabling us to settle here.

Back to the thread in hand, there must be more to this for all four of her children to want nothing to do with her, it can happen, but it seems a bit: Un-Thai in my view.

I had a brother who died of COVID-19 during the outbreak. There were eight of us in our family, and the remaining seven of us had nothing to do with him.

He was a druggie, a thief, a robber, constantly in trouble or jail but when he became elderly, he expected us all to forget and treat him with kindness.

Life doesn't work that way.

Only my mother forgave his antics.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 9:16 AM, gargamon said:

You try and equate what a government does and how children treat their parents? What you describe is the children handing off their responsibility to the government. 

If they tried palming off parents on the government in Singapore, they would get a short, sharp shock.

Singapore makes it very clear that the children are responsible for their parents.

You can say it's a complete different society, but Singapore pulled itself up by itself.

It wasn't always as you see it now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2023 at 6:01 PM, fdimike said:

The children shouls be arrested and prosecuted for abandoning their mother. 

That's a criminal offence, is it?  Which section of the Thai Criminal Code covers that offence?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2023 at 8:39 AM, FruitPudding said:

There's a Thai proverb, "To hit a child is to love a child" 

That says it all.

That is not what the proverb actually is but, regardless, your amended version of it is actually an ancient Thai proverb, not necessarily one that is followed these days.   That says it all.

• Confused 1

On 12/30/2023 at 9:35 AM, Mitkof Island said:

The wonders of what religion teaches us. Que Jumping seems to be the latest Thai fad.

Nah, Me first has been around for years here. :giggle:

On 12/30/2023 at 8:39 AM, FruitPudding said:

In my extended family,  there are kids with stunted growth, all teeth rotten, severe development issues, barely literate, abandoned by the biological mother & father, neglected and abused by the grandparents -- all the while the mother earns 50k and 100k doing massage in Phuket and Japan, respectively. This is a common story.

"This is a common story".

I doubt that what your tale asserts is a common story.

• Confused 1