Dangers of driving here and being a pedestrian. I nearly got hit on a zebra crossing

advancebooking

It’s safe not to assume anything on any road anywhere. A lot of tourists assume well mannered drivers here, I’ve seen countless Chinese tourists walk out crossing the road without looking, surprised don’t hear more about them getting slammed into. In the US it’s mandatory for drivers to stop when pedestrians are attempting to cross a crosswalk/zebra. Many western tourists believe such entitlements apply here. During congested traffic it’s difficult for motorcyclists to see the blind spots blocked by vehicles at a crosswalk, pedestrians tend to get hit when motorcyclists and even cars split lanes to get around what they perceive as a traffic jam.

• Like 1

If you want safe, then move to Japan.

I am always extremely careful when walking anywhere outside my front gate.

I have never operated any kind of vehicle in Thailand.

For that, I just use my same driver, and never even use Grab because I cannot predict the driving skill of Grab.

I am lucky to have used the same driver for about 7 years, and so I rarely need to postpone an excursion due to my driver being too busy for me.

It's probably unwise to get drunk and walk at night, simultaneously.

Maybe get one of those hats with a reflective coating would be useful.

Anyway, I only worry about getting hit by a car when I am outside my house.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, advancebooking said:

Recently I was nearly killed walking fast across a zebra crossing. It was a small crossing really close to my kids school. Actually a car on the left side was trying to turn right and I walked fast across the zebra crossing behind that car. Suddenly a pickup truck was speeding very fast and I nearly accidentally walked in front of it.

"Recently I was nearly killed...".

Yes?  How badly were you injured and have you now recovered from your near death experience?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

At best drivers here treat pedestrians like an insect in the road.  But lately they have been aiming for me.  Regularly.

I never cross at zebra stripe pedestrian crosswalks if it can be avoided.  Half the drivers ignore them.  And motorscooters burst through blind spot gaps between cars at high speed.  I never cross the street in front of moving vehicles.  Wait for them to stop if possible.

It has gotten so bad, I say a prayer asking God to keep me safe before venturing out on the roads.

Thailand. Driving up to pedestrian crossing, I stop, Thai dont stop ! Had to adjust NOT to that when Thai are in the back, it is for pedestrians own safety. Really must be aware when to stop.

Redlight on big road, I stop. Thai behind me speeding by, using his horn to tell im stupid and shouldnt stop.

I admit it was a weird light, but it was red. Cant make it different.

Make a right turn on green traffic light, had to break instantly hard and fast, as a Thai decided to cross section diagonally.

Thai truck, no lights driving in the dark on right lane. I was doing right lane with a 100km/h. Saw something that could be silhouet of something in that lane, so went left to be sure. Good decision, it was a car with no lights. You must stay awake and alert, as it happens in Thailand.

Crossing road by foot? I look left AND right several times. As they can from BOTH ways, just driving on wrong side of road.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, advancebooking said:

This can happen to any of us. Its very important to be careful walking on the roads in Thailand. 

zebra crossings here mean nothing. at a school i worked at a kid got hit at a zebra crossing between the two parts of the school separated by a soi.

so, in a nutshell, do not attempt to show who is the boss by insisting on crossing one cos YOU WILL get run over. cars are bigger than you and unfortunately they do not think for themselves. if you have been here a number of years you should have learned that one already, and this is not the first time the topic has been discussed here...

30 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

cars are bigger than you and unfortunately they do not think for themselves

They think.

They think the pedestrian will see a big (fast) car and the pedestrian will stop because they know that the car will win that competition.

It's true. The car is bigger than the pedestrian.

Car drivers are also aware of (big) trucks. Those trucks will win that competition. So, it's stupid to ignore that truck.

It maybe not the kind of thinking which you want. They know the rules of survival of the fittest. Play by those rules and all will be fine. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

At best drivers here treat pedestrians like an insect in the road.  But lately they have been aiming for me.  Regularly.

I never cross at zebra stripe pedestrian crosswalks if it can be avoided.  Half the drivers ignore them.  And motorscooters burst through blind spot gaps between cars at high speed.  I never cross the street in front of moving vehicles.  Wait for them to stop if possible.

It has gotten so bad, I say a prayer asking God to keep me safe before venturing out on the roads.

So if you get hit it's His fault?

I would strongly argue that one is no more likely to be hit by an errant motorist (if, indeed he/she is) on any form of pedestrian crossing, in any country, than crossing a road in an area not so designated.

I would further argue that one may actually have a better chance of survival when using such a crosswalk etc.

Logical reasoning suggests to me that, if a section of road is signed to reflect that pedestrians may be crossing, that there will "probably" be a certain number of motorists who will expect such, and approach said crossing with the appropriate caution. Hence my statement "a better chance of survival."

That said, where UK road rules dictate that one must stop and give way to any pedestrian who so much as puts one foot on a zebra crossing, it is quite evident that this rule doesn't apply elsewhere.

To reiterate, I believe that any pedestrian is just as likely to be struck by a motorist wheresoever he/she chooses to cross.

I will usually choose a designated crossing point if there is one nearby, BUT, I will always look in every direction, prior to --- and during the exercise.

When I was (trying) to teach my son to how to drive, he would sometimes argue, "He/she shouldn't have done that, I had right of way!" To which I would frequently reply, "Would you like to argue that point from the grave?"