RE: Requirements for Retirement Visa

Hello,  I am an 81 years young :smile: U.S. citizen looking to retire permanently in Thailand.  I want to apply for a retirement visa in-country.

I know I meet the income qualifications, but am I required to have a private Health Insurance policy also when I enter the country and apply for my visa?  I ask this question because as a U.S. military veteran the Veterans Administration took care of my health insurance, which of course does not apply in Thailand. 

Also, are there other visa requirements for this type of Visa?  I'm asking because I get mixed answers from several sources on this subject, so anyone who recently went through this process would be ideal for answering my questions, etc.

This is my first time on this site, so I will list my email address for any replies:  Any advice greatly appreciated!  

All the Best, and Thank You for consideration! JD

Edited by theoldgit
Email address removed as per forum rules. Please reply on the forum or by message
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ME100 said:

Hello,  I am an 81 years young :smile: U.S. citizen looking to retire permanently in Thailand.  I want to apply for a retirement visa in-country.

I know I meet the income qualifications, but am I required to have a private Health Insurance policy also when I enter the country and apply for my visa?  I ask this question because as a U.S. military veteran the Veterans Administration took care of my health insurance, which of course does not apply in Thailand. 

Also, are there other visa requirements for this type of Visa?  I'm asking because I get mixed answers from several sources on this subject, so anyone who recently went through this process would be ideal for answering my questions, etc.

This is my first time on this site, so I will list my email address for any replies:  Any advice greatly appreciated!  

All the Best, and Thank You for consideration! JD

Do you have US military Tricare health care benefits?  Tricare benefits may not qualify for the purposes of getting a Thai visa (although they really should), however if you check into it you may find you actually do receive Tricare benefits overseas https://tricare.mil/FAQs/General/GEN_Eligibility_Moving_Overseas

Edited by Misty
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

At Division 1 CW, Money does not need to be in the bank 2 months prior to application. Money can be actually transfered the day before and CW division 1 will accept. ( I did this 2 months ago) Other offices like Chonburi Jomtien may require "fund seasoning" for 2 months but this is not official "law" as CW in Bangkok does not require it and they pretty much play by the book.

Application for a Non-O (in country) does not require insurance.

Where will the OP be applying for the Visa? If in Bangkok no need to "season" the funds for the initial Non-O.

Very roughly here is a way to do it in country--it goes like this.

-Come to Thailand on visa exempt (given at the airport) or Get a 60 day tourist visa online .. Thailand eVisa.

-Get a bank account ( or two) I prefer Bangkok Bank. Others may have other preferences. I prefer to have a Bangkok Bank Foreign currency account to keep my money in dollars and then change dollars into baht by transferring money out of the FCA to baht account.

-Apply for the initial Non-O Visa for the purpose of retirement. This visa gives 90 days permission to stay.

Depending on the way you entered Thailand, you'd fill out a TM 86 or 87  (you will need various documents like a Tm.30, copies of passport, some small proof of residency like a hotel receipt (this CW Division requirements, other offices may require more)

- after about two months from receiving the initial Non-O 90 days permission to stay apply for the 1 year extension of stay

you will need documentation of money in the bank, residency and various other forms as well as the TM7 extension application form.

- do 90 checkin reports during the year and keep the money in the bank (you can deplete it somewhat but the timing needs to coincide with requirements, more on that later if you decide to deplete money in the bank by 400k it is allowed.

-a month or less before extension expires apply for another.

-Rinse, lather, repeat for long term residency in Thailand.

Many of the expats who frequent this forum do their immigration business themselves. If you have the time and energy to research and do the foot work then great. Otherwise it may be worth it for you to find a reputable, above board agent to do the work. I have never used and agent so I would defer to others here for referral and  use of an agency.

Not sure where you get your information from but I beg to differ as i have just renewed my Non-o retirement visa at CW where the details in my post were reaffirmed to me...

Edited by ezzra
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

You're talking about an annual extension of stay.  Replying to a post talking about the initial 90 day non-O visa.  Different things with different requirements.

YES for the initial non-o visa (which is the actual visa you will do extensions for permission to stay on) @ CW division 1 there is not requirement to have funds in the bank 2 months prior to the TM.87 or TM.86 application.. for the EXTENSION it is required to have money in the bank for 2 months. Once on the initial NON-O then one would the apply for the 1 year extension and by that time the money will have been in the bank for the 2 month required period (60 days)

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I beginning to think this post is BS. The OP his first post, has not answered anything. 9 hrs. later.

What immigration office is the most important question.

if he's in the USA its the middle of the night and he stated he supplied his email for replies, which was removed. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Get a bank account ( or two) I prefer Bangkok Bank

You skipped over the details of how to do this. 

The OP must be entering visa exempt or SETV.

Either way very difficult to open a Thai bank account.

Added note USA embassy does not provide "address verification" means he requires a certificate of residence.

Not possible in Bangkok.

The OP needs to provide more details for best advice. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

No requirement for health insurance, ( not yet anyway) just the 800k in the bank 2 months prior to

asking for the visa and 3 months after the issuing the visa, 400k monthly average in the

past 12 months of your bank account and a whole pile of documents, bank statements and copies

of everything,

you can have an agent to do it for you for the cost of about 12-15,000 baht or do it yourself if you have

the energy to spend a few hours at the Immigration office, I'm sure that other members will

even contribute more to this subject... 

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

No requirement for health insurance, ( not yet anyway) just the 800k in the bank 2 months prior to

asking for the visa and 3 months after the issuing the visa, 400k monthly average in the

past 12 months of your bank account and a whole pile of documents, bank statements and copies

of everything,

you can have an agent to do it for you for the cost of about 12-15,000 baht or do it yourself if you have

the energy to spend a few hours at the Immigration office, I'm sure that other members will

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Added note USA embassy does not provide "address verification" means he requires a certificate of residence.

Not possible in Bangkok.

Please - bear with me for a day or 2!  I have NEVER been on a message board like this before and being new year my 'helper' is not available until January 1 or 2. 

I am so appreciative of all this information but honestly very overwhelming at this time.  I will reply to everyone as soon as possible.  

Thank You and Happy New Year!  Sincerely, JD

Thanks very much for all your comments!  However, I still need some clarity on:

1) The Thai government website seems to say someone applying for a retirement visa must have proof of pension or regular income from a source outside of Thailand that is not less than THB ฿65,000 per month.  It also says an applicant must meet the financial requirement by opening and maintaining a Thai bank account with at least THB ฿800,000.  BUT, my question is are both required for a retirement visa? 

2) Also, is it true that if I apply while I am in the country, I don't have to present proof of health insurance? I have seen conflicting info about that.  I currently am living in Argentina, but have U.S. Citizenship.

3) What is the “Medical Certificate” and what is the ‘physical testing’ requirement?  Can I be denied this visa because of any ‘pre-existing’ health issue? 

4) Is it better to apply for retirement residency from where I am now overseas, or is it better to apply after I arrive in Thailand?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

4 minutes ago, ME100 said:

Thanks very much for all your comments!  However, I still need some clarity on:

1) The Thai government website seems to say someone applying for a retirement visa must have proof of pension or regular income from a source outside of Thailand that is not less than THB ฿65,000 per month.  It also says an applicant must meet the financial requirement by opening and maintaining a Thai bank account with at least THB ฿800,000.  BUT, my question is are both required for a retirement visa? 

2) Also, is it true that if I apply while I am in the country, I don't have to present proof of health insurance? I have seen conflicting info about that.  I currently am living in Argentina, but have U.S. Citizenship.

3) What is the “Medical Certificate” and what is the ‘physical testing’ requirement?  Can I be denied this visa because of any ‘pre-existing’ health issue? 

4) Is it better to apply for retirement residency from where I am now overseas, or is it better to apply after I arrive in Thailand?

1)

OR

2) 

O visa applied for in Thailand -- NO INSURANCE NEEDED

3) 

Not needed for O visa. 

Needed for O-A visa applied for in home country or if you're a permanent resident of another country.

4) If you can get a single entry 90 day O visa in the Thai embassy in Buenos Aires (I used that embassy myself for a tourist visa) then go for it as it saves you the step of getting an O visa in Thailand. I doubt they will though. But you can ask!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ME100 said:

The forum could state the same to questions asked previously.

Which country are you currently in (USA?)

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name only

Can you afford to keep 800k in the Thai bank account (income method) 

On 12/31/2023 at 1:45 PM, DrJack54 said:

Not possible in Bangkok.

Yes, I didn't intend for it to be a comprehensive guide. Getting a bank account these days is something I thankfully have not had to do. I've had my accounts for 10 years already. BTW how does one obtain a bank account in country on a tourist visa? Is it even possible lately? (within the bounds of thai law?)

Edited by likerdup1

16 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

BTW how does one obtain a bank account in country on a tourist visa? Is it even possible lately?

It's certainly different than years gone by.

Most provinces require a certificate of residence from immigration and that might be possible with a tourist visa and even visa exempt stamp.

(not possible in Bangkok) 

Alternatively a "residence certification" from embassy, however USA,UK,AU do not provide that service.

It's possible purchase of insurance would assist the process.

Use of an agent is an alternative, however that also currently seems less straight forward. 

The OP in this thread asks questions however no good at answering questions such as "do you have a Thai bank account"

If not then it might be advantageous to obtain the non O prior to entering Thailand

On 12/31/2023 at 7:12 AM, ezzra said:

of everything,

800,000 only has to be in the bank on the day of application 

On 12/31/2023 at 10:26 AM, ezzra said:

Not sure where you get your information from but I beg to differ as i have just renewed my Non-o retirement visa at CW where the details in my post were reaffirmed to me...

He will be applying for a 90 day O Visa based on retirement, money just needs to be in the account on day of application 

• Agree 2