Identification at airport

Hi, how are you identified at immigration at airport, more specifically Bangkok airport? With passport number? I have read countless times that even if you have a new passport all your information is on the immigration system. When renewing passport your passport number change so how exactly are you identified?

Just something that's been puzzling me.

• Confused 5
  • Haha 1

You're supposed to 'transfer' your entry and recent extension stamp over to the new passport at immigration but you can also take both the old and new passports with you when you leave.

I last used the two passport method some time ago - like 13 years ago or something, since then I had another new passport and did the transfer at immigration during the covid lockdown periods.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LauChan said:

Hi, how are you identified at immigration at airport, more specifically Bangkok airport? With passport number? I have read countless times that even if you have a new passport all your information is on the immigration system. When renewing passport your passport number change so how exactly are you identified?

Change your name, your citizenship, even your appearance - if you've had your biometrics done and the system is working, that will identify you. I believe they can also use a more rudimentary method - name, date of birth, place of birth.

If you even get the chance turn around and take a glance at the screen the I.O. is looking at for entrants behind you - all your previous entries and passports (since biometrics started) are there on the screen. I was actually shown mine once.

I thank god for biometrics - I kid you not, there's a guy in my home town in the UK that not only has the same name as me, his date of birth is the same too - albeit 1 year different.  We also both worked in the same trade at one time!  That guy was a regular visitor at the local police station and similarities in our ID have caused me several problems over the years.  Thankfully we weren't born in the same town.

Thank you all. Yes a bit concerned about history, but will be out of country just over 3 months when I enter again.

I have south african passport and cannot do evisa and that is a problem as there isn't an embassy in the city where I live.

Will make sure all requirements met for visa exempt.

Thailand has biometrics.

Only way to get around that is to hack the Gov server and delete everything.

Notice the hackers have never done that but hacked just about every other system over the years.. probably one of the most secure archives within Thailand lol.

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What biometrics are on a UK passport? Mine was re-newed in 2018, no fingerprints, eye scan, nothing.

I know there is a chip with all the same details as on the first page. But is that all?

Before biometric passports were a thing there was an entry on the " observations" page of a new British passport that stated that the holder previously travelled on passport number ×××××××××. They would also note down any bans from travelling to certain countries. All that information is now on the chip in the biometric passports. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What biometrics are on a UK passport? Mine was re-newed in 2018, no fingerprints, eye scan, nothing.

I know there is a chip with all the same details as on the first page. But is that all?

It's in the chip. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, LauChan said:

Passport handed over with your presence, the immig officer looks at you to match passport to face, camera take your photograph and fingerprints on the reader. Immig scans your passport in their pc puts a stamp scribbles a signature on the stamp and lets you go.

Edited by freeworld

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

It's in the chip. 

What is in the chip though. I have never had my dabs taken (well not in UK) or retina scan. I have decreased in height by 3cm in the past few years, and my hair is not the same.

13 minutes ago, Antiparovian said:

Passports have things called "chips" embedded in them. They store "memory".

Did I not say that. They store DATA not memory. But I would like to know what data they store.

21 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Before biometric passports were a thing there was an entry on the " observations" page of a new British passport that stated that the holder previously travelled on passport number ×××××××××. They would also note down any bans from travelling to certain countries. All that information is now on the chip in the biometric passports. 

Those details are not BIOmetric, which means physical details of your body.

5 hours ago, Dan O said:

Your finger prints along with your biodata encrypted in the passport is captured and any new passport goes into your files in the data base

As I have said previously, I have NEVER had my dabs taken in UK.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

My guess would be one reason is to identify people whose other ID parameters change.

Like height, hair colour/style, facial hair, coloured contact lenses, scars etc etc.

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

or retina scan.

That is done on the PP photos that are very specific in size, and also the crown of your head to your chin is measured some from the the crown, to the center of nose then down to the chin. That is how you enter The UK you must look directly into the camera or the gate won't open.

ppp.png.c781efc988eb9416f1c384c3fa714e1d.png

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That is done on the PP photos that are very specific in size

Not anymore. I renewed my passport in the UK September last year and submitted a digital photo the wife took with my phone. So photo doesn't need to be any specific size, just very clear. Clearly they do create come sort of facial map from the photo which is used for the UK e-gates.

Edited by Stocky
  • Agree 1

Just now, Stocky said:

Not anymore. I renewed my passport in the UK September last year and submitted a digital photo the wife took with my phone. So photo doesn't need to be any specific size anymore, just very clear. Clearly they do make create come sort of facial map from the photo which is used for the UK e-gates.

And on the subject of ID photos, I just re-newed my Thai driving licence, and the photo which they took is 50% of the shirt I was wearing. I asked the girl why, and she said those were the rules she had been given. Same on my Pink ID card.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

There is no way that the resolution on a passport size photo can be used as a retina scan subject. 

So explain to me how the automatic gates won't open unless you look straight into the camera.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So explain to me how the automatic gates won't open unless you look straight into the camera.

It's probably measuring other parameters of your face. My passport photo is without specs, but I do not have to take them off to go through eGates.

The Thai system is comparing the gate camera with the photo which they have taken and keep on file. But even so, there is no way the resolution from their camera, or on my Passport photo can reveal that finer detail.

They have facial recognition abilities in a lot of countries, but none taking iris scan into consideration.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2