2023 confirmed as world's hottest year on record

CharlieH

18 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Too much climate denying going on. This is not a religion that you can choose to believe in or not. This is science, hard facts. 
You must all really not like your (grand)children very much, by sticking your head in the sand, denying the obvious and keep ruining the world for the next generations.

If we keep going like this, it will get a lot hotter before it’s going to cool down again, and mankind will very probably not be around to witness it, apart from maybe a few isolated pockets.

Many of them they don't want to get rid of the F100 as they only have a few years left and it'll see them out.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cmjl said:

Sticking my head above the parapet,The BiasedBroadcastCorporation,like The Guardian are very good at scaremongering,this article brings to mind the saying 'there are lies,damn lies and statistics' anything can be manipulated to suit an agenda and there is a lot of money being made by the people who are cultivating the agenda.

Are you going to blame things like earthquakes and volcanic eruptions on climate change/global warming because they also cause a lot of pollution,pray tell,how will governments stop those happening and don't get me started on the amount of deliberate pollution that is happening in places like Ukraine,Syria and Gaza,again, there is a lot of money involved.

Then there is the massive problem of over population the world over,more people = more 'raping' of the worlds resources

We can all do our bit by not being so wasteful but we can't change the weather and the so called green movement is not green when everything is costed out.

I will now put my head below the parapet again ready for the incoming!

You are quite right to point out the population and resource aspects. The world population has tripled since 1950 but these extra 5.4 billion people use up more than three times the amount of resources, far more wastefully in many cases, than was possible right after the end of WWII. Real needs, plus many less vital demands, from all these extra people have prompted much more farming, which has resulted in massive land clearance and deforestation, so that (previously) large carbon sinks around the world are now much smaller. Not the whole issue but very significant.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

You are quite right to point out the population and resource aspects. The world population has tripled since 1950 but these extra 5.4 billion people use up more than three times the amount of resources, far more wastefully in many cases, than was possible right after the end of WWII. Real needs, plus many less vital demands, from all these extra people have prompted much more farming, which has resulted in massive land clearance and deforestation, so that (previously) large carbon sinks around the world are now much smaller. Not the whole issue but very significant.

It played a role, but not that much. Economic development and consumer society played a much more significant role. From this chart, it can be seen that:

- until the end of the 80's the growth of CO2 EMISSIONS mainly occurred in developped countries,

- if you compare China (low population growth, high GDP growth) to India and Africa (high population growth, lower GDP growth), the comparison is eloquent.

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions

Screenshot_20240110-193609.png

1 hour ago, candide said:

It played a role, but not that much. Economic development and consumer society played a much more significant role. From this chart, it can be seen that:

- until the end of the 80's the growth of CO2 EMISSIONS mainly occurred in developed countries,

- if you compare China (low population growth, high GDP growth) to India and Africa (high population growth, lower GDP growth), the comparison is eloquent.

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions

Screenshot_20240110-193609.png

Not that much? What do you think drove the increase in hydrocarbon usage - therefore emissions?

I was talking about the world from 1950, not individual regions. 

And China - low population growth? Are you kidding? Below chart from your own source - more than doubled from 1950 - 2000!

image.png.54d3aaa071366475ba3d6c87c5f0a20d.png

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

Any evidence that there has been an increase in volcanic activity or earthquake activity to account for this rise in average temperature.

No impact by earthquakes on global warming.

Volcanoes have a minor cooling function due to emissions of silicon dioxide.

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

Actually, insofar as the climate can be changed due to the rise in greenhouse gasses, the frequency of different weather conditions will change too.

Climate is what you expect.

Weather is what you get.

9 hours ago, placeholder said:

If it was the Guardian that was responsible for the 1.48 figure you might have a point. It is only reporting on it.

Any evidence that there has been an increase in volcanic activity or earthquake activity to account for this rise in average temperature.

Actually, insofar as the climate can be changed due to the rise in greenhouse gasses, the frequency of different weather conditions will change too.

And it's been costed our frequently. Apart from costs of climate change, the IMF reckons that fossil fuels are directly and indirectly subsidized at a cost of about 5 percent of global GDP. Most of that cost comes from the effects of pollution on health.

Statistics can and often are manipulated to suit agendas.The IMF is about making money and there is a lot of money to be made both directly and indirectly pushing the green agenda,I bet they haven't done an unbiased comparison between the subsidies for fossil fuels and green energy.

In the push for green energy acres of land are being covered in solar panels and wind turbines are mushrooming both on and off shore causing untold damage to nature and the environment. Then if we take into consideration the fact that cobalt,lithium and other rare earth minerals are needed in ever larger quantities and are being mined by children as young as 7yo and then there's the toxic lakes caused by the washing of these minerals...........

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, cmjl said:

Sticking my head above the parapet,The BiasedBroadcastCorporation,like The Guardian are very good at scaremongering,this article brings to mind the saying 'there are lies,damn lies and statistics' anything can be manipulated to suit an agenda and there is a lot of money being made by the people who are cultivating the agenda.

Are you going to blame things like earthquakes and volcanic eruptions on climate change/global warming because they also cause a lot of pollution,pray tell,how will governments stop those happening and don't get me started on the amount of deliberate pollution that is happening in places like Ukraine,Syria and Gaza,again, there is a lot of money involved.

Then there is the massive problem of over population the world over,more people = more 'raping' of the worlds resources

We can all do our bit by not being so wasteful but we can't change the weather and the so called green movement is not green when everything is costed out.

I will now put my head below the parapet again ready for the incoming!

Thanks for the laugh.

You can put your head back down below the parapet again now.

Job’s a good ‘un.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I will continue to follow the example set by the politicians and the celebrities lecturing the plebs about this.

In other words, I will fly as much as I want to, drive large gas gussling cars, purchase more high performance ICE motorbikes and live in the largest house I can possibly afford.

When they consider the so called 'climate emergency" to be serious enough to change their behaviour, I may consider joining the Doomsday cult. Until then, let them continue writing their silly articles and preaching from the altar at the Golden Globes.  

Don’t forget to leave your engine running when you park to go shopping, leave your heating/air conditioning on full blast 24/7, fill your airline luggage with rocks if you don’t meet the baggage allowance and rev your engine at traffic lights.

You’re the man Jonny, burn those fossil fuels.

Oh get a T-shirt with the words ‘Guzzler’ printed front and back, just incase anyone misses your infantile point.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

True to form, you have missed "the point", again...

When Bill Gates buys oceanside property, takes private jets everywhere and owns a fleet of cars it makes me wonder how seriously he is taking the "climate emergency". It's almost as if he knows it's all a load of <deleted>. When Harry flies a private jet to a polo game from his 16 bathroom mansion and gets picked up by a fleet of Range Rovers, it's almost as if he knows it's all a load of <deleted>. 

So if these people do not see the need to change their behaviour, with all their superior knowledge and virtue, it stands to reason that neither do I.

But feel free to give up your 2 weeks in the sun and freeze in the winter. They won't be. 

Like I say Jonny, get that ‘Guzzler’ T-shirt.

If Bill Gates ever sees you in it he’ll get your message.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Like I say Jonny, get that ‘Guzzler’ T-shirt.

If Bill Gates ever sees you in it he’ll get your message.

Confirmation that you are unable to counter any of my points with an intelligent argument. 

Poor form Chomps.

Maybe when you have a private moment away from the forum, think about why these celebs and politicians don't alter their own behaviour if they know/care so much. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1