Thailand moves to ban recreational cannabis use, 18 months after historic decriminalization

webfact

5 hours ago, Denim said:

Next up alcohol free beer and wine in the interests  of public health and safety.

Now that would be a really useful law.

it would actually do some good.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, shackleton said:

A lot of people have invested a lot of money in this business 

Especially enticing Tourists to come to Thailand and enjoy the delights of cannabis 😱

All those cannabis shops will be still stuck in the lease if sales dry up. Especially those who heard about the gold rush late and followed the crowd to get rich. Heard that one before.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, n00dle said:

exactly.  

medicinal vagina, not recreational.

Be nice if they would dispense that at the hospital.. My doc could write me a script and my insurance would pay for it !

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

And no reasons given? there are thousands of Thais who have have invested heavily and started business in either

growing or selling cannabis, and now the wishy-washy government of dufuses headed by a billionaire are moving the

goal posts, what next? going back to the previous opening hours of bars and restaurants?...

This is nothing new: governments throughout all countries encourage one thing, naive people invest into this, and once everyone is seriously indebted, governments make a U-turn. Then, banks seize all properties from the same naive people who cannot pay back their debts.

Remember the subprime crisis in 2007? Similar story!

Same story everywhere with people being encouraged to start smoking, just to only be ostracized like criminals decades later (I am a non-smoker, so just observing). Or to buy diesel cars and then be called all possible names in the name of the climate, etc...

Conclusion: never trust any government, never ever follow the masses either!

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The relaxed laws saw a lucrative cannabis industry catering to locals and foreigners alike boom across the Southeast Asian nation, but a new conservative coalition government came to power late last year vowing to tighten the rules and only allow medical use.

Which is what Anutin said before he let the fiasco continue, giving free plants to households and allowing cannabis shops to open everywhere and online sellers to have a share in the market.

It was simply and purely a vote buying popularity exercise for him.

I bet he's really peeved now, watching his lucrative sideline be destroyed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Modern Coding said:

This is nothing new: governments throughout all countries encourage one thing, naive people invest into this, and once everyone is seriously indebted, governments make a U-turn. Then, banks seize all properties from the same naive people who cannot pay back their debts.

Remember the subprime crisis in 2007? Similar story!

Same story everywhere with people being encouraged to start smoking, just to only be ostracized like criminals decades later (I am a non-smoker, so just observing). Or to buy diesel cars and then be called all possible names in the name of the climate, etc...

Conclusion: never trust any government, never ever follow the masses either!

Governments often have a change of policy and change their minds about things .

People were encouraged to smoke many years ago, that was before they realised the dangers of smoking . 

Governments change and policies change , that's no reason to become an @narchist 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JimboB4 said:

Eye roll emoji where is it? 

IMG_0436.png

And actually I have seen medical certificates from when the program first stood up. I still have a few of the old copies from the first shop registered in Bangkok. 

5 hours ago, LS24 said:

One local near me has invested heavily in a weed shop, a cafe beside the weed shop and then a weed bar. All high end finishes and quite stylish. In speaking with him on pre-opening drinks night, he did mention that he was taking a gamble and that he was concerned that legislation will eventually catch up with him. He does have a plan to pivot. He seems like a smart operator.

But there will be a lot of people selling cheap hydroponic set ups and others reneging on property leases. As regularly happens in Thailand, subtlety is not common. This could have easily just stepped into mainstream with no fanfare and existed happily in Thai society. But, no. Weed shops to counter the number of 7-11 in some locations ruined it for everyone.

..looks like an 'underground supply chain' has been well and truly established now.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Mostly people previously employed in legit jobs and businesses that got closed permanently by the draconian Covid restrictions here.

Funny ha ha, eh?

what you dribbling about ?

• Confused 1