Chris Christie exits 2024 White House race with parting shot at Trump

CharlieH

image.png

Former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has dropped out of the presidential race with a parting shot at frontrunner Donald Trump.

"I am going to make sure that in no way do I enable Donald Trump to ever be president of the United States again," the Trump ally-turned-critic said.

The Republican had faced pressure to step aside and allow the party to unify around a viable challenger to Mr Trump.

He did not endorse anyone as he bowed out of the race.

But on a hot mic moments before he announced he was ending his bid, Mr Christie predicted that Nikki Haley, who is gaining on Mr Trump in some polls, was "going to get smoked, and you and I both know it".

"She's not up to this," he added. He also said another rival, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, was "petrified".

Mr Christie, 61, said he was suspending his campaign at a town hall event in the US state of New Hampshire on Wednesday afternoon.

He devoted much of his remarks to a plea to Republican voters to reject the former president, who he accused of "putting himself before the people of this country".

"Donald Trump wants you to be angry every day because he is angry," he added.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Agree 2

Leaving the race, Christie may hurt Trump.

New Hampshire holds a "semi-open" primary that allows unregistered voters (aka Independent voters) in addition to registered Republicans to vote in the Republican primary.

According to current registrations, Republicans represent about 30% and independent voters about 40%. 

The unregistered voters have the potential to put Halley in first place. 

Edited by Srikcir
Msp
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Leaving the race, Christie may hurt Trump.

New Hampshire holds a "semi-open" primary that allows unregistered voters (aka Independent voters) in addition to registered Republicans to vote in the Republican primary.

According to current registrations, Republicans represent about 30% and independent voters about 40%. 

The unregistered voters have the potential to put Halley in first place. 

I was just thinking the same thing. I so would care to hear the responses by the MAGA posters, as far as positioning. Believing that RINO's have a different slant.

Edited by earlinclaifornia

5 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

As a Brit I am not clear what was so bad about the Trump presidency. He certainly was friendly towards the UK, unlike Biden who hates us.

He just went to Ireland. I didn't see the hate there. Maybe he just hates the English?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

As a Brit I am not clear what was so bad about the Trump presidency. He certainly was friendly towards the UK, unlike Biden who hates us.

If by friendly towards the UK you mean that he supported Brexit, maybe. But I suspect his motives weren't so much about being friendly towards brexit as they were about being hostile towards the EU. I'm sure that hostility pleased his good buddy, Vladimir Putin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

How about that insurrection thing?

Or Trump wanting to get out of NATO?

Or endorsing Boris Johnson for PM?

1 hour ago, candide said:

Ahem.. Biden hates UK...

Is that why he enrolled UK in his strategic defense alliances worldwide? Or increased cooperation in military equipment (such as submarines for Australia - which won't delivered soon, but that's another story).

The main reason Trump liked a brexited UK was that he liked anything who would weaken the EU.

And he could then make a free trade pact with the UK and sideline the EU, thereby weakening it in a way that he could not while the UK remained in the EU. Nobody should be under any delusion that Trump did anything other than carry water for Putin ever since he was elected.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Tug said:

He’s not my kinda candidate but he does have a backbone and principles my respects sir and I hope you succeed in your next endeavors you sir are on the correct side of history kudos!

He struck me as the best of the pack and seems to have some moral limits. Just don't forget why he's no longer Governor of NJ.

7 minutes ago, BusyB said:

He struck me as the best of the pack and seems to have some moral limits. Just don't forget why he's no longer Governor of NJ.

I haven’t,I remember when he engineered that traffic jam to discredit his Democratic rival that was underhanded it was especially galling to one who was stuck in traffic many many times after working 12 hour shifts.he still called out trump for what he is,he has backbone and principles he is on the correct side of history I do wish him well and I respect him for putting principles before career and yup he plays dirty…..

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

And he could then make a free trade pact with the UK and sideline the EU, thereby weakening it in a way that he could not while the UK remained in the EU. Nobody should be under any delusion that Trump did anything other than carry water for Putin ever since he was elected.

Oh, I remember that. Brexiteers were all excited about the perspective of such a deal, which never came up! 

5 hours ago, Tug said:

I haven’t,I remember when he engineered that traffic jam to discredit his Democratic rival that was underhanded it was especially galling to one who was stuck in traffic many many times after working 12 hour shifts.he still called out trump for what he is,he has backbone and principles he is on the correct side of history I do wish him well and I respect him for putting principles before career and yup he plays dirty…..

Me too ... like I said he was the best of the pack. He's the kind of Rep I can basically deal with - while keeping' a close eye on 'em 555

• Agree 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:21 PM, charleskerins said:

He got the votes because he's an ignorant,stupid ahole  like most of the folks that voted for him .One could call them deplorable.

It's insulting posts like that which means I don't take you seriously.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/12/2024 at 2:35 AM, Walker88 said:

trump was the first President since Herbert Hoover in 1932 to leave office with fewer Americans employed than when he entered,

You obviously know covid existed as you mentioned it but omit to mention that in connection with low employment which is somewhat dishonest IMO.

You are pretty full on with the "all Trump supporters are loser slimeballs etc." IMO rather arrogant, considering the opposition to Trump voted for the bumbler in chief, Biden, LOL.

Although I don't really want Trump to win as your side will just do a repeat of the first time, on the other hand I want him to win just to spite people that disrespect millions of US citizens for their democratic choices. If the Dems don't want Trump to win again, they could come up with a decent candidate instead of warmongering Joe, and his IMO useless sidekick Harris.

• Confused 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:25 AM, Danderman123 said:

How about that insurrection thing?

Or Trump wanting to get out of NATO?

Or endorsing Boris Johnson for PM?

Seems that to you Trump is just so dumb that he would actually call for the overthrow of the US government! Had he done so he's be in jail now, so obviously he didn't.

Trump wanted out of NATO, do tell? I recall he wanted other countries to pay their fair share, but you never pass up a chance to say silly things, do you?

What was wrong with voting for Boris? A lot of Brits voted for him.

• Confused 1