How many millions of baht does one need to retire in Pattaya?

advancebooking

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Flybird is a big step down from Nirun.

I'd never been to Flybird before so I decided to check it out. It was every bit as bad as it looks in the pictures.  The hallways are even worse!  I hadn't been to Nirun in a couple years. After seeing Flybird it looked downright posh in comparison.  Better than I remember.  Maybe they are doing a better job cleaning the hallways and fixing light fixtures now.  Some of the condos for rent there don't look too bad for the price.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

I'd never been to Flybird before so I decided to check it out. It was every bit as bad as it looks in the pictures.  The hallways are even worse!  I hadn't been to Nirun in a couple years. After seeing Flybird it looked downright posh in comparison.  Better than I remember.  Maybe they are doing a better job cleaning the hallways and fixing light fixtures now.  Some of the condos for rent there don't look too bad for the price.

There are better options than those 2 in the area, in the same league, 9 Karat, Pattaya Pad, Pattaya Plaza. Personally it's better to pay a few hundred more and buy elsewhere

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There are better options than those 2 in the area, in the same league, 9 Karat, Pattaya Pad, Pattaya Plaza. Personally it's better to pay a few hundred more and buy elsewhere

9 Karat, they don't get many people complaining. Don't they get tossed off the roof?

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

9 Karat is quite a bit worse than Nirun.  I would say about as bad as Flybird but more quiet location.  The pool is not bad though.  Pattaya Pad is about the same as Nirun imo but no pool.  It's more of a high rise so hard to compare.  Pattaya Plaza is not a consideration for me being on the other side of Sukhumvit.  If I am going to live in a dump, I want to at least be on the Pattaya side.  

I would rather live in Spanish Condo than on the other side of Sukhumvit.  Looks very quiet and peaceful there.  Haven't look inside any of the buildings though.  The ones closer to Sukhumvit don't look too bad.  Bit if a walk to anything.

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

9 Karat is quite a bit worse than Nirun.  I would say about as bad as Flybird but more quiet location.  The pool is not bad though.  Pattaya Pad is about the same as Nirun imo but no pool.  It's more of a high rise so hard to compare.  Pattaya Plaza is not a consideration for me being on the other side of Sukhumvit.  If I am going to live in a dump, I want to at least be on the Pattaya side.  

I would rather live in Spanish Condo than on the other side of Sukhumvit.  Looks very quiet and peaceful there.  Haven't look inside any of the buildings though.  The ones closer to Sukhumvit don't look too bad.  Bit if a walk to anything.

i met one guy who lived in Spanish condo, really liked it and cheap. Have a look around Pratumnak area, for a few hundred more you get a lot more

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

I was interested in Spanish at one point and liked the vibe walking through there. Just felt less ghetto-ish somehow. Had lots of trees if I remember correctly. Having something around other then concrete makes a big difference. Has less of a typical Thai style feel and more of a European feel.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2024 at 2:20 AM, BritManToo said:

If you think sex is a pain in the bum, you're probably doing it wrong!

Rent at 30kbht/month seems massively out of line for a single guy.

My 3 bedroom house costs 10kbht/month.

As for income, massive boasters on this forum, the reality is most have nothing but their state pension.

When the Brit DWP pays out a week late, look at all the complaint posts on these forums ..........

Most people seem to be living hand to mouth, pension doesn't arrive on time and they don't eat.

(Brit pension is 800GBP/4 weeks, that's about $1,000US/month)

I don't know what someone's income has to do with my post.  However, I agree that there are a lot of boasters on AN.  Generally, I find that people who have money, don't talk about it.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 8:54 PM, EdrigoSalvadore said:

My friend bought a condo last year in Pattaya for 8k per sqm. Flybird. He's very happy and has renovated it to western standard for less than 100k.

A 26sqm box 

I stayed in FLYBIRD for 6 months back in 2019 

Noisy , drunks ,banging of doors , hot in the hallways , constantly chain rattling on doors 

On 1/12/2024 at 2:27 PM, advancebooking said:

How can you be so obtuse. 

https://dailyhodl.com/2024/01/11/cathie-wood-issues-bullish-alert-says-etf-approval-has-raised-probability-of-bitcoin-skyrocketing-to-1500000/

In 10 years time I think you will have regrets. I hope that you will remember this conversation we had. 

Its the smartest people that I know (friends) who have ALL missed the boat with bitcoin. 

I see that the value of Bitcoin has declined by around 20% in less than two weeks. I should have listened to your sage advice to invest........555

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

A 26sqm box 

I stayed in FLYBIRD for 6 months back in 2019 

Noisy , drunks ,banging of doors , hot in the hallways , constantly chain rattling on doors 

But you still stayed for 6 months?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 8:21 AM, Keeps said:

I see that the value of Bitcoin has declined by around 20% in less than two weeks. I should have listened to your sage advice to invest........555

Aaand it's back up again.  I'm sure the anonymous internet people will be claiming they timed the market almost perfectly again.  It's funny how they seem to be so good at that.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

I currently have nearly 20  million baht in my retirement fund and I will not retire until I make it at least 25 million .!!!

And that means working overtime,weekends , shift work,12 hours etc ,I will do it 

Even at my age of 60 I will keep going until I achieve to that 25 million 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Well I think you need about 3 million a year for comfortable life so multiply that by 35 years and then factor in inflation at 5 % average.....so the 3 million grows to 6 million a year in 15 years. and 12 million after 30 years. I don't know because I can't do this <deleted> in my head anymore and I don't want to pull up a calculator....but it's roughly 257 million baht. If he only lives 30 years then it falls to 192 million baht. 

Edited by retarius
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

And then drop dead from overwork, exhaustion and stress.  555

Yes definitely,I'm starting to feel the stress , I have been working the last week mostly 6am to 6pm because many have called in sick ,then working afternoon shift ,then doing a night shift 11pm to 7am then back to morning shift the following day 6am to 2pm I'm very tired, 

but I'm pushing on because there's no way I want to be living in my future  retired life in Pattaya in the .....NIRUN or FLYBIRD !!

Edited by georgegeorgia

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I currently have nearly 20  million baht in my retirement fund and I will not retire until I make it at least 25 million .!!!

And that means working overtime,weekends , shift work,12 hours etc ,I will do it 

Even at my age of 60 I will keep going until I achieve to that 25 million 

No point being the richest man in the graveyard. 25mTHB invested cautiously should still generate 1mTHB per year without reducing the capital over say, any 5 year rolling period.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

If this is a serious post subject, I spend circa 1 million Baht per year for a comfortable life. Add a 5 million health reserve in the bank and there you have it. 

Agreed. And if you own your home, probably even less.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Yes I was looking at spending around 2 million in Pattaya for at least a 1 bedroom condo 

I like that Arcadia waters condo  in I think it's Soi 5 thappayra?

But may have to spend more I don't want to be cramped in a small room 

Then trying  living on less than a million baht a year 

I don't drink or smoke but even then I'm unsure if it's possible 

I like to go to the doctor every week for a blood test and check up just in case I have a illness I don't know,I think Dr Oliver was charging me around 700-  1000 baht  I cant remember 

Medical insurance maybe the killer in the budget 

Edited by georgegeorgia

On 1/21/2024 at 11:31 AM, MangoKorat said:

I don't know what someone's income has to do with my post.  However, I agree that there are a lot of boasters on AN.  Generally, I find that people who have money, don't talk about it.

If they had money why arent they staying in nice hotels every week? Why would you go live in some average condo in Pattaya? People with money stay on Ko Kood and pay 20,000 a night.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes I was looking at spending around 2 million in Pattaya for at least a 1 bedroom condo 

I like that Arcadia waters condo  in I think it's Soi 5 thappayra?

But may have to spend more I don't want to be cramped in a small room 

Then trying  living on less than a million baht a year 

I don't drink or smoke but even then I'm unsure if it's possible 

I like to go to the doctor every week for a blood test and check up just in case I have a illness I don't know,I think Dr Oliver was charging me around 700-  1000 baht  I cant remember 

Medical insurance maybe the killer in the budget 

Are you serious? Blood test weekly? In between bar visit?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, uttradit said:

Are you serious? Blood test weekly? In between bar visit?

I don't go to bars to drink alcohol.

As for being hypochondriac whilst in Pattaya last year for my 5 week stay I visited Dr Oliver I believe about twice  or 3 a week so much he didn't charge me some visits ,he actually walked out of his room and said to the reception not to charge me today , I done blood tests , liver tests , etc fantastic doctor 👍

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1