Cheez Whiz

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It got to the stage when I was in America that I would order a starter and dessert and miss out the main course. People really, really do not need to eat that much. I've never forgotten once walking behind three women of a certain size in Orlando, dreading that they might spontaneously explode and cover me in nastiness. But, fortunately, they turned into an all you can eat restaurant and I lived to tell the tale. 

A few memories:

A guy in a Tony Romano's restaurant in LA, eating ribs. About 2 feet long.

Roast beef in Pittsburgh, the size of a loaf of bread.

Baked scrod in Norwalk, Connecticut, the size of a small pillow.

Spaghetti bolognaise in Consohocken, served in a tureen.

And Americans wonder why they have a problem with obesity.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Did you forget the "-" there??

We are a nation divided.

The bogans have Christmas dinner with roast beef and plum pudding, just like Brits do. Sensible in the UK, insanity in 40 C.

We civilized Australians, who are not descended from the dregs of English society, eat cold crayfish with a Vasse Felix classic dry white on December 25.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I don't think you read the bit about weak piss needing to be served colder.

Australian beer is no different to American or UK beers, average ABV  4-5%. As with any other country, there are weaker and stronger ABV's available there.

I don't think you do any research before posting stupid comments.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Australian beer is no different to American or UK beers, average ABV  4-5%. As with any other country, there are weaker and stronger ABV's available there.

I don't think you do any research before posting stupid comments.

Obviously more research than you as I posted a link to beer serving temperatures. 

44 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Obviously more research than you as I posted a link to beer serving temperatures. 

You think it's sensible to serve beer at 10 C when it is 40 C in the shade?

If you did that in outback Australia, you would be tarred and feathered.

18 hours ago, novacova said:

Occasionally my wife gets a hankering to chomp at the local scarf&barf for a dish smothered with counterfeit CheezWhiz, admittedly I’ve succumbed with regret.

IMG_1701.jpeg

Makes me long for chicken fried steak.

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A few memories:

A guy in a Tony Romano's restaurant in LA, eating ribs. About 2 feet long.

Roast beef in Pittsburgh, the size of a loaf of bread.

Baked scrod in Norwalk, Connecticut, the size of a small pillow.

Spaghetti bolognaise in Consohocken, served in a tureen.

And Americans wonder why they have a problem with obesity.

I doubt that's true today. Or at least not so "widely spread." Reason? Most people who eat piles of food like that can no longer afford what it costs to eat out. I do wonder when things changed in the US. Back in the 80s obesity was not so much a problem. I'm betting a lot of this can be blamed on millennials. Read a story a few years back where as a demographic group they had stopped eating cereal for breakfast because they didn't want to clean the cereal bowl afterwards. Those aren't the sort of people to cook for themselves.

14 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I doubt that's true today. Or at least not so "widely spread." Reason? Most people who eat piles of food like that can no longer afford what it costs to eat out. I do wonder when things changed in the US. Back in the 80s obesity was not so much a problem. I'm betting a lot of this can be blamed on millennials. Read a story a few years back where as a demographic group they had stopped eating cereal for breakfast because they didn't want to clean the cereal bowl afterwards. Those aren't the sort of people to cook for themselves.

You may be right, it's a long time since I was there on a regular basis.

I blame obesity on two factors - sugar in everything, and the prevalence of cheap processed foods - pasta, rice, bread etc.

For me, eating low carb vegetables and low glycemic fruit worked wonders, after banning sugar in everything I could.

As a bonus, I also found I could eat as much protein, yoghurt, and cheese as I wanted, without putting weight back on.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right, it's a long time since I was there on a regular basis.

I blame obesity on two factors - sugar in everything, and the prevalence of cheap processed foods - pasta, rice, bread etc.

For me, eating low carb vegetables and low glycemic fruit worked wonders, after banning sugar in everything I could.

As a bonus, I also found I could eat as much protein, yoghurt, and cheese as I wanted, without putting weight back on.

That, and the American lifestyle leads to inactivity. Air conditioning is everywhere, so there is no "penalty" for being fat and uncomfortable in the heat. And I suspect that a good portion of the population doesn't walk even 100 meters per day. Maybe 5 meters to their car; 10 meters from the car to the workplace, reverse all that; and include 10-15 meters per day from the kitchen to the lounger/sofa in front of the TV. The "workout" comes once per week when they go to Walmart to shop for groceries. (I know this sounds exaggerated, but is it really?)

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

That, and the American lifestyle leads to inactivity. Air conditioning is everywhere, so there is no "penalty" for being fat and uncomfortable in the heat. And I suspect that a good portion of the population doesn't walk even 100 meters per day. Maybe 5 meters to their car; 10 meters from the car to the workplace, reverse all that; and include 10-15 meters per day from the kitchen to the lounger/sofa in front of the TV. The "workout" comes once per week when they go to Walmart to shop for groceries. (I know this sounds exaggerated, but is it really?)

One can diet all they want, but there's not much point if the existing body fat is not burned up with exercise.

Back on topic, Cheez Whiz sounds and looks absolutely revolting. Flavored plasticine.

This is what I call real cheese.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/217927/king-island-dairy-lighthouse-blue-cheese-cheese

Haven't seen the spray Cheez Whiz; called squeeze cheese by us  midwesterners. 

The jar Cheez Whiz is available at Villa Market. It's great on an onion bagel with chopped ham. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. (I also like cream cheese, but prefer the plastic cheese occasionally) 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 4:23 AM, Crossy said:

Even as a Brit from 't-North (Bolton) I never got into Marmite.

Bovril, Vimto (a fruit drink and an anagram of vomit) and mushy peas, yes but Marmite :sick:

A Bolton lad who doesn't like Marmite??

You're off my next Christmas card list now.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2024 at 6:17 PM, novacova said:

Occasionally my wife gets a hankering to chomp at the local scarf&barf for a dish smothered with counterfeit CheezWhiz, admittedly I’ve succumbed with regret.

IMG_1701.jpeg

Clearly missing poutine, the other great cheese product!