Almost denied entry Hat Yai airport

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect the opposite and it was the visa that tipped the balance in securing his entry.

Almost certainly - without that visa he was probably facing outright denial of entry.

The writing was on the wall for this kind of thing 9 or 10 years ago which is why I started using the Thailand Elite visas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Almost certainly - without that visa he was probably facing outright denial of entry.

The writing was on the wall for this kind of thing 9 or 10 years ago which is why I started using the Thailand Elite visas.

Out of curiosity what do you mean the writing was on the wall for this 10 years ago

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Jealous? Of the likes of you?

Say it isn't so. Please.

Jealous of some old fart creating multiple accounts and posting BS about being denied entry / possible denied entry? lol nice one. Thanks for the laughs for today :)

45 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Kind of odd that the original poster has yet to return with any additional info regarding his situation.

He's switched to his usual account here for now and forgotten his password to login to the newly created account. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's not the case.

Visa exempt entries with short period spent outside of Thailand draws attention.

Your account is very unusual given your history of travel to Thailand 

Don't understand, why is his "history" unusual?  Seems more or less in line with most people's experience of getting an extension and counting up the days.

21 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Are you sure about that? It does happen. Sometimes an immigration officer will randomly pull one aside and bully you even if they're wrong, not checking themselves because of face.

True. I had a METV in 2019. Arriving for my last possible entry, the IO seemed to give her supervisor a signal, then said something to him like 'never mind'... - Repeat visitors, arriving often over the course of one year, or staying for an extended time on any tourist visas, or VFEs seem to be more and more unwelcome in Thailand, which explains the TAT's hype about populous countries like China and India... 'Come and visit once, leave all your money here, but don't come back anytime soon.' - Hub of hospitalty? Well...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

FWIW...I don't have a lot of faith in the thread. 

I also wonder, over the years, how many legitimate threads worried they "almost got denied" and all that really happened is they got selected for extra screening.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:
3 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Kind of odd that the original poster has yet to return with any additional info regarding his situation.

You guys need to get a hobby. He's living in your head. 

Not everyone is 'glued' all day to AN. Sometimes you have to give people a bit of time to reply...

20 hours ago, Chivas said:

Same line of grammar as someone called Siwek who had 22 posts and complained identical issue at another border few weeks ago

And what's the betting that under another pseudonym he was one of those very vocal opponents of the covid extensions that seemed to upset some on here?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well simply put, about 10 years ago you could pop back to the UK once a year and get a 1 year visa by walking into one of several consulates around the UK, pay about 100 pounds and you would be good to go for 90 day trips up to a year.

The reason for visiting Thailand was 'Visiting friends' and that's all you needed, nothing more and it took 10 to 20 minutes to get the visa stamped in your passport, they didn't use stickers at consulates - it was just a big rubber stamp. I have a few of them in my older passports.

Then they stopped that completely and started issuing all sorts of edicts about the number of entrances in a year which were also never done before. That was the writing on the wall.

<snip>

Then they decided to strap on the jackboots and put an end to it all.

So it used to be a free for all and each option was gradually removed and restricted. I couldn't believe it when they started auditing bank accounts for minimum balances in the prior 6 months - just for an extended winter holiday.
<snip>

Remember those days very fondly - my passport made an annual trip to East Yorkshire just before my "extended winter holiday" 🙄 and latterly it visited Wales - more than I've done 🤣

• Like 2

It's been a while since I flew into Hat Yai internationally, but they used to have this sign prominently displayed in the immigration arrivals hall.  I don't know if it's still there?

Maybe the OP is an alien with "hippy" characteristic (sic)?

40 baht to the dollar too.

image.png.cf66fd10bf0d0becc4fe945b42dce801.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2024 at 12:57 PM, impulse said:

Call me cynical, but I don't think claiming a Thai girlfriend helped your case...

Assuming this isn't a wind-up.

Actually I have heard of them asking about Thai GFs before and for some reason, God knows why, they seem to prefer it.  

On 1/14/2024 at 12:46 PM, Bong317 said:

I arrived Hat Yai airport on Tuesday evening from Kuala Lumpur. 

I had traveled from Ireland and only a same day transfer through KL. 

I had a tourist visa issued from British embassy. 

My travel history to Thailand was I thought not too bad. 

Last June one tourist visa with one extension and then a 30 day border run which I left after 20 days, no extension. So 110 days total last year from June to September. 

The previous year 5 months total. 

However, the IO did everything she could to deny me. 

I was well dressed, polite and had return flight, cash and hotel booking. 

She even asked to talk to my girlfriend who was waiting outside. 

She called over her boss and she tried her best to get me denied. 

Eventually he told me I was ok but after stamping my passport was told no more tourist visas "last time".

I wouldn't recommend anyone to fly in to Hat Yai airport and if you do avoid the female immigration officer line. 

I think it would of been easier if I flew on visa exempt too. 

They seem to really dislike tourist visas

What a horrible experience.

I've always hated Thai immigration and border officials for there downright cr**py hostile attitude.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1