Thai Restaurant Operators Ask Government to Unlock Alcohol Sale Hours

snoop1130

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:
1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Historically, prohibition has never been a success - anywhere.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Saudi Arabia maybe?

Not even there. I spent 15 years in KSA and was never short wine, beer and spirits. Nearly all of it home produced of course.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

"We need this as a New Year gift from the Thai government,” 

Best of luck with that!

But I agree - this outdated nonsensical law should never have been put in place in the first place and should have been lifted at the same time as all the Covid restrictions.

Apparently it was to stop children buying alcohol on their way to and from school - what's wrong with shopkeepers asking to see their ID cards?

And anyway, "Where there's a will there's a way" - if kids want alcohol, they will always find a way to get it, and a stupid 2 - 5 ban in supermarkets won't stop them!!!

29 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

you need to lose that chip off your shoulder. Thaksin didn't piss off tourists and anyone who told you he did is mistaken. The economy was booming under Thaksin. If not being able to get a drink in the afternoon is such a problem for you I suggest you seek help..........or a bar that does sell alcohol in the afternoons. It not that there is a shortage of them. 

You seem confused also whether you're a tourist or a resident. 

It was under Thaksin's watch that the 2-5 ban was re-activated. I also mentioned above it was at the same time that one of his ministers wanted to close pubs at 10 and nightclubs at midnight.

Not being able to buy a drink in the afternoon in a tropical country doesn't bother me, but it might bother tourists who find such a rule bewildering.

The fact that it hasn't been a problem though finding a drink in the afternoon merely underlines how it is unenforceable and how pointless the law is. Like many of the laws in Thailand, it is there only for show and no-one expects anyone to take any notice, including those who write and pass those laws. Except high-profile businesses like 7 Eleven and supermarkets.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, stix40 said:

Ridiculous law

It's like the the UK in the 70's ! 

And Hurry up with the lower cost of wine ! 

The lower cost of wine has been talked about and just as quickly forgotten about a few times now! There is no Government Minister in power that sees any benefit to his bank balance by doing it.

Compare that with Anutin  and the marijuana business!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Hakuna Matata said:

Srettha will do anything to please foreign "tourists" and long-stayers! He is known to have invested billions of Baht into luxury hotel business in Thailand.

That would make a refreshing change.

• Haha 1

The whole non sale alcohol law is outdated and has no use.. If you can drink between 11 and 2 you can still make accidents  and so selling and buying after 2 pm will not solve that. Besides tourists on the beach or sitting on a terrace on holiday like to drink a wine or a beer while watching people... But by this law it is forbidden  and so tourist are not pleased and will stay away, as in other countries there is not such a law.. Thailand has to grow up and make people responsible for their own deeds. Sell alcohol to people over 21 yrs old for example and by doubt ask for a id.. and a good working control of RTP instead of pocketfilling officers will do more good. And of course fines should be big for the sellers who sell to minors..But who cares about anything here? Minors in pubs, on motorcycles, using drugs, carrying weapons...and the Government and everybody don't care about it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

So, restaurant owners ask permission to serve alcohol between 2pm and 5pm.
Isn't that a bit ridiculous, after all, my lunch is always between 12:00 and 14:00, so it seems more logical to me to be allowed to serve alcohol from noon onwards, after all, a glass of Chablis with lunch is not to be sneezed at...

Is your carer out of the room atm?

Does anybody even know why there's a 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. alcohol ban? Is it supposed to prevent people from drinking while they're supposed to be working? Does it accomplish anything? It just seems about as ridiculous as pixelating cigarette smoking and sex in the movies and on TV. 

5 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Ever considered that one day in the not too distant future and with a few twists alcohol sales might eventually be banned in the UK and Europe under Sharia law?   

No, because that's totally ridiculous.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Does anybody even know why there's a 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. alcohol ban? Is it supposed to prevent people from drinking while they're supposed to be working? Does it accomplish anything? It just seems about as ridiculous as pixelating cigarette smoking and sex in the movies and on TV. 

It was supposed to stop teenagers from buying when they come out of school, I seem to remember it was not enforced till Taksin made it enforced'

"My short answer to your question in overview: High school teenagers are usually let out around 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM before their parents. Teenagers tend to resort to the alcohol beverage at their social gathering without the supervision of their parents. The purpose is to prevent teenagers from purchasing any liquors in an effort when their parents are still at work"

There is a thread on Quora about it

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Thailand-ban-the-sale-of-alcohol-between-2-and-5-p-m

5 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Ever considered that one day in the not too distant future and with a few twists alcohol sales might eventually be banned in the UK and Europe under Sharia law?   

Paranoid/racist nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, VBF said:

Perhaps I misunderstand this but I've frequently gone into bars of varying sorts in Pattaya in the afternoons and never been refused service of a beer or liquor drink. There's no attempt to hide the service - some of the bars are open air or right on the beach road.

Some of them also sell food so could be defined as restaurants.

I've equally frequently seen the fridges in 7/11 etc locked  closed in the afternoons. 

So is it just restaurants who are supposed not to sell alcohol between 2 and 5pm?

Not all these places can be openly flouting the law even in Pattaya...can they?

Also, the article says it's a 50-year old law, but I'm tolerably certain that I recall it being introduced in the eighties.

Confused....me..... YES! :ermm:

The law was changed after the coup. You could buy alcohol from super markets between the magic hours if it was more than a certain amount. The change caught me out. Very annoying...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BritScot said:
9 hours ago, VBF said:

Perhaps I misunderstand this but I've frequently gone into bars of varying sorts in Pattaya in the afternoons and never been refused service of a beer or liquor drink. There's no attempt to hide the service - some of the bars are open air or right on the beach road.

Some of them also sell food so could be defined as restaurants.

I've equally frequently seen the fridges in 7/11 etc locked  closed in the afternoons. 

So is it just restaurants who are supposed not to sell alcohol between 2 and 5pm?

Not all these places can be openly flouting the law even in Pattaya...can they?

Also, the article says it's a 50-year old law, but I'm tolerably certain that I recall it being introduced in the eighties.

Confused....me..... YES! :ermm:

Expand  

The law was changed after the coup. You could buy alcohol from super markets between the magic hours if it was more than a certain amount. The change caught me out. Very annoying...

Thanks (and to @Bangkok Barry )

Still doesn't explain the anomalies...

The situation as it is doesn't bother me especially as I can spend the time in a bar of my choice, just another example of "TIT" 🙄

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

If the current government was in any way 'progressive' this is the first law they would abandon.

Nope not even close.  There are many more important laws to change.

That being said I can understand 2 to 5 closing restricts late lunch and drunk drivers at rush hour.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Paranoid/racist nonsense. 

But it's not because Islam is NOT a race, just a very miserable religion with unfortunately members from all races

Edited by proton
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

That being said I can understand 2 to 5 closing restricts late lunch and drunk drivers at rush hour.

Restricts maybe but probably not, as those who want to drink to excess will always find a place to do so regardless of any laws in place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, josephbloggs said:

Ok then. ParaNoid anti-Islamic nonsense. Better?

No there is nothing paranoid about being anti islam, it's common sense. Where ever Islam spreads oppression, misery, trouble and conflict follow. Sharia does ban booze, Islam is anti life, anti freedom and anti fun.

7 minutes ago, proton said:

No there is nothing paranoid about being anti islam, it's common sense. Where ever Islam spreads oppression, misery, trouble and conflict follow. Sharia does ban booze, Islam is anti life, anti freedom and anti fun.

So it is not paranoid nonsense to say the UK and Europe could be under Sharia law soon? Really??

Edited by josephbloggs
typo
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Totally agree.

IMO it is an example of the culture here. It's one of many hangovers of Sakdina, whereby the Munnai control the Phrai. Those in power still think they have a duty to control the unruly 'peasants' so they come up with these sanctimonious 'pointless' rules as a show of power and to make themselves feel righteous. They consider themselves the adults who have a duty to control the children. The attitude was particularly noticeable in Prayut (he didn't have the self awareness to hide it) but essentially all the 'leaders' think this way.   

So it may appear pointless, but it does have the effect of being another nail to reinforce this hierarchical relationship between the 'good people' and the 'stupid' proles. 

I couldn't agree more. There are many rules, bans, and regulations that are simply put in place to show the power the ruling class has over the working class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

You seem to have a very narrow view of life.

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Many foreigners enjoy an afternoon drink with a late lunch.

Thailands 2pm-5pm sales ban is outdated.

A lot of things in Thailand are outdated thanks to the dinosaurs running the asylum.