Controversial Bikini Sunbathing by Foreign Tourists Sparks Cultural Debate in Bangkok and Chiang Mai; Authorities Respond

webfact

Land or two extremes, Stroll down any beach resort road and see scantily clad bar girls showing everything they've got, openly touting for customers, then get warned for sunbathing in a park?

No wonder foreigners mis-understand.

Thai culture is about as flexible as the girls

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Phra Phayom stated that it was a cultural difference and a lack of understanding of Thai cultural traditions.

• Love It 1

16 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

on amarin TV last night the reporter spoke to an offended woman who had not actually witnessed the incident, but who was more than willing to point to where she thought it happened :cheesy:

Curtain twitchers everywhere .... :bah:

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Recently, on January 15th, Thai national media interviewed Phra Phayom Kalayano, the abbot of Wat Suan Kaew, regarding the incident in Chiang Mai. Phra Phayom stated that it was a cultural difference and a lack of understanding of Thai cultural traditions.

And yet, I have seen Wat grounds utilized for rather lewd dancing/music concerts frequently. I suspect the fact that here we have foreigners involved was more the point!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There should be a law as to who should be allowed to wear g string bikinis at the beach as well. My god, the most grotesque looking females thinking skimpy bikinis are flattering is staggering. 

I don't suppose these ladies in picture had a hotel with pool for sunbathing, nah.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

There should be a law as to who should be allowed to wear g string bikinis at the beach as well. My god, the most grotesque looking females thinking skimpy bikinis are flattering is staggering. 

I don't suppose these ladies in picture had a hotel with pool for sunbathing, nah.

I couldn't agree more. There are some ladies for whom a one-piece suit would still not be flattering on the beach or poolside. I am fat, and there is no way I would wear a Speedo. LOL! 

• Haha 1

While adter living here for over 20 years one becomes accustomed top the CULTURAL requirements of living here. THais themselves are in my opinion one of the most HYP{OCRITICAL countries when it comes to Cultural norms.They say they are BUDDHISTS< never have I seen more abuse of Bubbhist Norms than here.

They trash any venue and the waste left is stupendous, their Family life is beset with abuse and even murder.

AND yet they get upset by two tourists sun-bathing in bikinis, walk down any street with bars, women there wear far less an openly. 

AS FAR AS I CAn see ANY opportunity to bash tourists while saying they must obey cultural norms smacks of over-zealous nationalistic fervour

Edited by Nicholas Paul KNIGHT
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And what on earth is the issue with two women in bikinis in a park? How is that considered controversial on any level? What is wrong with sunbathing, it's not like two people are found having sex out in the public.  Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill, talk about fabricating something for the sake of victimhood, talk about a nothing burger. This is so ridiculous it borders on puerile and insanity.

Yes Mike, here we go again, just standing back and watching/laughing another 10 pages of useless arguments, akin to people-watching in the soi?, but nothing will be achieved. Maybe its all about ads as someone suggested.

B.T.W. did you hear that soi dogs will soon be required to wear underware? :unsure:

Now wont that start another 10 page brawl?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Thailand really needs to come out of the dark ages. There are many things that are more important, like traffic control, not just checkpoints. The RTP needs to step it up, patrol the roads, and issue fines. I am a retired US Army veteran living here in Thailand and have the utmost respect for the RTP and Thai immigration officers.

2 minutes ago, shackleton said:

While I say it's not a big news item the female tourists should know better okay at the beach ect

But common sense when else where would not go amiss 🤔

A little common sense goes a long ways.

Is it a case of double standard? Absolutely. Is that an excuse for this? No, it isn't.

It's considered part of the royal palace complex and still is used for various royal events, which I think is the main issue. It was also, if I remember correctly, made off limits to the public as part of the King's rennovation of the area.  It was fenced off, although that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. It stirred a lot of controversy when it was closed to the public, if I remember correctly.

It used to be just an area of dead grass and concrete. Looks like they've spruced it up a bit, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is this "Hard Power"?

Thailand tourism authorities need to better communicate these unique aspects of their "Culture".

Why are some places so sacred that they require special dress codes? That is what is done at royally-sanctioned temples for example, with clearly communicated dress code diagrams, and wraps are available for rent.

But a public park? How is that different than a beach? How is a tourist going to know this ground is sacred?

Just publish dress code guidelines.

Do you want to base your economy on tourists? If so, step up proactively to deal with potential issues.

• Agree 1

Emancipation is evolving… gotta have to be sensible where you take off your cloth - don’t do near/or temple ground areas. I wonder if the rule applies to topless male too… blame it on probably the hottest winter in Thailand 😁

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Pig shagging is local culture, sitting in a field in a bikini top is not.

Hope that clarifies.

Foreigners wishing to attempt pig shagging are advised to visit immigration and submit form TM.69 and to obtain a rear-entry permit.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But dispatching three policemen to deal with it ???...     The over-reaction here to such issues is hilarious.

They've got nothing else to do, so they went and ogled a couple of girls.  I bet they've got the photos on their phone and they're being shared as I write.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Enoon said:

Not, as I first thought, that the segmentation pattern of the pigs anal sphincter gave clues to the winning lottery numbers.

Apparently an unknown individual was seen "sexually assaulting" a pig.

*Thaiger warning*:

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/oink-oink-unidentified-man-allegedly-rapes-pregnant-pig-in-buriram

Get this:

"The media reported that the incident caused fear among locals in the area, as the man’s identity remains a mystery. The search for the man continues, with locals fearing that he may sexually assault people in the community"

I think it's pretty obvious where his interests lie........it's their pigs they need to worry about!!

I think piggy pokers are spiral, no? Perhaps this poor fella has a bit of a fractal phallus and failed to gain satisfaction with partners of his own species?

There's a pig in a poke, and then there's a poke in a pig! TIT!

• Love It 1

18 hours ago, riclag said:

According to my number one source on Buda temple ethics!

This is forbidden territory and is subject to the rules of temple ! This picture

is From Bangkok according to my source in view of the royals per-view

Source ,a devoted Thai Buddhist. 

Post a "Keep Off the Grass" sign. Always works.

"On January 15th, 2024, the Phra Nakhon District Office stated to the public regarding viral images of two foreign tourists in a bikini sunbathing at Sanam Luang, Bangkok,...." 

Not surprised at the furore if they were both sharing the same bikini!!!

Edited by sambum
Spelling

When in Rome and all that but when you consider Miss Thailand World and Miss World are shown on Thai TV and millions see women in revealing Swimsuits V a dozen people or so seeing a couple of girls in bikinis in a park it really seems a bit crazy to outsiders

Edited by Tanlic
  • Like 1

I recall bikini clad Thai women (looking like Coyote dancers) dancing at a cultural event attended by HM The King's mother.

It stopped and many red faces and people scurrying for cover when the King's mother said she felt it' inappropriate' for the said event.

Realistically, a few signs around and about cultural awareness would stop this behaviour in its tracks, it's through ignorance not intent to offend.

Storm in a very small teacup.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, roo860 said:

Won't be a Muslim then!!! 😅😅😅😅😅

Went out with a Muslim girl years back 

She loved to wear stocking suspenders under her jibab 🫢

22 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

On January 15th, 2024, the Phra Nakhon District Office stated to the public regarding viral images of two foreign tourists in a bikini sunbathing at Sanam Luang, Bangkok, causing controversy on Thai social media.

The Phra Nakhon District Office publicly revealed that the case happened on December 29th, 2023, and Phra Nakhon municipal police were immediately dispatched to the scene after receiving a report. The two foreign tourists were warned and agreed to follow the instructions.

image.jpeg

The Phra Nakhon District Office promised to put information signs in the area to prevent future incidents.

Recently, on January 15th, Thai national media interviewed Phra Phayom Kalayano, the abbot of Wat Suan Kaew, regarding the incident in Chiang Mai. Phra Phayom stated that it was a cultural difference and a lack of understanding of Thai cultural traditions.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-01-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I suppose the sights you see on Soi 6, Beach Rd or Walking St Pattaya are also a "cultural difference".  Where those girls are sunbathing looks to me like a large grassy public area with a distant temple in the background. It's about time that the religious communities realised that there's nothing offensive about the human body. We were all born naked, even church leaders.

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not to mention the extremely obese old men in budgie smugglers.

7 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

image.jpeg

Is he offering them 400 baht? 

Those tessaban goons (park police) wearing masks outside look like complete idiots. 

It's amazing how petty and vindictive Thais can become when foreigners are involved.