Why Are the Chinese so very Proud of Their Culture?

Codswallop.

Ancestor worship? Family before all else?

The world is in motion but perhaps you hadn't noticed. Things change, people move on. Are things better? Some are, some not. Get used to it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Most countries are proud of their culture.

The greatness of a country depends on the lens which is used to view it. Back in the sixties, Australia was the greatest country on earth in terms of opportunity for the average citizen.

China has a very long history, not all of it has been savory.

IMO there is little difference between the aspects of Chinese culture the OP admires, and what I have encountered in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

The Chinese are the most conceited race on the planet. As for their cuisine, it shouldn't even be fed to dogs.

Hell no ... that goes to the 'chosen ones' :cheesy:

Strangely, not that familiar with their cuisine, although the very few things I've had I liked.   Wouldn't go out of my way to find & order, but OK.  I've been trying to sort their different sauce, but can't get my head around them yet.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, retarius said:

Best thing about the culture is respect for the elderly.

Another winner of a thread, from the man of many questions and no unsweres 

23 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

The Chinese are the most conceited race on the planet. As for their cuisine, it shouldn't even be fed to dogs.

The Indians give them a run for their money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Can't argue with these statements.  However, I find that the Chinese culture allocates very little respect to anyone outside the family.  That imbalance is one of the attributes that makes many of them unwelcome as tourists.

This may be the consequence of having to STAND IN LINE to obtain anything of value...during the Great Leap Forward, the Cultural Revolution, and the extreme competition for resources ongoing in Commie China.  BUT, the Commies have not been around very long, relatively speaking, in Chinese history.  They will be gone soon...and...The family will continue to survive.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Most countries are proud of their culture.

The greatness of a country depends on the lens which is used to view it. Back in the sixties, Australia was the greatest country on earth in terms of opportunity for the average citizen.

China has a very long history, not all of it has been savory.

IMO there is little difference between the aspects of Chinese culture the OP admires, and what I have encountered in Thailand.

The OP has too much time on hand.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

They invented the iron pot.

Without which, we’d still just be pulling overdone meat out of the fire. So respect.

And explosives. Without them, how would we have upped the ante regarding killing each other?:wink:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Chicken chow mein.:wink:

Chicken Chao Mien, I think you meant to say...because this is how we romanize the Chinese using PinYin....

Good to know if you are thinking of visiting Beijing, perhaps....

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Australia is STILL a great country, IMHO.

I would be HAPPY to live there, for sure.

The greatness of a country depends UPON the lens used to view it, for sure.

What lens do you use?

3 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

They have the right to their conceit.

This is what I am saying!

What is your favorite Chinese dish?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Which Chinese culture, the CCP one, who tried to destroy it in the 1960's, or the genuine one preserved in Taiwan? 

Neither.

We are talking about Chinese culture, and not Chinese governments.

We are not talking about governments; we are talking about China.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The first and foremost aspect of Chinese culture is its respect for family, the belief that family is more important than almost anything else.

In addition, the respect for ancestor, and even ancestor worship, is central to placing the family at the forefront of existence.

The demographics of China re rapidly changing, straining long-standing values about ageing, family and caregiving.

So much so that in July 2013, the National People’s Congress passed an unprecedented and controversial law: the Protection of the Rights and Interests of Elderly People (also known as the Filial Piety Law). The law mandates that adult children provide culturally expected support to their parents 60 years or older.1 Per the law, duties include frequent visits and sending greetings to attend to the spiritual needs of the elderly. The reporting mechanism relies on parents filing lawsuits against their children for neglect.

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

The demographics of China re rapidly changing, straining long-standing values about ageing, family and caregiving.

So much so that in July 2013, the National People’s Congress passed an unprecedented and controversial law: the Protection of the Rights and Interests of Elderly People (also known as the Filial Piety Law). The law mandates that adult children provide culturally expected support to their parents 60 years or older.1 Per the law, duties include frequent visits and sending greetings to attend to the spiritual needs of the elderly. The reporting mechanism relies on parents filing lawsuits against their children for neglect.

The CCP is warped.

Yes. Everybody knows this is true.

However, mark my words, The Family shall survive intact, in China.

The CCP has, so far, been unable to destroy the Family in China.

22 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The CCP is warped.

Yes. Everybody knows this is true.

However, mark my words, The Family shall survive intact, in China.

The CCP has, so far, been unable to destroy the Family in China.

In Italy and the whole continent of South America the "Family" is still the most important thing.

China had a "civilisation" before Europeans knew how to spell "civilisation".

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

a.  Why are the Chinese so very proud of their culture?

b.  Is China the greatest country that has ever existed on the face of this earth?

a: Ask them
b: NO!

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, swissie said:

In Italy and the whole continent of South America the "Family" is still the most important thing.

China had a "civilisation" before Europeans knew how to spell "civilisation".

The Family is China's strength which has been responsible for the endurance of Chinese culture.

I agree that my spelling is atroshuss, and, on most days, I am unable to spell civilisation, in a civil fashion....

Spelling is less important than Familly, however, is my humble two cents.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Hell no ... that goes to the 'chosen ones' :cheesy:

Strangely, not that familiar with their cuisine, although the very few things I've had I liked.   Wouldn't go out of my way to find & order, but OK.  I've been trying to sort their different sauce, but can't get my head around them yet.

Interesting that you slipped in that off topic ignorant canard on a topic about China.

Yeah, you should learn more about Chinese food. It's truly amazing. The key is that there isn't Chinese food. There are Chinese REGIONS and the food is very different accross the regions.

It's folly to say this or that cuisine is the best in the world as that can't really be measured objectively. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The Family is China's strength which has been responsible for the endurance of Chinese culture.

I agree that my spelling is atroshuss, and, on most days, I am unable to spell civilisation, in a civil fashion....

Spelling is less important than Familly, however, is my humble two cents.

Not to forget that "the teacher of the nation" (Konfuzius) claimed that a "mentally healthy family" is the basement of a healthy state.

Not easy to apply in "the West" as a good number of families qualify as "disfunctional".

Good to know that certain "families" have spread all over the world. The Italian Mafia and the Chinese Mafia. Long live the "Families"!

1 minute ago, swissie said:

Not to forget that "the teacher of the nation" (Konfuzius) claimed that a "mentally healthy family" is the basement of a healthy state.

Not easy to apply in "the West" as a good number of families qualify as "disfunctional".

Good to know that certain "families" have spread all over the world. The Italian Mafia and the Chinese Mafia. Long live the "Families"!

Again....You speak the TRUTH.

Thank you for backing me up here on this important Topic!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting that you slipped in that off topic ignorant canard on a topic about China.

Yeah, you should learn more about Chinese food. It's truly amazing. The key is that there isn't Chinese food. There are Chinese REGIONS and the food is very different accross the regions.

It's folly to say this or that cuisine is the best in the world as that can't really be measured objectively. 

Begin with the mastery of the Chinese language.

Even more important than sampling the Chinese cuisine, IMHO.