Why Are the Chinese so very Proud of Their Culture?

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's folly to say this or that cuisine is the best in the world as that can't really be measured objectively. 

Maybe you cannot.

But, maybe I CAN, and have/do.

I know what I like.

However, taste is not something that can be objectively measured.

Again, you are so right, JT!

It's kind of hard to fully separate looking at Chinese culture from current political realities but it is true that the Chinese have a lot to be proud of (and a lot to be ashamed about) in their history.

A famous American youtuber that I love xiaomanyc fully embraces his love of Chinese language and food (and now his wife and babies) while somehow managing to never mention anything political. I couldn't manage that.

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

It's kind of hard to fully separate looking at Chinese culture from current political realities but it is true that the Chinese have a lot to be proud of (and a lot to be ashamed about) in their history.

A famous youtuber that I love xiaomanyc fully embraces his love of Chinese language and food (and now his wife) while somehow managing to never mention anything political. I couldn't manage that.

I am just happy for you that you still find something to love in this world.

I love China, for sure, by which I mean Chinese culture, including the language, and the written language, which is just one part of Chinese culture.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Maybe you cannot.

But, maybe I CAN, and have/do.

I know what I like.

However, taste is not something that can be objectively measured.

Again, you are so right, JT!

Absolutely we can say what we love the most.

I love Chinese the most.

But those are subjective opinions.

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Begin with the mastery of the Chinese language.

Even more important than sampling the Chinese cuisine, IMHO.

Easy for you to say. I can't even manage Spanish!

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting that you slipped in that off topic ignorant canard on a topic about China.

Yeah, you should learn more about Chinese food. It's truly amazing. The key is that there isn't Chinese food. There are Chinese REGIONS and the food is very different accross the regions.

It's folly to say this or that cuisine is the best in the world as that can't really be measured objectively. 

The topic is Chinese, and I replied to a post about someone opinion of.   Also added, my thoughts on food, of lack of.   Yes, I know all large countries, have regional differences in food, since being from a large country.   Even very small countries like TH, and the regional difference run the spectrum.

My opinion, and common sense.  But thanks anyway.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Easy for you to say. I can't even manage Spanish!

So glad JT diden't emigrate to Ecuador, once high on his list. Relatively easy "visa requirements" at the time. Today: A political powder keg.

Above all: Thailand is a better place to sample Chinese Cuisine than Ecuador.

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Absolutely we can say what we love the most.

I love Chinese the most.

But those are subjective opinions.

Finally, JT...

You and I have found something (important) to agree upon.

Just do not, ever again, mention to me the unmentionable Dr. F.

Thank you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I had a very high opinion of the Chinese and their culture before I travelled to, and lived in mainland China. I still have respect for the traditional Chinese culture, say, in Hong Kong, or Taiwan. However, it is my impression that the Chinese on the mainland have changed, losing a lot of their culture, traditions, and moral codes, thanks to China's history since 1949.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What other people, men and women, spit all over the place, thinking it is the most normal thing in the world?

Aussies.

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What is your favorite Chinese dish?

This one. It's the liberal sprinkling of fag ash that really makes it delicious.....

image.png.10d78740ea6bf96b92df06bf9fc4a8b4.png

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What other people, men and women, spit all over the place, thinking it is the most normal thing in the world?

Americans should know better, or should have known better, or should STILL know better...right?

And, so should everybody!

image.png.63c997eaa7b0f7f9e8b4ea49f157e63c.png

Use your handkerchief...

BUT, please DO NOT use the gutter!

Edited by GammaGlobulin

I've lived in many different countries, and been exposed to the major faiths of the world in addition to numerous cultures. I have learned a number of languages along the way, both speaking and reading/writing.

I find Chinese culture rather ...meh. I've eaten most of its different cuisines, and would never choose any of them if I was given a choice for a last meal---or even one of my last 100 meals. It's architecture I find butt ugly. The only thing the so-called Great Wall means to me is "we've always had way too many people". It's a pile of rocks that is dwarfed by what the Romans built, or the Byzantines.

I continually used to hear about "5000 years ago we were wearing silks and your ancestors were wearing bear skins", which is silly as well as meaningless. Few Chinese were wearing silks 5000 years ago, as most were peasants. Anyway, what have they done lately?

Even though Japan borrowed much from China, I find Japan does everything better than China. From "National Treasures" to pride in even the most menial task, to the astonishing joinery used in its temples, to its much more subtle design style...just better.

India has been the fount of much modern philosophy, from religious to non-violence to the ethical treatment of animals. I also much prefer Indian food and spicing, and its architecture is infinitely more appealing than Chinese. The music is more interesting, too, especially its percussion. (For what it's worth, few women anywhere can hold a candle to a beautiful Indian woman.)

Arab culture---not Islamic, but Arab---gave the world enormous scientific and mathematical knowledge.

The Greeks produced great literary works, philosophy and architecture, even if that culture faded over time.

The Romans were a living dichotomy...gladiator games that were vicious, but incredible science and building....such as the Pont du Gard, part of an aqueduct that crosses the Gard River in France with a 900 yard span and a slope that differs by a couple of centimeters from one side to the other----since gravity alone could move the water on its long path to Nimes from the water source 35+ miles away. Italian style carries over to today, passing through Michelangelo and Da Vinci, to opera, and even today to Ferrari/Lamborghini/Pininfarina to Brioni/StefanoRicci/Armani to wine like Solaia or Biondi-Santi Brunello di Montalcino.

Heck, even the Mayans might have beaten the Chinese.

Of course it's all a matter of opinion, but I say "meh" to China.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

They have the right to their conceit.

This is what I am saying!

What is your favorite Chinese dish?

I can't pick just one but I really miss Chinese claypot cuisine which I haven't found in Thailand. Of those maybe the oyster, pork belly, garlic, and tofu stick one.

26 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I had a very high opinion of the Chinese and their culture before I travelled to, and lived in mainland China. I still have respect for the traditional Chinese culture, say, in Hong Kong, or Taiwan. However, it is my impression that the Chinese on the mainland have changed, losing a lot of their culture, traditions, and moral codes, thanks to China's history since 1949.

In fact...you are correct....

However, the original moral fiber still exists below the surface.

We just need to find some way of ridding the Chinese Culture of the parasitic CCP....

And then, the Chinese Culture will soon recover.

I know this is true.

17 minutes ago, Keeps said:

This one. It's the liberal sprinkling of fag ash that really makes it delicious.....

image.png.10d78740ea6bf96b92df06bf9fc4a8b4.png

Gimme a BREAK, Man!

Be serious.

This is a serious Topic.

This photo is in no way indicative of 99 percent of Chinese Culture in China, even today.

The sensationalist stories popular on social media are in no way accurately reflective of the reality of most Chinese families.

Mostly, it is the CCP barbarians who give China such a hard time.

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Australia is STILL a great country, IMHO.

I would be HAPPY to live there, for sure.

The greatness of a country depends UPON the lens used to view it, for sure.

What lens do you use?

I doubt you could afford to live there.

I still use the lens of opportunity, and a fair go. Neither exist in Australia anymore.

In 1970, I bought a house in Melbourne.

I paid off the mortgage within 18 months, which greatly displeased the bank manager I got the home loan from.

If one is on less than a six-figure income in Australia, owning a home is an impossible dream.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I still use the lens of opportunity, and a fair go. Neither exist in Australia anymore.

I paid off the mortgage within 18 months, which greatly displeased the bank manager I got the home loan from.

If one is on less than a six-figure income in Australia, owning a home is an impossible dream.

Not quite:

image.png.cb62e1e596f6cc098c277bc365ef4c83.png

image.png.ac6ef2357045f0c6992f45d55738c8fb.png

Looks good to me, anyway...

Just need a pick and shovel to add an extra room....

The sky is the limit!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2024 at 1:52 AM, Lacessit said:

Same in Europe. Space is getting scarce.

Plenty of land in Australia, but heard that "land developpers" developpe only comperatively little land to keep prizes artificially high. (A land mafia)? Is there anything to it?

3 minutes ago, swissie said:

Same in Europe. Space is getting scarce.

Plenty of land in Australia, but heard that "land developpers" developpe only comperatively little land to keep prizes artificially high. (A land mafia)? Is there anything to it?

It is part of the problem.

Another is while rural locations are cheaper to live in, banks, doctors and pharmacies are difficult to hold on to in small towns. Particularly medicos.

On 1/16/2024 at 4:49 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Is China the greatest country that has ever existed on the face of this earth?

Yes. China is the greatest country that has ever existed.

All streams flow to the sea

because it is lower than they are

Humility gives it its power

--Tao Te Ching

Ch'ien (modesty)

"It is the law of heaven to make fullness empty and to make full what is modest; when the sun is at its zenith, it must, according to the law of heaven, turn toward its setting, and at its nadir it rises toward a new dawn. In obedience to the same law, the moon when it is full begins to wane, and when empty of light it waxes again. This heavenly law works itself out in the fates of men also."

--I Ching

On 1/16/2024 at 9:06 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Neither.

We are talking about Chinese culture, and not Chinese governments.

We are not talking about governments; we are talking about China.

I think the CCP does not recognise the difference.

• Agree 1

On 1/16/2024 at 4:52 PM, Lacessit said:

There are few things in life that are as satisfying or is fulfilling as greatly disappointing a bank manager. 

• Agree 1