Best Thai airport to fly to for friendlier immigration

Hello all.

I have a large number of entries into Thailand over the past two years (since June 2022) using visas and exemptions each time, hence many passport stamps. Never had any issues with immigration however i am coming to the end of a 6 month Multiple entry visa, I have entered twice with it and plan to re-enter Thailand maybe 5 days before it runs out. My question is: Which airport is the best for entering with a questionable travel history in regards to immigration?

I know the worst are probably Bkk and Don Mueng (did face a couple questions there on my last entry) but have heard that Chiang Mai and Phuket tend to be a bit kinder to travellers, facing less questioning and less chance of being denied entry (this is my biggest worry with my past history).

At the moment I'm leaning towards Chiang Mai and will be flying there from Kuala Lumpur or Da Nang after spending 3 or so weeks out of Thailand on a visa run.

Any other suggestions for airports are welcome, many thanks ....

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, bigqueso26 said:

Thailand maybe 5 days before it runs out. My question is: Which airport is the best for entering with a questionable travel history in regards to immigration?

You have a valid visa (METV) ... You should be able to enter at any airport....

CM is a more relaxed airport however not necessary.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

I'm not sure which is better... 

But given forum history - Avoiding Don Muang and Phuket would be sensible if you suspect you have frequency of visa exempt / and tourist visa visits which may be considered excessive by a fussy Immigration officer. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bigqueso26 said:

I have a large number of entries into Thailand over the past two years (since June 2022) using visas and exemptions each time, hence many passport stamps. Never had any issues with immigration however i am coming to the end of a 6 month Multiple entry visa, I have entered twice with it and plan to re-enter Thailand maybe 5 days before it runs out.

If you've never had any issues with immigration yet and you have a valid 6 month multi-entry visa that you are entering 5 days before end of validity, why worry?

Myself, I did 275 days in 2022 on visa exempt and 225 days in 2023 with visa exempt and one single entry tourist visa. Not had an issue yet but know I must be getting close to more scrutiny.  I figure they'll warn me first

Edited by Pattaya57

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

If you've never had any issues with immigration yet and you have a valid 6 month multi-entry visa that you are entering 5 days before end of validity, why worry?

Myself, I did 275 days in 2022 on visa exempt and 225 days in 2023 with visa exempt and one single entry tourist visa. Not had an issue yet but know I must be getting close to more scrutiny.  I figure they'll warn me first

I guess paranoia reading the countless posts on here and reddit of accounts of people being denied entry, granted mostly without visas, but some with valid visas. I was also questioned a bit last time I came in about why I like to visit so much but there were no problems, he just looked it over and stamped anyway.

A valid visa still isn't a guarantee you'll get in as many point out. 

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Quite apart from choice of airport, choice of desk (male vs female) can be important.

My experience, including for annual renewal of stay, is that women officers are often difficult & prickly & looking for a problem. This is not necessarily because they're after a bribe. More to impress the male boss with their professional competence & toughness.

You are 100% correct. I've seen this mentioned many times by others and in my own experience have only had issues with female officers at embassies and visa extension offices. They can be super difficult. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, bigqueso26 said:

I guess paranoia reading the countless posts on here and reddit of accounts of people being denied entry, granted mostly without visas, but some with valid visas. I was also questioned a bit last time I came in about why I like to visit so much but there were no problems, he just looked it over and stamped anyway.

A valid visa still isn't a guarantee you'll get in as many point out. 

We'll that was my point, I've been coming and going without a visa. Only one single entry tourist visa in last 2 years for 495 days stay.

I also read all the paranoia on here which is the only reason I got my first tourist visa last time, but not sure I needed it as I did a same day visa exempt border run straight after without any issue

Edited by Pattaya57

On 1/16/2024 at 9:15 PM, DrJack54 said:

You have a valid visa (METV) ... You should be able to enter at any airport....

CM is a more relaxed airport however not necessary.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

He has obtained the relevant visa and that is the whole point of METV visas

• Thumbs Up 1

If you enter Chiang Mai avoid the female IO's... I live here and every time that I catch a female IO on re-entry there's a hassle... I just stand there patiently and wait for her hormones to calm down and eventually get stamped back in... there are allot of sad frustrated women in Chiang Mai... my Thai wife and I laugh about it all the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Quite apart from choice of airport, choice of desk (male vs female) can be important.

My experience, including for annual renewal of stay, is that women officers are often difficult & prickly & looking for a problem. This is not necessarily because they're after a bribe. More to impress the male boss with their professional competence & toughness.

As far as I am aware, at CW there are only female IOs handling extension of stay so not really much choice!

6 minutes ago, cormanr7 said:

As far as I am aware, at CW there are only female IOs handling extension of stay so not really much choice!

Mmmm, same here in Surin now. I suspect there for a purpose.

The sole male does my 90 days & all done in 5 minutes ...