Thailand starts checking foreigners' passports on domestic flights

webfact

29 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Judging from all the trouble makers, idiots and security issues now days of people using air planes to ravel, I'm not

surprise and welcome it and a must steps, we can only blame those disrupting scumbags who like to think buying a ticket

gives them the right to behave badly... 

in over 30 years of flying to and from here and internally, the only idiots I have encountered were on international flights , its fair to assume they were in possession of a passport .  I have no idea what you are implying

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Do your best to look and find a male IO at arrival..........

Male or female, no immigration official will be satisfied with a fotreigner's presentation of the pink card on arrival at an airport or land border checkpoint.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

...As for point one on the back as I have already pointed out it also says it's an ID card. It seems it's an ID card which isn't an ID card which can be used as an ID card...

Thank you for pointing this out; I have never noticed it. Risible.

10 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Male or female, no immigration official will be satisfied with a fotreigner's presentation of the pink card on arrival at an airport or land border checkpoint.

Of course. You are talking about immigration. Seperate to the discussion and absolutelely nobody on here would be presenting a DL or pink card at immigration. Do you think I present my pink card when doing my 90 days, leave or enter the country?

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

They even require one to board a train now.

What~???  all trains like the BTS and MRT   that's ridiculous     although I could sort of understand it if going out of the country

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Dept. Of transport didn't accept mine as proof af address. 

It seems that nothing is consistent.

Last year I went to the DLT to obtain an international driving permit. In prior years they wanted a copy of my red police book along with the blue tabien baan and of course my DL. This time they turned away my police book and specifically asked for my pink card. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

That's what I'm saying, 1St World bound, brown bags will cease.........it's a slow process here.....

The arrival of the 1st world will not stop the corruption "game" per se, it will only raise the stakes to a level that will make it impossible for all but the wealthiest to sit at the  table. It will still blight the lives of everybody but the "benefits" will be restricted to the elite.

Where as at present, nearly  everybody can play as long as they can afford the relatively modest minimum stakes, which I think is a much fairer system

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

It seems that nothing is consistent.

Last year I went to the DLT to obtain an international driving permit. In prior years they wanted a copy of my red police book along with the blue tabien baan and of course my DL. This time they turned away my police book and specifically asked for my pink card. 

Thats tough,  In the UK you would just go to the post office with your DL and £5.50       By the way  what's a red police book? have you been a naughty boy in the past?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I drive to Bangkok from Chonburi once a week. Never take my passport with me.

Mines normally in the car but sometimes it isn't ,    not something I worry about to be honest  I'll always have it if intending to fly though

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

How many Russians and Chinese are cheating the system no doubt 1,000s

Yup.

The Thais have just found out that thousands of Russians don't have the means to stay and don't want to go home.

• Agree 1

I wonder what % of foreigners flying domestically are overstayers?

that’s what I thought….target overstayers instead of everyone and you might have a higher batting average…

let’s inconvenience everyone to catch a few…kind of like setting up a checkpoint and check random drivers rather than targeting active drivers who are violating rules of the road 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Thats tough,  In the UK you would just go to the post office with your DL and £5.50       By the way  what's a red police book? have you been a naughty boy in the past?

Permanent residents are required to register with their local police station. When they do, they are issued a police book.  These police books have red covers.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

What~???  all trains like the BTS and MRT   that's ridiculous     although I could sort of understand it if going out of the country

Trains to the provinces not urban ones

2 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Permanent residents are required to register with their local police station. When they do, they are issued a police book.  These police books have red covers.

Ah ok i get it now  you were applying for an IDP using a Thai Licence,  It's concerning that such things are even possible,     Are they accepted everywhere ?  I shudder to think That a Thai could  turn up in a country like the UK for example and just start driving, or even worse jump on a motorbike with no further training.  

2 hours ago, Falcon said:

On a domestic flight, there is no customs.

I assume he meant security, not customs. They do check your ID and boarding pass at security.

The queues when checking in at Chiang Mai Airport are long and slow most mornings...  I'm sure having Airline staff sniffing through your Passport (as opposed to an Immigration Officer) will extend the delays even further.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I use mine all the time never had a problem flights hotels police station hospital, I  even pay the thai price at the dentist not foreigner price cost me 200 baht and it’s for life as I’m over 60 even used it when I went to the Toyota showroom to purchase my SUV

I just hear quite a lot of cases where it is not accepted, mostly relating to driving licence renewal. It fails once, and I have to go home for the PP. or bring both, I see it as unnecessary!

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, flexomike said:

Over the last ten days I stayed at three hotels, all asked for passport, I had it but told them I didn't, showed them my pink card and no problem.

So why did you take the passport? Why did you  need to lie about it?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

in over 30 years of flying to and from here and internally, the only idiots I have encountered were on international flights , its fair to assume they were in possession of a passport .  I have no idea what you are implying

I'm implying sir, that one never knows who's on the flight sitting next to you, and where do you get the assurances that idiots

only fly international routs ?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Ah ok i get it now  you were applying for an IDP using a Thai Licence,  It's concerning that such things are even possible,     Are they accepted everywhere ?  I shudder to think That a Thai could  turn up in a country like the UK for example and just start driving, or even worse jump on a motorbike with no further training.  

Many countries actually accept a Thai DL without an IDP since Thai DLs use English. I think most people don't bother to get an IDP unless they are going somewhere that requires one.  

Some car rental companies in the US insist on an IDP because there are several states that won't accept a foreign DL without an IDP even though the US is signatory to the 1949 Geneva Road Traffic Convention. Not being legal in one of those states could possibly void the rental car's insurance, so it is potentially a big issue. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So nothing has changed accept the scaremongering title of this article.

''or with a non-Thai ID card or a driver's license issued by the Thai government''

So I just keep using my mom Thai ID card! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

So why did you take the passport? Why did you  need to lie about it?

Thai driving license are non-tight ID card is sufficient to check into a hotel all the hotel has to do is know your name and your date of birth. To register guest online if they even do that. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I just hear quite a lot of cases where it is not accepted, mostly relating to driving licence renewal. It fails once, and I have to go home for the PP. or bring both, I see it as unnecessary!

Driving license renewal you need to show them your passport because your passport number is on your driving license that's why a Thai driving license is sufficient enough for using on an airplane or at a hotel because your passport number is on your driving license so if there's any problem they can pick up the phone and give them your passport number and they can find out everything about you from immigration. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1