800.000 Baht account after I die - can the partner access the account

A long time ago I read about this problem, but I lost the text due to a disk crash. Someone mentioned the name of the form to fill out at the bank. It was not power of attorney. The problem is the account has to be in a single name, but how can a partner get the money from the account? I remember there was a English and a Thai term for it...

Thanks for any hint in the right direction.

This is a subject of great interest to me.

I asked at the bank (ayudhya) last week and they said my wife would not be able to access the 800k baht.

A death certificate would not be enough and the matter would have to go to court.

Maybe the bank is talking rubbish so does anyone have an answer and know what form the OP has mentioned?

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as I know, they will be a lot of forms to fill out, first thing they will need will be the death certificate your passport,bank passbook, marriage certificate if you have one, that will make life a lot easier, and anything else .ie yellow registration book ID card, your wife /partner should be able to sort it all out.

When I asked at our locale bank, they said it will take 6 months, but that was some cashier at the bank, how reliably that information is I could not say.

Note: I have a will in the UK. they will need a death certificate as well, as far as I know only one is issued, no photocopies allowed, you can see the scenario who gets the death certificate.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

As far as I know, they will be a lot of forms to fill out, first thing they will need will be the death certificate your passport,bank passbook, marriage certificate if you have one, that will make life a lot easier, and anything else .ie yellow registration book ID card, your wife /partner should be able to sort it all out.

When I asked at our locale bank, they said it will take 6 months, but that was some cashier at the bank, how reliably that information is I could not say.

Banks are not able to grant authority for third parties to access the cash of deceased customers, courts appointing administrators/'probate' do that.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The bank was absolutely correct.  Probate is required.  On an account-holders death, that has to be reported to the bank which freezes the account.  Any withdrawals after the death are fraudulent/theft, even if the account holder gave access details to a third party before his death.

This also my understanding.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, proton said:

she can use the ATM card, just don't tell the bank. Also some banks allow joint signatories but its not a joint account. My mrs goes into Krungsri with the book and takes money out, how do they know i'm still alive? 

For many the 800,000 would be in a fixed deposit account, so ATM card won't work in that case

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Denim said:

Being 66 with a 60 year old wife I also approached our bank ( Bangkok Bank ) to ask whither opening a joint account would make it legal for my wife to access my remaining  funds if I died

BBL had two types of joint account - those that require both signatures and those that either party can withdraw - so that may be the issue as have not seen posting of this being an issue (but guess if you are dead and gone you would not be posting)?

Some have reported using an single name account with second name in passbook UV page for withdrawals (only the owner name on passbook front page so accepted by immigration).

As has been said probate required to release funds and can take 3-6 months from many reports.  Some banks/personal seem more paranoid than others so freeze may not be absolute.

But for the 800k extensions perhaps best solution would be to change to income method if financially able to do so.  Or in any case have enough money available to spouse for the probate period.

For those with next of kin outside Thailand that could claim funds suspect will(s) could be very important.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, proton said:

The bank does not know if you are alive or dead do they, mrs took money out of my account yesterday, I could have been dead for all they know

In the US, the first thing you do when a loved one dies is go clean out the safe deposit box before the bank knows of the death. 

It's not the bank's money, it's our money. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It's not the bank's money, it's our money. 

Good luck with that.  It is the bank's money until proven otherwise.  Remember that 9/10ths of the law being procession?   Banks take that to the extreme.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

A long time ago I read about this problem, but I lost the text due to a disk crash. Someone mentioned the name of the form to fill out at the bank. It was not power of attorney. The problem is the account has to be in a single name, but how can a partner get the money from the account? I remember there was a English and a Thai term for it...

Thanks for any hint in the right direction.

Pm sent to you.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why would the bank be notified of a death?

To close  the account after making any legal distributions

I'm presuming the 800k account is for immigration purposes which cannot be a joint account.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, proton said:

she can use the ATM card, just don't tell the bank. Also some banks allow joint signatories but its not a joint account. My mrs goes into Krungsri with the book and takes money out, how do they know i'm still alive? 

if the account is not in joint names obviously that would be illegal

• Agree 1