Working for a UK Firm in Thailand

I have a UK passport. My wife is Thai and lives there with our daughter. I work for a UK company and I am mostly working remotely.

I know I qualify for a Thai marriage (non 0 visa) but what are the rules on being able to work in Thailand and who I pay taxes to?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tally Ho said:

I have a UK passport. My wife is Thai and lives there with our daughter. I work for a UK company and I am mostly working remotely.

I know I qualify for a Thai marriage (non 0 visa) but what are the rules on being able to work in Thailand and who I pay taxes to?

If you want to live in peace here and are responsible for your wife and daughter then apply for a work permit and pay taxes. If not maybe one day a "nice" neighbour or "friend" might report you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Tally Ho said:

Are you employed directly by the UK company and paying taxes and NI in the UK?

Or are you a contractor/casual worker?

Another thing to consider is Thailand's tax rules regarding permanent establishment.

If your employer has revenue coming from Thailand, it may become taxable in Thailand if the company has an employee or representative based in Thailand.

Depends entirely how long you intend to stay in Thailand.

There is a practical answer known to be the actual case in majority of identical situations, and of course the official answer to this question.

My UK company has no ties with Thailand at all. I will work for them, pay UK taxes as normal, but I will live in Thailand (legally as I am married to a Thai). Can I do that? It will be a permanent move (living in Thailand for as long as I can - although happy to stay in the UK for a few months if I pay less tax).

There is a controversial note in your question. I have also worked online in Thailand but the money I was paid was from the company based abroad.
I just stayed in Thailand for purely personal reasons because the company I was working for was outside of Asia.
For tax purposes I was stealing money from my Country which was outside of Asia and the money I had to pay tax was paid to Nana......In  your case if you are going to work for company which is in Thailand then you have to pay taxes in Thailand but if you are going to work for company outside of Thailand then you are not obliged to pay taxes in Thailand.

Anyway hold your mouth shut and do not talk about it even in your wife I fear good friends and not enemies....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/20/2024 at 8:57 AM, Tally Ho said:

Will the UK company who employs you let you work in Thailand long term ? Most would not.

On 1/20/2024 at 2:57 AM, Tally Ho said:

I guess there definitely is a double tax agreement between UK and Thailand. This at least avoids that you will have to pay income tax in both countries.

If you live at least 183 days in Thailand, you definitely have to pay income tax here, but not on the UK anymore.

The problem is, IF you work in Thailand, you MUST have a work permit either under a Thai company or under a Thai branch of your British employer, even if you work less than 183 days. As the latter (a branch of your UK company ) doesn't exist in Thailand, it becomes illegal what you do, and therefore quite dangerous for you.

I think you should make sure to spend at least more than 183 days per calendar year outside Thailand to be more on the safe side.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:57 PM, Tally Ho said:

I looks like you are effectively going to be a digital nomad.

Lots of digital nomads in Thailand.

The Thai government admitted a while back that there is a grey area surrounding digital nomads.

Right now, no issues. Live in Thailand on a Non O. Do your work in the confines of your own home, don't tell anyone what you do.  No problems will arise. There have not been any reports of digital nomads getting into trouble other than those involved in illegal practices.

There is no way you'll get a visa or work permit and immigration are aware of that. As with many things, Thailand are miles behind with such issues.

No tax to pay in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 8:34 PM, DrJack54 said:

There are MANY folk living in Thailand with various under the radar income not earned working in Thailand.

What you describe is common.

The added bonus is that being married to a Thai is that you can live in Thailand on extensions from a non O based on marriage.

Don't listen to all the nonsense about changes to tax laws.

Being common doesn't make it legal. Don't ignore valid concerns.

On 1/21/2024 at 8:30 PM, Flying Saucage said:

think you should make sure to spend at least more than 183 days per calendar year outside Thailand to be more on the safe side.

That's over the top and paranoid. 

On 1/20/2024 at 3:07 AM, flyingtlger said:

Keep you mouth shut and carry on...or else:

What happens if you don't pay taxes in Thailand?

If you cannot pay taxes and fines, the Revenue Department has the right to seize your assets. They can even seize your assets immediately without waiting for the court judgment. This is an indirect penalty that is not stated in Thailand's Revenue Code.

Only if you can't pay the fine, which is usually only 10,000 baht. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 4:03 PM, Tally Ho said:

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I can just pay my normal taxes in the UK then rather than pay again in Thailand.

What I'm looking at, via the LTR route. But my company also has a subsidiary, which I have nothing to do with, in Bangkok.

But there is this Permanent Establishment thing. Companies that qualify for the the "Work from Thailand" LTR route tend to be global companies. There is the risk of Permanent Establishment if anything in your job  is "habitually" to do with generating sales in Thailand. That might be signing a contract, because you happen to be in Thailand. Not knowing anything about your employer, can you guarantee that they will never seek business in Thailand?

On 1/20/2024 at 2:57 AM, Tally Ho said:

Do you have a work permit? If not, you are working illegally. Either ask them to provide you a work permit or find another company who will provide you a work permit. You pay taxes here in Thailand.