Are there any retailers in Thailand anymore offering a decent range of Belgian beers, ales of any nationality and stouts?

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Leffe is available at Makro and other supermarkets

I mentioned in my post that I was aware of these beers and they are OK, Makro does not carry Leffe Ruby and Cuvee or any of their others, but yes I pick up a couple bottles of brown and blonde everytime I go to Makro or Tops up here in Roi Et. Villa used to have 4 types of Leffe and now only the blond and the brown. I think my point is I am looking for a way to get access to a wider array of ales and darker beers, such as was once available.

Problem with all those imports are expiry dates and handling. When you crack them open, disappointment is not uncommon.

As for sources, I don't know - used one of the websites above one with mixed results. A couple of the local upper scale restaurants seem to have a line of supply though, so there must be a dealer somewhere. Not cheap, though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

Problem with all those imports are expiry dates and handling. When you crack them open, disappointment is not uncommon.

As for sources, I don't know - used one of the websites above one with mixed results. A couple of the local upper scale restaurants seem to have a line of supply though, so there must be a dealer somewhere. Not cheap, though.

Yes, I agree that sometimes they are bit old by the time you get to them. When Wish Beer was good I got almost entirely still good tasting beers, but I don't think there was a fifty bottle order that I ever made that didn't have a few bad ones, as in not stored properly and a bit off.

Did you use the Oak Wine website I mentioned? They seem too good to be true and I hesitate, not to mention the nearest bank is 30 minutes away and thats the only payment they accept is a cash transfer. Still if I knew they were good I'd buy a few cases of stuff I haven't had in ten years because no one in Thailand will sell their beers despite for some people, those beers being the best in the world. I know, its a matter of taste, and you ask most Brits about Belgian beer and they respond something like "Yuck! Treacley crap!"

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

I mentioned in my post that I was aware of these beers and they are OK, Makro does not carry Leffe Ruby and Cuvee or any of their others, but yes I pick up a couple bottles of brown and blonde everytime I go to Makro or Tops up here in Roi Et. Villa used to have 4 types of Leffe and now only the blond and the brown. I think my point is I am looking for a way to get access to a wider array of ales and darker beers, such as was once available.

Maybe not enough people bought them to make stocking certain beers worthwhile?

• Thanks 1

Beertique in Pattaya has a massive selection of local microbrews and many imports as well. I believe some Belgian beers in the coolers last time I was there, but I'm not a big fan of them so can't tell you what they were.  There were a few stouts and porters both locally brewed and imported if you enjoy those sorts of dark beers.

Could be worth contacting them to see if they would send a stock list and/or ship to you in Isaan.

A video on Facebook of the cooler (don't need to log in, just close the prompt if it asks)
https://web.facebook.com/reel/1420496558811889

• Thumbs Up 1

I get Chiang Mai stout from Rim Ping, Iron Bridge branch. It’s a good taste, flavor etc though not as smooth as Guinness.

I liked the Guinness zero per cent in the UK and in USA, I got home delivery.

I stick to the Bars in CM that serves Guinness, there’s about 5 that I know of.

but will check out some of the links. I was a regular at No 1 Bar, but not been there in years!

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but there's a restaurant near my place that always used to have literally hundreds of imported beers - Belgian and otherwise. I haven't been recently so can't comment on their current offer but I note the mention 'Craft Beers' on their Facebook page.  I note you're in Isaan and mention visiting Bangkok so you will almost go past the place on that route. Well worth a visit.

E.A.T. Khao Yai - small restaurant but excellent food.

Its on the 2090 - Thanarat Road and although it says Khao Yai, its actually closer to Pak Chong and literally 5 minutes from Highway 2 (Mitraphap) - about 500m after Makro.

• Thumbs Up 2

I gave up on them here. When I do see them they are so pricey that it's not something I would buy unless it was a special occasion. If I had to have one then Villa Market or those pubs like Robin Hood on Sukhumvit or the Londoner in Bangkok that had Guiness and others that looked good.

Edited by JimTripper

On 1/23/2024 at 10:18 AM, ChipButty said:

Have a look at this web site https://belbev.asia/bottled-products/ 

I filled out their form about a year ago, but they never answered.

They are probably only interested in doing business with bars and stores

which is what I'd like to know, where are these shops and stores

because i will buy beer from them, these beers on this site

are nowhere to be found anymore.

• Like 1