In the countryside but close to western conveniences

It seems For the bulk of foreigners who build in Thailand its due to them building where they have gotten land from their wife/wives family. 

So its not really a decision you made of where you want to build in Thailand its more a case of your building there because you have the land.

It will save you to not have to buy the land and you can put more money into the actual house itself. It makes sense, in a way. 

For me Ive not travelled extensively throughout Thailands lesser known places.

I've been to all the major places that most people know of but Im still unsure where I would like to call home.
What locations would you consider being in the countryside but also being close to having all western/big city conveniences?
For example I would consider Koh Chang being in the countryside but it lacks any decent medical facilities. 

I don't have much exposure to the tier 2 cities but for me the likes of Buriram is fine for a short visit but living there has alot of drawbacks.

Big lack of restaurants/cafes for a westerner. Not much entertainment options. Not many younger middle aged expats 30-45 yrs, it seems to be mostly of age retirees with a few school teachers thrown in. A days drive or a flight away from all of the above.

Any recommendations? 

I guess what conveniences one needs, or feels indispensable. Also what compromises are acceptable.

Which level of shopping, dining, entertainment, and medical services are sought? Sort this out and it will help narrow down your options.

We didn't get any land from the family, but we did build are house in the same province Mrs. Morch comes from (although not in her hometown or too close to parents' place). One reason for this was connections - found it easier to get information about deals, plots, pitfalls etc. Another reason, which I did not fully appreciate at the time was that it makes you less of an outsider (well, her, and by extension myself). The minute people realize she's from around here, things are mellower, straightforward, less funny business. 

• Like 2

Nongbua Lamphu.

Then, when one gets a wild hair up one's ass, a forty-minute drive 'over the mountain' and dip your wick in Udon Thani.

There's a tidy little farang ghetto half-way between the above called Nong Wua So that may float one's boat.

It's really, really nice up here. Another 40 minutes north of Udon and you're in Laos.

For me, the best place is the Eastern Economic Corridor. Easy access to Bangkok; lots of beaches; lots of foods from different places; malls; hospitals; and, of course, bars disguised as brothels and some world-class cannabis lounges not available in the US either (maybe one in Hollywood)

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Startmeup said:

Any recommendations? 

Avoid anywhere in Issan or any rural areas unless you're bonkers or an alcoholic.

10-20km from any of the big tourist towns is the best place.

HER land is worthless, anything you build on it will have ZERO resale value.

Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai are all good places to live near.

Islands cost 50% more in day to day living costs.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Startmeup said:

It seems For the bulk of foreigners who build in Thailand its due to them building where they have gotten land from their wife/wives family. 

So its not really a decision you made of where you want to build in Thailand its more a case of your building there because you have the land.

It will save you to not have to buy the land and you can put more money into the actual house itself. It makes sense, in a way. 

It makes no sense whatsoever if you ask me to build a house in the middle of some God forsaken field instead of paying for land in an actual nice area.

Anyways, there's lots rural areas around Chiang Mai that are close enough to drive in a regular basis. Land in Chiang Dao and rural Lamphun for example is cheap yet close to the city. Land in Chiang Mai is a rip off so don't bother.

First you need to consider that with country living , comes country living LOL

Many of those very nice people live a subsistence existence with Chickens , roosters, barking dogs, and buffaloes . The good news is that after a while you tune them out and you don't even hear it. But it takes while.

For country living near all that a large metropolitan area has to offer,  

Khon Kaen. Just outside the ring road. 

The city is arranged in a somewhat circular configuration , with roads almost like spokes on a wheel leading into the city , consequently , even though you are in a country setting . 

From our house. 3 minutes to the ring road, then to a road that connects to where you want to go.

From our house we are 15 min to the airport, or Central plaza in the heart of the city. 

• Like 1

Lol...another one building on her land.

A place to call home he says.

While renewing a yearly stamps and 90 day reports. Maybe even a tax return.

All from the boonies.

The only good place to live in Thailand is close to international airport.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, you can live just outside of the usual popular expat locations, Pattaya, Phuket, Hua hin, and still be in the countryside.

Pattaya for example, you can be 5ks from the city center and be on a lake, in the middle of a rice paddy and still get a pizza delivered..

Agree.  Lots of good options on the Darkside of Pattaya, including a variety of housing choices, at all price points.

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

It makes no sense whatsoever if you ask me to build a house in the middle of some God forsaken field instead of paying for land in an actual nice area.

Anyways, there's lots rural areas around Chiang Mai that are close enough to drive in a regular basis. Land in Chiang Dao and rural Lamphun for example is cheap yet close to the city. Land in Chiang Mai is a rip off so don't bother.

I’ve not been to Chiang Mai for over 10 years. I really liked it when I was there. Rented a bike and drove the Mae Hong Son loop with a friend.

Unless all the things I read and see on YouTube in regards to the pollution are fake it’s not somewhere I could live. Breathing that toxic any in for what, 4 months every year, doesnt sound in any way enticing to me. I think its not just Chiang Mai it seems to be the whole north of the country that’s affected by this?  

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

You guys starting out here in Thailand need to read this thread. Unless you want to be a farmer or rancher you don't need more than a rai or 2, if that. As stated above, you don't have to travel far from Pattaya to be far from everything. Guess the reason the Pattaya area comes up so much is because it ticks a lot of boxes for living. 

I'll bet for every happy camper who built a home in isaan there's a few unhappy guys. I'd say the main reason is to avoid her family. 

It does seem to tick a lot of boxes. It’s not an area I’ve spent much time. I think it’s probably one of the cheapest places in the country to live if your budget constrained. Even if you’re not budget constrained it just means your $ goes further. 

I’ll have to look into the EEC areas suggested by another posted that sounds interesting 

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Agree.  Lots of good options on the Darkside of Pattaya, including a variety of housing choices, at all price points.

Whats the dark side of Pattaya? 

One thing that turns me off Pattaya is that it attracts the dregs of society. Both locals and foreigners. No doubt there are lots of good people too

You get that here in Phuket too but to a lesser extent especially if you’re not spending too much time in Patong. 

Edited by Startmeup

8 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

It does seem to tick a lot of boxes. It’s not an area I’ve spent much time. I think it’s probably one of the cheapest places in the country to live if your budget constrained. Even if you’re not budget constrained it just means your $ goes further. 

I’ll have to look into the EEC areas suggested by another posted that sounds interesting 

Land is expensive, hard to find 1 rai for less than 3 mil. Next to beach 1 rai maybe 20 mil. There are good places to live for virtually any budget.

55 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Whats the dark side of Pattaya? 

One thing that turns me off Pattaya is that it attracts the dregs of society. Both locals and foreigners. No doubt there are lots of good people too

You get that here in Phuket too but to a lesser extent especially if you’re not spending too much time in Patong. 

The Darkside is the area east of Sukhumvit.  It's a large area offering many different housing projects, as well as more rural areas.  Lots of choice for about whatever you are looking for in an area outside of town.

You are right that there are 'lots of good people too'.  My spouse and I have been fortunate to meet and become friends with some of them.   Pattaya is a big city with a very diverse population, including lots of expats of all economic strata.   There are a number of distinct neighborhoods to choose from, each with its own vibe.  My partner and I like the Darkside, although we also enjoyed living in Jomtien, Wong Amat, North Pattaya, and several other parts of town.   We like being able to afford to live in a nice pool villa in this part of town and getting to the malls, hospitals, big box retail, etc., is an easy drive on the Motorway from the Lake Mabprachan part of the Darkside.

Pattaya has been changing quite a bit in the last half dozen or so years.  A number of very nice new hotels have been built, along with Terminal 21, and several water parks and other attractions oriented towards families.  This development is continuing, with an Icon Siam on the horizon and a number of other new projects getting started.  It now attracts a lot of weekenders from Bangkok. 

We have no interaction with the bar scene, which is just a small part of greater Pattaya.  It's there for those who want it, but also very easy to avoid if you don't.   It's no problem to live our ordinary lives, doing our everyday things, and not be in those specific parts of town.  We like being in a beach town and we hire a boat and do snorkeling every now and then from Sattahip.  We like the now easy drive to Bangkok and the international airport being about 1.5 hours away.  Worth a look, I think.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1