What are you cooking today?

It’s Saturday, so it’s scrambled eggs.

All other mornings mostly oats/bananas etc.

You would be surprised by how many do not know how to cook scrambled eggs.

Top kitchens in London would get potential chefs to prep some.

Gordon R in particular…

My wife’s version are akin to rubber….

53 minutes ago, sirineou said:

At the Makro in Khon Kaen they had two kind the one mentioned in this thread and butter dough pastry ,

They were inexpensive enough so I got one of each, 

They both contained 12 pieces each. 

I have already used all of the butter dough  pastry  :laugh:

It was very good, with the last four pieces, as suggested by someone in this thread (Might had been you)  I made chicken  quesadillas, They were very good!! 

That's why I quit buying them. 

A little butter, cinnamon, sugar, five-ten minutes in the oven and it's snack time.  

Roll up a couple sausages, ten minutes in the oven and it's lunch time. 

• Haha 1

Breakfast cheese pies, because I am not fat enough:laugh:

afterbaking.jpg.2a6085614a4a8229fa1a5956f0dd14ea.jpg

after baking, I also used some of the puffy pastry dough that i got from Makro and made haldfillo, and half ruffy, both came out well. 

fetamix.jpg.c7380ffbc80e76bcfbb7ef60c99f3c5c.jpg

The fill : two to three eggs scrambled , feta cheese stumbled, no salt the feta is salty enough, pepper , two tablespoon olive oil. a nit of cilantro (optional.)  scallions work better but I did not have any . 

fillodough.jpg.a1fe1bd9097659ed5bfb3de12b101128.jpg

Hot it a Shopee

doughcut.jpg.df482c010df1f51122ac7c732b922f8e.jpg

Cut 1/3 rd while in the plastic , vacuum sealed the rest and freeze it again for later use. 

oilanddough.jpg.9db3bbc72afbeb7e53d71386d2a59783.jpg

Unroll it

spray oil on one sheet lay it on the side, lay another sheet on it and spray it also, repeat three times until you have three layers ,

offset.jpg.f97b9f07c668a0666b0f69eb88c48c89.jpg

it makes the sheet a bit wider if you offset the layers, dot worry if it seems thin. when you roll it there will be many layers 

doughfill.jpg.db1ad7e91bceedda5be0d36b10796edc.jpg

a heaping tablespoon of fill

doughroll.jpg.8ac609ea5cd6487c8134a460ff08ea8f.jpg

fold it as if you were folding a flag , corner to corner,

beforbaking.jpg.46bd58d11f9f374594d4412c4c26cf42.jpg

before you cook, spray a bit of oil on top. If you like on the ones I made with puffy pastry dough brush a bit of egg wash for color. 

And bake at 350f  until golden brown. 

• Love It 1

Making falafel, though the flavor is a bit off, from the only ones I ever had.  Texture & crust is OK, need to tweak the spices.   Maybe less parsley, (miscalculated dried vs fresh) more garlic & some sage, though think the sage isn't traditional.

Think deep frying instead of air fryer will give them a better crust.

image.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Think deep frying instead of air fryer will give them a better crust.

They look good. 

and i use my airfryier all the time, but I agree, deep frying is always better. :smile:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marin said:

Made this up this morning. Letting it cool now and later will slice it up into portions to eat and freeze.

lasagna.jpg

Looks good , but what is it. 

Looks like some sort of ground meat and cheese  or perhaps chilly? 

Perhaps we can have a competition. Whoever guesses right . gets a piece :tongue:

Did I win? 

If I lived alone it would be plain vegetables and plain rice or noodles every day.  Work out everyday all day no fail like I did in the past.  But I have a Thai girlfriend so it's deep fried pork, fried chicken, fried rice, fried everything covered in salt.

I have found it almost impossible to maintain a diet when the other half is so against it.  Just trying to explain to a human that you have to cook carrots and raw cabbage is not the same as lettuce.  I don't have time for that.

Edited by Chris Daley

Yesterday I made some wholemeal bread in the air fryer.

Today it was raisin bread in the air fryer.

last week I made some pasties with pork, onion, carrot, some garlic, a Thai vegetable similar in size and shape to a carrot (I cannot remember the name of it), but it is white.

I made the pastry at home as well.

The problem I have with my air fryer is that it doesn't cook the bottom of what I am cooking, so after the top is done, I turn it over to cook the bottom.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

On 1/23/2024 at 3:33 PM, swerve said:

I made hummus today.  It's cheap and easy to make if you have a food processor.  Good for dips and sandwiches. I rehydrate dried beans rather than use canned chickpeas.

Yeah, hummus is great to have for a quick meal

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, marin said:

Lasagna

A man of a few words, I like that!

Well no piece, for me then, I would have never guessed lasagna. 

But now that you mentioned it, sure I I can see it.Difficult to see in the pan. 

One of my favorites when I lived in the US. 

In the US when I made it I used ricotta cheese in a middle layer . But I have not seen it for sale here in LOS , Where did you find it, or did you do without it? 

Planning for dinner a "leftovers" egg frittata kind of thing.

Three eggs.

Add to eggs:

Chickpeas

Black olives

Sliced Thai hot peppers

Chopped up leftover spicy Chinese fried chicken chunks

Cheese

Chopped asparagus

Smoked Hungarian paprika

Garlic sauteed in olive oil.

Then cook on both sides.

Salt and pepper

Served with side of avocado and slice of bread

If fewer ingredients would do it omelette style with added stuff put in later, not mixed with egg.

• Like 1

I am cooking Chinese Mabo Tofu using minced pork and tofu, and adding a little sweet and sour sauce to it at the end of cooking; to be served with mixed grain rice and the remaining half bottle of Californian red I have in the fridge. Lovely jubbly!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

The problem I have with my air fryer is that it doesn't cook the bottom of what I am cooking, so after the top is done, I turn it over to cook the bottom.

That all air fryers, and the only disadvantage of not have dual heating elements.  Other disadvantage is size, as we just had 2 going.  Wife was using the larger 12L one, 2 layers of chicken, and I tested a chicken breast in the newer 4.5L one that stays on the counter.  

4 mins one side, flip, 7 mins on skin side @180C .. damn tasty.  Noticed wife was cooking @ 220C in the other.  Top rack finished about the same as mine, bottom rack needed about 5 more minute.  No flipping in that air fryer.   Racks allow the air to actually circulate.

Yea, we could have cooked them all in the 56L convection oven, but she already had it started.

Thought I'd test a breast in the newer one, as have only done thighs before.  

Edited by KhunLA

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

A man of a few words, I like that!

Well no piece, for me then, I would have never guessed lasagna. 

But now that you mentioned it, sure I I can see it.Difficult to see in the pan. 

One of my favorites when I lived in the US. 

In the US when I made it I used ricotta cheese in a middle layer . But I have not seen it for sale here in LOS , Where did you find it, or did you do without it? 

Ricotta at Villa, but they're proud of it. 

I use cottage cheese instead. 

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Planning for dinner a "leftovers" egg frittata kind of thing.

Three eggs.

Add to eggs:

Chickpeas

Black olives

Sliced Thai hot peppers

Chopped up leftover spicy Chinese fried chicken chunks

Cheese

Chopped asparagus

Smoked Hungarian paprika

Garlic sauteed in olive oil.

Then cook on both sides.

Salt and pepper

Served with side of avocado and slice of bread

If fewer ingredients would do it omelette style with added stuff put in later, not mixed with egg.

yuk

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

If I lived alone it would be plain vegetables and plain rice or noodles every day.  Work out everyday all day no fail like I did in the past.  But I have a Thai girlfriend so it's deep fried pork, fried chicken, fried rice, fried everything covered in salt.

I have found it almost impossible to maintain a diet when the other half is so against it.  Just trying to explain to a human that you have to cook carrots and raw cabbage is not the same as lettuce.  I don't have time for that.

More fool you.

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Yesterday I made some wholemeal bread in the air fryer.

Today it was raisin bread in the air fryer.

last week I made some pasties with pork, onion, carrot, some garlic, a Thai vegetable similar in size and shape to a carrot (I cannot remember the name of it), but it is white.

I made the pastry at home as well.

Air fryers are great.

I love a roast chicken in the air fryer. I turn it upside down with 20 minutes to go to get the underside crispy too.

I now also use my air fryer to make my home cured hams.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Air fryers are great.

I love a roast chicken in the air fryer. I turn it upside down with 20 minutes to go to get the underside crispy too.

I now also use my air fryer to make my home cured hams.

I used to make ham with a hind leg of a pig. The problem I have is that I am the only one that eats ham, and 5 or 6kg is a bit too much for one person.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I used to make ham with a hind leg of a pig. The problem I have is that I am the only one that eats ham, and 5 or 6kg is a bit too much for one person.

If it's good ham and the price is fair, there will be more than a few posters who will help you with that problem, you can put me down for a kilo.

55 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

If it's good ham and the price is fair, there will be more than a few posters who will help you with that problem, you can put me down for a kilo.

Just came back from the state where I went for the holidays with family. 

One of the first thing I did was to go to the deli section of Publix and get boar's

head Virginia ham. 

Of all of my years here in LOS I have yet to find decent cold cuts. Perhaps you guys in the civilised parts of Thailand do, out here in Issan ...... least said is best. 

• Like 2