What are you cooking today?

22 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Do you need to put anything on the underside of the dough or on the griddle to stop the dough sticking? Or does it come away naturally once the dough is sufficiently cooked?

I season my cast iron pan  

First lightly oil the pan with canola oil. any oil would work but canola is best. 

place in oven for 30 minutes at 450-500 f  

take out let cool a little, oil again and repeat. 

Nothing will stick to it. 

PS: place the pan in the oven upside down, you don't want any oil pooling in an area and create an uneven coating. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Do you need to put anything on the underside of the dough or on the griddle to stop the dough sticking? Or does it come away naturally once the dough is sufficiently cooked?

No, although is does have a nice coating of Olive oil, from fermenting in frig, but no different than making flat bread.  After a minute of so, I can even slide it around.   Just need to peek under, make sure it's crisping up evenly.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

And that improves the cooking of a dough - each to their own :cheesy:

Absolutely. What do you think the it is that virtually all pizzerias use? :cheesy:

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I rub a little corn meal on the bottom.

@sirineou If going the corn meal route, may have a problem finding locally, (location dependent) but they may have polenta here (same thing), and I used to use that, instead of corn meal, when making Scrapple here.

47 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I rub a little corn meal on the bottom.

Is that to stop your underpants from sticking on a humid day? 

I just use talcum powder if required...   but corn meal may be more economical! 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Is that to stop your underpants from sticking on a humid day? 

That would be corn starch, not meal. 

28 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I just use talcum powder if required...   but corn meal may be more economical! 

I just shower and change my underwear regularly, why not try that? 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

@sirineou If going the corn meal route, may have a problem finding locally, (location dependent) but they may have polenta here (same thing), and I used to use that, instead of corn meal, when making Scrapple here.

Lazada

Yellow Corn Meal ราคาถูก ซื้อออนไลน์ที่ - มี.ค. 2024 | Lazada.co.th

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that we cleared out the oatmeal controversy 

\and finally my wife stopped laughing at my for putting cornmeal on my bottom. 

Though I wondering how corn starch would be any better.

Wife showed me a much better way to use corn starch.

chicken covered in a flour and cornstarch butter and fried crispy

stir-fried with onions chili peppers , garlic, and basil. with her secret mix of tangy , spicy. sweet sauce.

the only thing that could had made it better would had been cashews , But beggars can't be choosers. 

Aroy mak mak. 

crispychicken.jpg.4b06a6c6c2e1048827f7c49f3434010c.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Chicken soup in a lemon and egg sauce. 

Decided to give making chicken soup another try.  This time I used the pressure-cooked to see how it would work.

Sauteed chopped onion and garlick , Tossed in  a few chicken thighs  and legs parts to brown a bit. 

Water, salt , pepper,  and for good luck a couple of cubes of chicken stock. 

Pressure cooked for 25 minutes. Placed pressure cooker under running water to release the pressure, 

and opened.

Removed the bones of the chicken parts , returned the meet in the pot,and added half a cup of rice,   chopped celery, and diced carrots, slow boiled until rice was done. (nott too much rice depending on how much you are making , otherwise you will end up with a very thick stew. 

Here comes the important part. It is critical that the instructions are followed closely.

Three eggs beatten well , I used my milk frothing mixer, 

two lemons squeezed and added to the eggs. then beatten together more  .

Ok so this is the criticall part. In the bowl where you have the egg and lemon mixture , slowly add with a large serving spoon, add liquid from the simmering soup while whipping . This is done to bring the egg and lemon mixture , slowly up to the soup temperature  without cooking the eggs and having agg-drop soup. If you bring the temperature of the egg mix up too quick, it will curdle. 

It sounds more difficult than it is, Just slowly ad soup fluid until the mix is hot to the touch, but keep mixing to keep the temperature even in the whole mix. 

Then pure the mix in the simmering soup without mixing  much. let simmer for 5-10 minutes and it is done. 

Trust me , if you like lemony taste, you would love this dish.

chickensoup2.jpg.2615264fc3e9a43859058c9ff171879c.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Home made birthday cake for one of the kids.

20240317_143140.jpg

That really looks Professional!! One thing I have never made is a layer cake.Wife's B'day is in may. I like to make her one, 

Any suggestions for a good vid on YouTube . I like to make a layer cake , so I need ti learn how to make the layers and the frosting. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

That really looks Professional!! One thing I have never made is a layer cake.Wife's B'day is in may. I like to make her one, 

Any suggestions for a good vid on YouTube . I like to make a layer cake , so I need ti learn how to make the layers and the frosting. 

Thanks. I will ask the wife, she is the magic baker.

It was well received by birthday girl.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

Last night...

20240318_191555.thumb.jpg.6a666d5601e48c8fe1b8a9040cc8a69e.jpg

Looks pretty darn good, lots of gravy for it to soak up I hope 😛 

Did you use fresh or frozen toads? :whistling:

Just now, Crossy said:

Looks pretty darn good, lots of gravy for it to soak up I hope 😛 

Did you use fresh or frozen toads? :whistling:

Onion gravy... and I just did the batter myself..

• Like 2

A quick chimchi noodle soup w/eggs.  Packaged chimchi from 7-11, the wife didn't finish while O&A, along with last 2 eggs in frig, and rice noodle.  Quick & easy ...

image.png.b31f8fc4a7e0127f02c3fd30a4bcc7ef.png

Wife makes good chimchi, but after a couple weeks of being ready, (she makes way too much), it's too sour for me, and she's stuck eating the rest, and usually in a soup, as a bit much for her also, I think.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

A quick chimchi noodle soup w/eggs.  Packaged chimchi from 7-11, the wife didn't finish while O&A, along with last 2 eggs in frig, and rice noodle.  Quick & easy ...

image.png.b31f8fc4a7e0127f02c3fd30a4bcc7ef.png

Wife makes good chimchi, but after a couple weeks of being ready, (she makes way too much), it's too sour for me, and she's stuck eating the rest, and usually in a soup, as a bit much for her also, I think.

I love Kim Chi Jjigae stew, but it does not love me,. Still I make it every once in a while, 

Funny story.

I was at Macro and decided to get some Kim Chi to make my stew.

They sell chopped up double bags of it by where the milk and things are. 

Anyway when I got home it looked a bit strange , I read the bag and it said Kim Chi papaya . So what the hell!! I made it and it was not bad, but not as good a cabbage kim Chi. And now I had a leftover bah of Kin Chi Papaya  

So next time I was at Makro I decided to to get some real kim chi and got a double bag of it. 

A few days later I  was in the mood for Kim Chi stew , went to the refrigerator took out a bag.

It was Kim Chi Papaya,  so I thought ok put it back and get the double unopened bag  of the real Kim Chi I got a few days ago, didn't even think to look at it I open one bag and it still looks strange. I read the bag and it is Kim Chi papaya. 

Now I am really confused. Look back in the refrigerator , yep papaya, look at the new bags, Yeap Papaya also !!

Not sure how , but I somehow bought two more bags of Kim Chi papaya , so now I am the proud owner of three bags of Kim Chi papayas. 

Any one interested I am willing to part with them at a very reasonable price :cheesy:

kimChiPopaya.jpg.10bad8296015154d5d1aaa53079d1fd7.jpg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Salmon taco/wrap thingy ... 

image.png.593cb48dc7851d98a4911abd9f36a5fa.png

That , looks really good. 

I just got some flour tortillas from Macro this morning . and got some frozen salmon steaks . I think that sounds like a great idea for one day next week. 

Is that Paprika I see on the Salmon?

Edited by sirineou

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

That , looks really good. 

I just got some flour tortillas from Macro this morning . and got some frozen salmon steaks . I think that sounds like a great idea for one day next week. 

Is that Paprika I see on the Salmon?

Cayenne pepper & bay seasoning,, S&P of course...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, still kicking said:

Curry

Overhead photo of Chicken Curry in a black skillet, fresh off the stove

What kind of curry is it?  Looks great by the way, I love a good Curry.

I often make it, but There is a guy in Khon Kaen  who makes currys  freezes them and ships all over Thailand. I am fortunate that I live near him so every month or so I meet up with him and buy 10-15 of them 

If you like hot, His madras and vindaloo chicken curry  are  brilliant!!

PS: I have no affiliation with the man . 

Ruby Murry's Currys

https://www.facebook.com/ruby.murryscurrys.7

8iuTX4LlGZO.pngAuthor

Ruby Murry's Currys

🔥🔥❄ Orders taken for frozen delivery this week nationwide by door to door courier from 160 baht ❄🙏 Selection Box available 🔥
Easy process to order send us a message on Messenger to order or Line ID.... rubymurryscurrys
Email... ruby.murrys.currys AT gmail.com
Whats app...09690-73613
All currys are approx 400 grams.
Lamb Rogan Josh 🌶🌶250 bt
Lamb Vindaloo 🌶🌶🌶🌶250bt
Beef Madras🌶🌶🌶 170 bt
Beef Vindaloo 170🌶🌶🌶🌶 bt
Authentic Goan Pork Vindaloo🌶🌶🌶 160 bt
King Prawn Pathia sweet & sour170bt🌶🌶
Chettinad Chicken/Staff curry 160 bt
4 drumsticks Authentic style 🌶🌶🌶🥥🥥
575grams