Three people to be charged with owning a lion without a permit

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-01-25-161745.png

The National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department will initiate legal action against two Thais, a Sri Lankan and a Ukrainian for being in possession of and moving a lion without a permit.

The department’s decision to charge them comes after a viral video clip showed a young lion recently enjoying a ride in a convertible in Pattaya, Chon Buri province.

Veera Khunchairak, the department’s deputy director-general, said that the investigation into the matter has revealed that Swangjit Kosoongnern purchased the animal from a farm in Ratchaburi province on December 6th and obtained a permit to keep a lion.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

How can they be charged with possession without a permit when later in the article it says it was purchased and a permit obtained? Different people?

This maybe -

Swangjit applied for a permit to move it to Pattaya, but did so before the permit was granted.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The department’s decision to charge them comes after a viral video clip showed a young lion recently enjoying a ride in a convertible in Pattaya

Crickey, I better be more careful when I'm out and about in my convertible Bentley cruising with my pet lion. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

They must eat at least 10 kg of meat a day. How could you afford to feed one of these. TESCO does not sell a cheap line of lion food.

Plentiful supply of soi dog meat wandering about.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The department’s decision to charge them comes after a viral video clip

Otherwise naff all would have happened. Money talks. 100K fine is just loose change to these wealthy people.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shackleton said:

Personally I think people should not be allowed to keep animals like lions Tigers ect 

This looks more like people with influence and wealth flaunting it showing off

The keeping of  exotic animals should be banned permanently .

Back in the early 00's, the former PM suggested that exotic meats, such as lion, tiger, and other endangered species, be on the menu at the Chiang Mai Night Safari. 

To attract tourists of course, notwithstanding his cultural origins. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Good reporting from THAT paper.....which stated all papers and permits were in order???

They were in order for her home Provence one for Pattaya not approved yet, and now it won't be

11 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

They must eat at least 10 kg of meat a day. How could you afford to feed one of these. TESCO does not sell a cheap line of lion food.

The guy owns a Bentley. B20 million plus here

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Two Thais, a Sri Lankan and a Ukrainian. I make that 4 people but the thread title says 3.

Sri Lankan would be getting charged with possessing and moving which was mentioned.

22 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

They keep finding tons of frozen pork all over the place...... 

On 1/26/2024 at 8:56 AM, Geoffggi said:

What I cannot understand is WHY? These lovely animals should be in the wild, alternatively, if for what ever reason this is not possible they should be properly cared for by qualified people e.g. appropriate zoo's who have the facilities, space and vetinarian professionals on hand to take care of these animals and not some Hi-So person who likes to show off IMO !!!!

Because as a comedian once said,  some people just suck.

For those interested......

The tool in the car was a 56 year old Sri Lankan who has fled the country and left some bird to deal with it. And yes, the Bentley was a rental. Making him an even bigger <deleted>.....

It's all here: 

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/01/25/update-thai-woman-unveiled-as-real-owner-of-lion-cub-in-pattaya-now-facing-legal-charges/

• Haha 1