Questions regarding April Expat Insurance

Y Chang

I am interested in exploring expat insurance provided by April.  Previous discussions in the forum mentioned about an entity called April France and it seems like this should be the one to purchase expat insurance from.  However, when I google April expat insurance, the search only returns April International, and the contact is a local agent in Thailand.  This agent told me that she represents April Asia.  

I am a bit confuse.  What is the difference between April Asia and April France in terms of expat insurance they are providing?

Does anyone have a link to April France?  And better yet, a direct contact from April France?

Appreciate any response in advance!

Due to local regulations and market practice, insurers based in Thailand in general provide less broad coverage than most European insurers and have sometime less professional underwriting and claims-handling attitudes. If you have a choice, you are usually better off insuring with an insurer that is not domiciled in Thailand. 

Bear in mind that April is an insurance broker, not an insurance company, so they could possibly place their clients' business with any of a number of different insurers, each of which may have differing underwriting standards and claims-handling attitudes. April Thailand will not be able to place your coverage with April France or any other offshore insurer due to local regulations.

You may have to engage an insurance broker offshore since April France's website will re-direct you back to April Thailand if you select Thailand as the country of coverage/residence.  

You may wish to consider getting a quote from Cigna. I think their office in Singapore will provide medical cover for expats in Thailand.

https://www.cigna.com.sg/individual-health-insurance/index

This page has a phone number at the bottom which should get you through.

https://expat.april-international.com/members/login.jsf

However I am with them and after the change to brokers here in Thailand my direct contact was ....disappointing..........

If you have read the other April threads you should have seen one where @Sheryl ferreted out a French agent that she is now using as an intermediary between her and April International. Contact details were in one of the posts.

49 minutes ago, topt said:

This page has a phone number at the bottom which should get you through.

https://expat.april-international.com/members/login.jsf

However I am with them and after the change to brokers here in Thailand my direct contact was ....disappointing..........

If you have read the other April threads you should have seen one where @Sheryl ferreted out a French agent that she is now using as an intermediary between her and April International. Contact details were in one of the posts.

Thank you for the info topt.

I was wondering, are you currently with April International then?  What is the difference between April France and April International?

Regarding the reference from Sheryl, I was only able to retrieve her direction to AA-World.  Unfortunately, their website has still not been launched yet.

Sheryl, do you mind provide the contact info of your French agent again?  Thank you so much.

40 minutes ago, Y Chang said:

I was wondering, are you currently with April International then?  What is the difference between April France and April International?

Yes.

I respectfully suggest you read some of the threads in the Insurance section in order to get a better understanding of potential pros and cons to enable you to make a qualified decision.

Simplistically you should have greater protection with International policies rather than specific Thailand based policies. As an example many (not all) Thailand based policies will stop insuring you at 70 or 75 whereas most International based policies will carry on - as long as you can afford the premiums......

I was with April International...    

They pre-approved treatment....   after I underwent 130,000 baht treatment.

About a month later (I think) I started gettng letters from the hospital asking me to pay.

The reason....  'pre-existing conditions'.... or rather, a pre-existing condition that I had not had in more than 5 years.

The policy had a 5 year moratorium on pre-existing conditions (in my case a kidney stone). 

I'd had a kidney stone more than 5 years previously, and in a medical 4.5 years previously (to treatment) it was noted that there was no stone and that it must have passed.

Another stone appeared in a later medical for which I sought treatment. 

When applying for April insurance (which I'd held for a couple of years) on the forms I filled out that I had no pre-existing conditions or renal stones / complications within the last 5 years (because I hadn't).

After approving treatment, and then refusing to cover the cost, April claimed that it was because of a pre-existing condition within 5 years. 

That the note in my records of the 'absence' of a previous kidney stone was enough to alert them to a pre-existing condition.

It would have been ok if the Dr hadn't mentioned the presence of nothing (absence of an older stone that must have passed).

Very annoying as I'd had the treatment at Bumrungrad... I argued, rejected, dragged my heels etc...  but started getting letters from Bumrungrad that I have to pay (they warned of legal action)... 

As I travel a lot of for work I had little choice but to pay up as I don't want complications at Immigration upon departure should things go that far. 

I removed myself and family from Aprils insurance and went elsewhere (LUMA).

Its impossible to tell if other Insurance Companies would behave the same, but I was most unhappy with April and believe their actions were wrong - I just didn't have the time to fight it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

About a month later (I think) I started gettng letters from the hospital asking me to pay.

The reason....  'pre-existing conditions'.... or rather, a pre-existing condition that I had not had in more than 5 years.

The policy had a 5 year moratorium on pre-existing conditions (in my case a kidney stone). 

I'd had a kidney stone more than 5 years previously, and in a medical 4.5 years previously (to treatment) it was noted that there was no stone and that it must have passed.

When applying for April insurance (which I'd held for a couple of years) on the forms I filled out that I had no pre-existing conditions or renal stones / complications within the last 5 years (because I hadn't).

After approving treatment, and then refusing to cover the cost, April claimed that it was because of a pre-existing condition within 5 years. 

That the note in my records of the 'absence' of a previous kidney stone was enough to alert them to a pre-existing condition.

It would have been ok if the Dr hadn't mentioned the presence of nothing (absence of an older stone that must have passed).

Very annoying as I'd had the treatment at Bumrungrad... I argued, rejected, dragged my heels etc...  but started getting letters from Bumrungrad that I have to pay (they warned of legal action)... 

As I travel a lot of for work I had little choice but to pay up as I don't want complications at Immigration upon departure should things go that far. 

Its impossible to tell if other Insurance Companies would behave the same, but I was most unhappy with April and believe their actions were wrong - I just didn't have the time to fight it.

One of the good things about thai insurers is you can go to court easy, not like some insurer in UK or remote island.

Luma is very similar to April, I'm aware of court case they had due to a similar claim denied

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Was this April Thailand or April France? (Sounds more like the former)

If it was April France, and if you fully declared the past condition on your application and they did not apply an exclusion or moratorium in your policy then you could have appealed this.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

One of the good things about thai insurers is you can go to court easy, not like some insurer in UK or remote island.

Luma is very similar to April, I'm aware of court case they had due to a similar claim denied

Not at all "easy" to go to court. Actually with a Thai insurer you start by filing a complaint with the OIC.

Foreign insurer policies contain clear appeals procedures. Which also do nto require going to court.

LUMA is a Thai policy. It is similar in that respect to April Thailand. Not to April France or other international insurers.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

After approving treatment, and then refusing to cover the cost, April cl'aimed that it was because of a pre-existing condition within 5 years. 

Expand  

Was this April Thailand or April France? (Sounds more like the former)

If it was April France, and if you fully declared the past condition on your application and they did not apply an exclusion or moratorium in your policy then you could have appealed this.

I believe it was April International (e-mails back and forth from @april.com)...   I did appeal, directly to them - they continued to reject. 

The letter stated any new evidence to counter the rejection be submitted to APRIL Assistance (Thailand) Co., Ltd' which makes me suspect I was actually with April Thailand...   (knowing exactly if we are with April International as I beleived, or with April Thailand is not as clear cut as we may think - I still cannot be sure)...

Knowing what I know now, I should have appealed directly to an ombudsman at the time and also informed Bumrungrad of the appeal, as at the time I was receiving letters from Bumrungrad with a warning of legal action should I delay payment further. 

As I work overseas and travel back and forth a lot I didn't want there to be any impact on my travel - the concern at the time was potentially being prevented from leaving the country if charges were filed against me...  not being able to travel to work would have cost me significantly more than the cost of the treatment owed to Bumrungrad, I therefore chose to write off the cost and removed myself and family from the Policy.

I have since learned and check that Dr's do not write anything 'ambiguous' in my file which the underwriters could misinterpret or use to their advantage.

Edited by richard_smith237

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Taking an insurance company to court for 130,000 baht....  and not travelling overseas for work while I pursue this legal battle...

Thats not going to happen - as much as I dislike the situation I was in, the only sensible route I could foresee at the time was to write it off. 

This was 4 years ago is water under the bridge - the story on here is not seek advice, but to forewarn others that this company rejected my claim for a reason I found unfair.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

LUMA is a Thai policy. It is similar in that respect to April Thailand. Not to April France or other international insurers.

LUMA is who I moved to...   They have paid out every time for treatment for (inpatient only treatment) for my Wife and Son, so I'm happy with them. 

I've since moved to Cygna (through work) which is outstanding, but I believe that policy would be outrageously expensive if I purchased directly. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Taking an insurance company to court for 130,000 baht....  and not travelling overseas for work while I pursue this legal battle...

It wouldn't have restricted your travel, anyway you didn't take them to court like many, easy for insurers to deny claim

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not at all "easy" to go to court. Actually with a Thai insurer you start by filing a complaint with the OIC.

I don't think that's true at all, the Luma case i refer to didn't go to OIC, just need to find a lawyer 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't think that's true at all, the Luma case i refer to didn't go to OIC, just need to find a lawyer 

They may have opted to go straight to a lawyer (for example if seeking damages) but they certainly could have -- and should have -- first filed a complaint with the OIC.

Lawyers cost money. Filing with the OIC does not

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I believe it was April International (e-mails back and forth from @april.com)...   I did appeal, directly to them - they continued to reject. 

The letter stated any new evidence to counter the rejection be submitted to APRIL Assistance (Thailand) Co., Ltd' which makes me suspect I was actually with April Thailand...   (knowing exactly if we are with April International as I beleived, or with April Thailand is not as clear cut as we may think - I still cannot be sure)...

Knowing what I know now, I should have appealed directly to an ombudsman at the time and also informed Bumrungrad of the appeal, as at the time I was receiving letters from Bumrungrad with a warning of legal action should I delay payment further. 

As I work overseas and travel back and forth a lot I didn't want there to be any impact on my travel - the concern at the time was potentially being prevented from leaving the country if charges were filed against me...  not being able to travel to work would have cost me significantly more than the cost of the treatment owed to Bumrungrad, I therefore chose to write off the cost and removed myself and family from the Policy.

I have since learned and check that Dr's do not write anything 'ambiguous' in my file which the underwriters could misinterpret or use to their advantage.

Yes, you were with April Thailand and NOT April International.

Big difference.

Had you been with April international all correspondence would have been from France and emails would have had the extension @april-international.com

April Thailand has a policy called "My Health International", which confuses many people into thinking the policy is from April International. It is not. I do nto know of any way to apply directly to April France from Thailand, have to go through a broker. Trying to do this online automatically routes you to April Thailand.

The policy document itself (which should always be read carefully, in fill) spells out who the contract is with as well.

With a Thai policy like this there is no ombudsman to go to. Only recourse would be the OIC. OIC will be of help only if what the insurer is doing clearly violates the terms of the policy.

Policies with April France have recourse to the French Insurance Ombudsman.

The General Conditions for policy  with April France states exclusion only for "previously declared conditions which were excluded at the time of enrolment in the plan". No moratorium period and no later deciding something was pre-existing, unless it emerges that the insured failed to declare something they should have.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It wouldn't have restricted your travel, anyway you didn't take them to court like many, easy for insurers to deny claim

After months of bank and forth with April Insurance I was also getting letters from Bumrungrad, a latter couple threatening legal action. 

I was not 100% confident that my travel would not be impeded and any slight delay would be more costly than the cost of the claim.

I'm not sure how realistic the concern was, but I had read that it is possible for a company owed money to file a police report and with that they could put a hold on any potential departures. I also know this is the case for landlords if they thing someone is fleeing without paying the owed rent etc - I wasn't going to take the risk.

Edited by richard_smith237

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

LUMA is a Thai policy.

LUMA is an insurance broker, not an insurance policy.

Thailand - Luma Care Co., Ltd.:
Non-life insurance broker licence in Thailand: ว00008/2555
Life insurance broker licence in Thailand: ช00012/2564

Edited by Liverpool Lou

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

After months of bank and forth with April Insurance I was also getting letters from Bumrungrad, a latter couple threatening legal action. 

I was not 100% confident that my travel would not be impeded and any slight delay would be more costly than the cost of the claim.

I'm not sure how realistic the concern was, but I had read that it is possible for a company owed money to file a police report and with that they could put a hold on any potential departures. I also know this is the case for landlords if they thing someone is fleeing without paying the owed rent etc - I wasn't going to take the risk.

What you could have done is paid the hospital bill to get them off your back then got a lawyer to claim back the money from insurers, anyway you didn't so water under the bridge 

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

LUMA is an insurance broker, not an insurance policy.

Thailand - Luma Care Co., Ltd.:
Non-life insurance broker licence in Thailand: ว00008/2555
Life insurance broker licence in Thailand: ช00012/2564

It's not as clear cut as that, Thailand after all, i know someone who had Luma health insurance through a different broker

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What you could have done is paid the hospital bill to get them off your back then got a lawyer to claim back the money from insurers, anyway you didn't so water under the bridge 

Indeed... water under the bridge... Although, how much would a lawyer cost to claim back 130,000 from a Thai insurance company, and what are the chances of winning ???...     that could be throwing good money after bad.... 

LUMA is who I moved to...   

EDIT...

VUMI is who I moved to (not LUMA) They have paid out every time for treatment for (inpatient only treatment) for my Wife and Son, so I'm happy with them. 

I've since moved to Cygna (through work) which is outstanding, but I believe that policy would be outrageously expensive if I purchased directly. 

Thank you everyone for your input, particularly Sheryl and richard_smith237’s.

The discussion help me clarify a few things now:

1.  APRIL France is a wholesale broker.

2. APRIL International offers health insurance.  The plan is MyHEALTH.  There is a MyHEALTH Hong Kong, MyHEALTH Thailand and MyHEALTH Asia,

just a few flavors I am aware of.

Here is my story so far:  I went to April France website, then select April International.   Under “look for a plan”, I entered long term insurance in Thailand.  The website returned with “MyHEALTH Thailand”.  I then entered some other personal information to ask for a quote.  A day later, a lady with a Thai name and with email extension “@April.com” contacted me.  I asked her if she represented April out of Thailand or France, she said she was representing APRIL Asia.  She suggested MyHEALTH Hong Kong (for a few reasons) and she confirmed that it is an international health insurance plan.

I have a few questions at this point, and will appreciate any input:

1.  @Sheryl, as you got your insurance from APRIL France, and APRIL France is a broker, which means APRIL France is not the insurer.  Who is the insurer then?  Are you also under MyHEALTH?  If you are, which region does it cover?  (Please feel free to let me know if you feel that this information is too personal or too intrusive, I understand).

2.  Is it safe to take the words from this lady from APRIL, that the policy she is selling me is indeed an international policy?  Is there anywhere I can verify additionally, or any documents I can ask for or check?

3.  My goal really is to get a truly international insurance and I hope to avoid purchasing a local Thai policy unknowingly.  If there are other safer brokers or insurance providers I can go to, please feel free to make any suggestions.

4.  FYI, some approaches I have already made or will make:

a.  I have already approached ICI (International Citizens Insurance), they can’t provide any plans that fit my budget.

b.  I have contacted Expat Insurance and waiting for their response.

c.  GeoBlue is too expensive.

d.  Cigna Healthcare seems to have a plan that fits my budget, but they have very bad reviews.

e.  I will contact AOC, as suggested by Sheryl.

f.   Will also look into VUMI, as mentioned by richard_smith237.

Thank you so much for everyone’s time, and as usual, I learn something new all the time!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Y Chang said:

Thank you everyone for your input, particularly Sheryl and richard_smith237’s.

The discussion help me clarify a few things now:

1.  APRIL France is a wholesale broker.

2. APRIL International offers health insurance.  The plan is MyHEALTH.  There is a MyHEALTH Hong Kong, MyHEALTH Thailand and MyHEALTH Asia,

just a few flavors I am aware of.

Here is my story so far:  I went to April France website, then select April International.   Under “look for a plan”, I entered long term insurance in Thailand.  The website returned with “MyHEALTH Thailand”.  I then entered some other personal information to ask for a quote.  A day later, a lady with a Thai name and with email extension “@April.com” contacted me.  I asked her if she represented April out of Thailand or France, she said she was representing APRIL Asia.  She suggested MyHEALTH Hong Kong (for a few reasons) and she confirmed that it is an international health insurance plan.

I have a few questions at this point, and will appreciate any input:

1.  @Sheryl, as you got your insurance from APRIL France, and APRIL France is a broker, which means APRIL France is not the insurer.  Who is the insurer then?  Are you also under MyHEALTH?  If you are, which region does it cover?  (Please feel free to let me know if you feel that this information is too personal or too intrusive, I understand).

2.  Is it safe to take the words from this lady from APRIL, that the policy she is selling me is indeed an international policy?  Is there anywhere I can verify additionally, or any documents I can ask for or check?

3.  My goal really is to get a truly international insurance and I hope to avoid purchasing a local Thai policy unknowingly.  If there are other safer brokers or insurance providers I can go to, please feel free to make any suggestions.

4.  FYI, some approaches I have already made or will make:

a.  I have already approached ICI (International Citizens Insurance), they can’t provide any plans that fit my budget.

b.  I have contacted Expat Insurance and waiting for their response.

c.  GeoBlue is too expensive.

d.  Cigna Healthcare seems to have a plan that fits my budget, but they have very bad reviews.

e.  I will contact AOC, as suggested by Sheryl.

f.   Will also look into VUMI, as mentioned by richard_smith237.

Thank you so much for everyone’s time, and as usual, I learn something new all the time!

April International (based in France) is not a broker as such, and certainly not a "Wholesale broker" which is another type of entity altogther. 

You cannot buy a full range of insurance policies from April International (France). 

They are a non-profit association which "takes out group insurance contracts with insurance organizations for its members" (https://www-associationdesassuresapril-fr.translate.goog/fr/l-association/l-association-en-bref?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc) and then issues individual insurance policies to their members, and directly manages these policies. My insurance contract is directly with April France.  The underwriter is Groupe des Assurances Mutuelles Agricoles.

ALL April policies seem to be called "My Health". But the "MyHealth Policy" issued by April France differs in very important ways from that issued by April Thailand . April UK, April Hong Kong etc. These differences reflect among other things the very different regulations governing health insurance in various places.

The Policies "MYHealth Thailand" "MyHealth Hong Kong" etc are NOT offered  or issued by  April International. They are offered by April Thailand, April Hong Kong etc. These are completely independent companies though there is some sort of relationship to the parent company. I am not sure quite how that works, but what is important to understand is that they are independent organizations registered in their respective countries and bound by insurance regulations in that country.

A policy from April Hong Kong would be international in the sense that it would be issued out of Hong Kong, not Thailand ,but this is not what I mean when I refer to "international policies", I mean policies issued out of a Western country with a good regulatory framework. I don't know anything about insurance regulations in Hong Kong.

As I have explained elsewhere, you cannot get a policy with April France online, as soon as you type in Thailand it routes you to April Thailand.  You have to go through a broker and for that, at this point, I would suggest one based in France such as AOC. (AOC might also be able to provide info on other policies as well).

VUMI has offices in many countries (but not Thailand)and I do not know where a policy issued for someone living in Thailand would be issued out of. This is certainly something to check before insuring with them.

The exact name of the company with whom you have an insurance contact, as well as general exclusions  to coverage, and channels for dispute resolution, are all spelled out in the insurance contract, usually in a section called General Provisions or something like that. You should insist on getting a copy of same before buying any policy.

Cigna Global (based in UK and coming under UK insurance regulations) is not bad. Aseannow members have had very, very large claims paid by them without problem.  However their admin staff are disorganized to say the least so you really need a good broker if insuring with them.