Teenage murder prompts debate in Thailand: Should kids face adult punishments?

webfact

image.jpeg

A shocking murder recently committed by a group of boys aged 13 to 16 has prompted a big question in Thailand. Should children who commit serious crimes be sentenced as harshly as adult criminals?

Under current Thai law, children aged between 12 and 15 are protected from criminal punishment but can be subject to measures imposed by a court. Juvenile offenders aged 15 to 17, meanwhile, may face punishment – including time behind bars. However, they will only receive half the punishment of an adult sentenced for the same offense. If no penalty is meted out, they can still be sentenced to a period of rehabilitation.

Until 2022, all children under the age of 10 were considered too young to be held criminally liable. The age of criminal responsibility was raised that year based on medical opinion that by the age of 12, humans’ mental capacity has developed to the point where they can tell right from wrong.

Will the age of criminal responsibility get lower?

National Police Commissioner General Torsak Sukvimol revealed recently that a panel had been established to scrutinize juvenile crimes over the past five to six years in support of a review into whether Thailand’s current age of criminal responsibility is appropriate.

“The panel is expected to reach a conclusion before the end of this month,” the police chief said. “We will then forward our opinion to the prime minister and relevant authorities.”

TOP: File photo

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Responsibility doesn't;'t just click on like a light bulb. I think there is an argument to be made for giving similar sentences to young offenders as adults, but younger adults should be kept in institutions where they are not going to be prey for older inmates.

• Like 2

Teenage murder prompts debate in Thailand: Should kids face adult punishments?

YES

Absolutely no. 

Kids are not little adults  Anyone who argues otherwise is simply displaying their ignorance. 

we live in a society where everything is readily available via the media. even kids should know that some crimes are plain wrong. seeing a mutilated body should cause enough grief in teens and children that they should know it is wrong. there is no such thing as a pretty murdered body and kids likely have seen more death than previous generations have... at least enough to know it is wrong to kill or harm someone

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A shocking murder recently committed by a group of boys aged 13 to 16 has prompted a big question in Thailand. Should children who commit serious crimes be sentenced as harshly as adult criminals?

Below age of 10 they should get professional counselling at a private institution.

Above 10 they should get the full punishment.

I also believe, do the crime then must do the time, however, I also think that PARENTS need to begin taking responsibility for the acts of their children.  Once the parent pays a fine or does some time, they will think twice about letting the kids run rampant all the time.  I notice in the US, now some of the "progressive" cities are allowing criminals back on the street even before any court time or very little court time, just to turn them back out due to a "rough upbringing", "drugs" or even the "race" excuse.  Some of these have been in the news recently - one was shot trying to hijack a vehicle using a pistol (had been arrested 8 times previously with no jail time and let out on own recognisance instead of bail even) but the last guy he tried to hijack was an off-duty police who shot him.  Some parents are now being charged with negligence and getting up to 2 years in jail for allowing her 6-year old to know how to shoot a gun - he shot his teacher but she was only wounded - 6-years old! but mom just got 2 years in prison!  Here, many parents just send their kids to the grandparents who don't even try to discipline the kids it seems.  Just gets worse on a daily basis as drugs are so prevalent too it seems to me.  Scary at times but since I don't hang out around any of those areas, I can still enjoy the life here so far.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

YES

we live in a society where everything is readily available via the media. even kids should know that some crimes are plain wrong. 

I bet you never did anything as a kid because you knew it was wrong

Right? 

• Confused 1

Result of lack of parental guidance, education and always news topics on TV that shows violence and murders. Kids get the ideas that it is normal... I wrote many times already stop with broadcasting that kind of news...even the re enactments can show kids how to do a crime 

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Right? 

I shudder to think of some of the stuff I got away with as a kid...   from throwing rotten oranges at cars, to shooting arrows at passing trains (home made)...  Luckily no one was every hurt...   We were young, stupid, not thinking of any consequences...   and that could have led very serious outcomes... death of an innocent party even.

But.. none of the above would have been Murder...  For cold blooded murder it takes a certain mind that is already broken.

Perhaps the type of crime and age needs to be considered... this is not just about rehabilitation, its about protecting society too and if a kid of 13 years old has planned and killed someone they are so unhinged they're a potential danger to the rest of society for the rest of their days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Result of lack of parental guidance, education and always news topics on TV that shows violence and murders. Kids get the ideas that it is normal... I wrote many times already stop with broadcasting that kind of news...even the re enactments can show kids how to do a crime 

[ kids get the impression that its normal ]....   no they don't...  no kid thinks murder is normal or acceptable, they all know its wrong whatever their home life and education. 

But, I do accept that the 'dramatisation' of such events and almost glorification can distort the mindset of some 'wrong-uns'... and yes, a lot of that comes down to lack of parental guidance. 

22 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Right? 

i did plenty... but i never murdered anyone, nor did i ever entertained the thought. but wrong doesnt mean criminal... apart from smoking weed and drinking when i was a teen i really didnt do anything criminal. i dont think kids should go to jail for petty things but murder, mutilation of others? yes, i do

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I shudder to think of some of the stuff I got away with as a kid...   from throwing rotten oranges at cars, to shooting arrows at passing trains (home made)...  Luckily no one was every hurt...   We were young, stupid, not thinking of any consequences...   and that could have led very serious outcomes... death of an innocent party even.

But.. none of the above would have been Murder...  For cold blooded murder it takes a certain mind that is already broken.

Perhaps the type of crime and age needs to be considered... this is not just about rehabilitation, its about protecting society too and if a kid of 13 years old has planned and killed someone they are so unhinged they're a potential danger to the rest of society for the rest of their days.

A La Carte adulthood.  

Murder is an unusual occurrence as a percentage of the youth population, and in most instances there is an underlying condition.  Abuse? delayed development?  mental health issues. All mitigating conditions. 

I remember an interview of a toddler, I don't remember the age, perhaps 6 (i should look.it up) 

question: " Do you have a brother? "

answer: "Yes his name is john" 

Question : Does your brother John have a brother?

Answer: " No"

The concept of otherness had not developed yet. He is not a small adult, he is an under developed adult. 

If a child is to be treated e as an adult, then it is only fair that he/she  should be tarted as an adult, 

but they are not, are they? They have certain limitations right? 

why do they have these limitations? because we don't consider them capable of making the right decisions. 

we don't treat them as adults in these issues, yet we want to treat them as adults in others. 

A La Carte adulthood.!! 

6 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i did plenty... but i never murdered anyone, nor did i ever entertained the thought. but wrong doesnt mean criminal...

Yet you knew it was wrong and you did it anyway. 

Not every one of those bad choices end in murder, but some, a very small percentage does. 

Why? , Bad  choices do to immaturity , abusive childhoods,  delayed development, mental health issues. 

Should we hold children responsible for Immaturity? for having been the victims of abuse? for delayed development?  foe suffering from mental health issues? 

Should we treat them all as adults, or should we look at each case individually? 

And another point,

Should we trat them as an adult and put them in jail with other criminals and make career criminals out of them , should we try to rehabilitate them?

It costs 180,000  to jail someone for 4 years 

or 

$105,000 for q 4 year college degree. 

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Yet you knew it was wrong and you did it anyway. 

Not every one of those bad choices end in murder, but some, a very small percentage does. 

Why? , Bad  choices do to immaturity , abusive childhoods,  delayed development, mental health issues. 

Should we hold children responsible for Immaturity? for having been the victims of abuse? for delayed development?  foe suffering from mental health issues? 

Should we treat them all as adults, or should we look at each case individually? 

And another point,

Should we trat them as an adult and put them in jail with other criminals and make career criminals out of them , should we try to rehabilitate them?

It costs 180,000  to jail someone for 4 years 

or 

$105,000 for q 4 year college degree. 

i respect your opinion even if i dont agree with you. maybe some day i will agree with you, but not for now. i have been known to change my mind... but here, i doubt i will. divergence of opinions makes life interesting so keep on truckin' and good luck convincing those who disagree with you

2 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i respect your opinion even if i dont agree with you. maybe some day i will agree with you, but not for now. i have been known to change my mind... but here, i doubt i will. divergence of opinions makes life interesting so keep on truckin' and good luck convincing those who disagree with you

It is the only way to be my friend. we all change or mind a little bit every day.

We are all work in progress, 

Young delinquents should face the full extent of the law, but should not be jailed in the same prisons as the adults.
That would only create more crime and criminals.
In my country, and most of the western countries, juvenil delinquents are jailed in a rehabilitation centre.
Shielded from the adult criminals.

Only in murder cases, where the murder is maybe additional agrevated, the minor delinquents should be jailed in a high security prison and their release from prison bound the severe details. 

43 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Young delinquents should face the full extent of the law, but should not be jailed in the same prisons as the adults.
That would only create more crime and criminals.
In my country, and most of the western countries, juvenil delinquents are jailed in a rehabilitation centre.
Shielded from the adult criminals.

Only in murder cases, where the murder is maybe additional agrevated, the minor delinquents should be jailed in a high security prison and their release from prison bound the severe details. 

I agree with you.. In prison they will learn more criminality... Rehabilitation centres are much better, but in fact first the root of the problem is that many kids are being abandoned by their parents in their education and of course by the many "divorces" and stepfathers/mothers who don't care about the kid of the other parent. Besides Mostly they drop the kids by family or grandparents. It is proven that adopted kid for example have problems with the feeling that parents got rid of them. I am sure here in Thailand is the same. If you don;t feel loved you do bad things as it is no matter ... they don't love anyway... Tackle this problem and with more awareness of parents things could be improved, but this is Thailand

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I agree with you.. In prison they will learn more criminality... Rehabilitation centres are much better, but in fact first the root of the problem is that many kids are being abandoned by their parents in their education and of course by the many "divorces" and stepfathers/mothers who don't care about the kid of the other parent. Besides Mostly they drop the kids by family or grandparents. It is proven that adopted kid for example have problems with the feeling that parents got rid of them. I am sure here in Thailand is the same. If you don;t feel loved you do bad things as it is no matter ... they don't love anyway... Tackle this problem and with more awareness of parents things could be improved, but this is Thailand

Not only in Thailand, but the whole world over.

If you look at kids today, parents are both working full time to get ends meet (according to their lifestyle).

Most students are not smarter than an amoeba, despite going to high school/university.

They spend their time being an activist for the green movement.

That is the sign of the times.

15 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Not only in Thailand, but the whole world over.

If you look at kids today, parents are both working full time to get ends meet (according to their lifestyle).

Most students are not smarter than an amoeba, despite going to high school/university.

They spend their time being an activist for the green movement.

That is the sign of the times.

Love this kind of boomer talk...   This generation is worse than the previous, yadda, yadda, yadda... blrrr, blrrr, blrrr...    

Utter rubbish....   

• Sad 1

I think like this : If someone is aged between 15 and 18 and commits premedidated murder, he or she should be tried as an adult. But of course, he or she should do the time at a children's jail until the age of 18. Again in the case of premedidated murder, if the person is aged between 12 and 15, he or she should be tried as a child but jail sentence should be possible, and of course in that case, the person should be put in a children's prison till the age of 18. For people under 12, I have no idea what should be done. 

By the way, what do you think will happen to the Siam Paragon killer? I have a feeling he won't stay in jail, even for a day. 

Edited by JemJem

On 1/29/2024 at 1:19 PM, Presnock said:

I also believe, do the crime then must do the time, however, I also think that PARENTS need to begin taking responsibility for the acts of their children.  Once the parent pays a fine or does some time, they will think twice about letting the kids run rampant all the time.  I notice in the US, now some of the "progressive" cities are allowing criminals back on the street even before any court time or very little court time, just to turn them back out due to a "rough upbringing", "drugs" or even the "race" excuse.  Some of these have been in the news recently - one was shot trying to hijack a vehicle using a pistol (had been arrested 8 times previously with no jail time and let out on own recognisance instead of bail even) but the last guy he tried to hijack was an off-duty police who shot him.  Some parents are now being charged with negligence and getting up to 2 years in jail for allowing her 6-year old to know how to shoot a gun - he shot his teacher but she was only wounded - 6-years old! but mom just got 2 years in prison!  Here, many parents just send their kids to the grandparents who don't even try to discipline the kids it seems.  Just gets worse on a daily basis as drugs are so prevalent too it seems to me.  Scary at times but since I don't hang out around any of those areas, I can still enjoy the life here so far.

Parents don’t raise kids here the grandparents do