TIG Welding and Stainless 1.5mm

skippybangkok

8 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

Working on something which needs some precise work

You are in the wrong country for that.

Good luck!

If nobody has any better idea I suggest visit "wood street" in Bangkok, you can google it.

They have obviously a lot of wood related shops. They also have lots of shops with steel of any kind. I am pretty sure you should be able to find someone there. This is not a tourist place and many Thais over there don't speak any English.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

In theory, anyone who makes stainless steel gates.

I did know of a stainless fabricator in BKK. I will have to exercise the grey matter.

Not the one I know but..Wanawat Stainless Steel Co.,LTD.. on Suksawat Road across the river. They also have a brake so can make a box with fewer welds. 

Just go on Google Maps and search for stainless steel to find others maybe nearer you.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

How do you figure that ?

In case that is not a rhetoric question: It seems many Thai workers don't even understand the concept of precision like straight walls or anything like that. And even if they understand it, many don't really care. Like a few mm left or right, does it matter? Yes, sometimes it does matter! 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, azt219 said:

Are you looking for a welder or the equipment (TIG welding machine and stainless steel welding wires)?

For welders, it's quite difficult if you don't speak Thai.  

Cheers... lived here for 30 years, and read and speak Thai so no issue there. 

Yes... looking for someone better than my current guy to do some "precision" work welding 1.5mm stainless steel into little boxes 

On 1/30/2024 at 10:42 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

In case that is not a rhetoric question: It seems many Thai workers don't even understand the concept of precision like straight walls or anything like that. And even if they understand it, many don't really care. Like a few mm left or right, does it matter? Yes, sometimes it does matter! 

If you are a cheap charlie and hire a farmer instead of a professional to save a few batt don't expect a perfect job.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

If you are a cheap charlie and hire a farmer instead of a professional to save a few batt don't expect a perfect job.

Correct.

But even if you hire expensive professionals don't expect that all of them or even the majority of them do great jobs.

And sometimes it seems to be impossible to find any competent and reliable professionals in Thailand, even when people are willing to pay a lot of money.

Recently I saw this video, not from Thailand. I found it interesting.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 4:06 PM, azt219 said:

Are you looking for a welder or the equipment (TIG welding machine and stainless steel welding wires)?

If he walks into a welding shop with a diagram and measurements and points at the sheet metal he wants he won't have to say a word.

On 1/31/2024 at 4:06 PM, azt219 said:

I have found that some skills, processes and trades are universal. You don't need to speak the local language fluently you simply speak the language of that skill to someone competent in that, skill, process, or trade. Of course, you need to be competent yourself touse that universal language.

OP you could try this place. https://maps.app.goo.gl/fWfzNzLMG92bEukU6

The kitchen equipment fab shops on Rama IV all seem to be gone. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

Plus, not mentioned by the opener if the s/s boxes are used for food etc. they need to be food quality s/s 316 grade,normal s/s products exhaust pipes etc. use a much cheaper 304 grade s/s which would contaminate food stuffs, these are UK standards quoted, hope this helps without getting too technical!

• Haha 1

An open top box or one that opens and closes? A box that small that opens and closes with hinges will be tough. 

Open top box any of the little gate and fence shops can do it. There is one across from the new HomePro in Lat Krabang that did a few things for me. 

Make a drawing and a cardboard model of exactly what you want and take it with you. 

What is your budget? If a few hundred baht, don't waste any time looking. 

Typical falang, paint all Thais with the same brush.

day28_5.JPG

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

Plus, not mentioned by the opener if the s/s boxes are used for food etc. they need to be food quality s/s 316 grade,normal s/s products exhaust pipes etc. use a much cheaper 304 grade s/s which would contaminate food stuffs, these are UK standards quoted, hope this helps without getting too technical!

Not forgetting 200 series stainless which is used for cooking pots and furniture. 

It is almost impossible to tell all of them apart except in a lab or that the 200 series can be slightly magnetic. 

One site where I spent 7 years would not allow 304 through the gate for that reason.

Most gates etc here are made of lower quality grades so care is needed if you live near the sea.

No not too technical.

You know little of the fabrication and machinist operations in Thailand I see.

The company I work for welds product that has finished tolerance of +/-0.5mm (sometimes less depending on customer), Thai's make the weld fixtures, Thai's weld the product.

We are one of thousands of companies that do this....... in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Not forgetting 200 series stainless which is used for cooking pots and furniture. 

It is almost impossible to tell all of them apart except in a lab or that the 200 series can be slightly magnetic. 

One site where I spent 7 years would not allow 304 through the gate for that reason.

Most gates etc here are made of lower quality grades so care is needed if you live near the sea.

No not too technical.

Agreed i was a sheetmetalworker in manufacturing equipment mainly for the food industry 316 s/s was food quality and finished pieces were checked by a visiting inspector using an acid spot on the s/s before excepting!

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

Seems people in the UK have different opinions on SS 200 and SS 304

https://www.die-pat.co.uk/what-is-food-grade-stainless-steel

As far as the 200 series goes, this is still a food grade stainless steel, but is less resistant to corrosion overall, as manganese is used instead of nickel. These products are not as safe as the 304 grade or the 300 series as a whole.

Most food contact equipment, pipework,  containers and sinks are made from type 304 or 316 grades of stainless steel.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Agreed i was a sheetmetalworker in manufacturing equipment mainly for the food industry 316 s/s was food quality and finished pieces were checked by a visiting inspector using an acid spot on the s/s before excepting!

My best friend did the same and fabricated the raven house at the Tower.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:51 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Correct.

But even if you hire expensive professionals don't expect that all of them or even the majority of them do great jobs.

And sometimes it seems to be impossible to find any competent and reliable professionals in Thailand, even when people are willing to pay a lot of money.

Interesting video but I wonder if the fabricators knew the extent of the testing on completion ? In the video the frame was made of carbon steel  . If stainless had been used the distortion would have been greater  .  The welding method was co2 or helium gas MIG which has a greater heat input compared to T.I.G. welding . To avoid distortion caused by welding on a simple frame structure as was in the video requires pre- stressing as was demonstrated and the cost to fabricate would have been higher  . However distortion control is far more difficult when welding sheet materials . ( e.g. noticeable on the shell panels on ship hulls ) . I have noticed that in Thailand many fabrications are T.I.G. tack welded only to avoid distortion and reduce costs . Seen that on s/s balconies and s/s gates etc . 

On 2/1/2024 at 8:51 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Correct.

Lol complains about 1/16 deviation in the corners... the drawing calls  out 1/16 flatness in the GD&T !

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Typical falang, paint all Thais with the same brush.

Which part of "many Thai workers" don't you understand? I didn't write "Thai workers" or "all Thai workers".

If you know many Thai workers who do precision work, then it seems we live in very different parts of the country. 

2 hours ago, superal said:

The welding method was co2 or helium gas MIG which has a greater heat input compared to T.I.G. welding .

Really!!! That would be a very unusual choice of gases, pure CO2 will splatter, helium isn’t a common welding gas as it’s expensive. The standard is 75/25 argon/CO2. You can use pure Argon but it isn’t optimal for the material being welded.