Health alert: Your favourite grilled pork buffet could be killing you

webfact

image.jpeg

The Ministry of Public Health (MPH) issued a dire warning to all Moo Kratha enthusiasts, exposing the perilous health risks lurking behind the seemingly innocent Thai barbeque-style grilled pork.

Moo Kratha has been a Thai culinary delight but the MPH’s latest survey unveiled a dark side to this all-you-can-eat extravaganza, putting the health of many Thais at risk.

A comprehensive survey conducted by the Department of Health Service Support revealed that 32.1% of respondents are regularly partaking in grilled pork buffets, raising alarming concerns about their health habits.

This culinary phenomenon, where patrons cook raw pork, beef, chicken, sausages, meatballs, and seafood on an upside-down wok-like hot plate, has been identified as a breeding ground for five hazardous eating habits, each a potential precursor to chronic diseases, reported The Nation.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of The Nation

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

unveiled a dark side to this all-you-can-eat extravaganza

Never did like all-you-can eat buffets.

I don't think eating as much as you can, can be healthy for you....

Edited by metisdead
Trolling meme removed.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I prefer pork with the fat completely grilled out of it.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with fat per se. Inuits live on a diet very high in fat.

The problem starts when too much sugar and carbohydrate is in a diet, because the body is metabolizing those compounds instead of fat, which then accumulates.

During the Depression in Australia, some rural families actually became fat deficient, because they were living mainly on rabbit meat, which is the leanest meat of all.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

what does that even mean?

Read the link/full article

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Using one pair of chopsticks to manipulate both raw and cooked meat is never a good idea.

I never thought about it till I read the article, I will change my moo kata style from now on.

Chopstick Blunder: Nearly half (44.7%) commit a chopstick crime, using a single pair to handle raw foods and then consume them. The MPH warns of a lurking streptococcus suis infection threat.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

During the Depression in Australia, some rural families actually became fat deficient, because they were living mainly on rabbit meat, which is the leanest meat of all.

Kangaroo and snake meats are also very lean.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I prefer pork with the fat completely grilled out of it.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with fat per se. Inuits live on a diet very high in fat.

The problem starts when too much sugar and carbohydrate is in a diet, because the body is metabolizing those compounds instead of fat, which then accumulates.

mainly on rabbit meat, which is the leanest meat of all.

Absolutely NOT correct:

Fat content per 100g as below:

Rabbit:                                   Kangaroo Fillet                                   Kangaroo Steak

Total Fat                                                 3g                                         1g                                                   1.4g

Saturated Fat                                0.9g                                      0.4g                                                0.6g

Trans Fat                                       0.7g                                     <0.1g                                                 0.1g

Polyunsaturated Fat                    0.6g                                       0.4g                                                0.2g

Monounsaturated Fat                  0.8g                                       0.2g                                                0.5g

The above chart clearly shows that kangaroo meat is significantly leaner than rabbit meat. However, Rabbit meat does contain more grams per 100 grams of healthier fats (Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated fat) than kangaroo meat, but BOTH have their healthy fates at almost 50% of total fat.     

If I had to choose between the 2, it would depend on whether I was wanting lean meat or a high % of healthy fats.    Either way I used to eat lots of rabbit meat when growing up, butwild rabbits got to the point where it was unsafe to eat them due to myxamatosis. I've also eaten plenty of roo meat and from a taste perspective only, I preferred roo meat. Eating rabbit meat was akin to eating fish, too many small bones to be wary of.    

28 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

mainly on rabbit meat, which is the leanest meat of all.

Absolutely NOT correct:

Fat content per 100g as below:

Rabbit:                                   Kangaroo Fillet                                   Kangaroo Steak

Total Fat                                                 3g                                         1g                                                   1.4g

Saturated Fat                                0.9g                                      0.4g                                                0.6g

Trans Fat                                       0.7g                                     <0.1g                                                 0.1g

Polyunsaturated Fat                    0.6g                                       0.4g                                                0.2g

Monounsaturated Fat                  0.8g                                       0.2g                                                0.5g

The above chart clearly shows that kangaroo meat is significantly leaner than rabbit meat. However, Rabbit meat does contain more grams per 100 grams of healthier fats (Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated fat) than kangaroo meat, but BOTH have their healthy fates at almost 50% of total fat.     

If I had to choose between the 2, it would depend on whether I was wanting lean meat or a high % of healthy fats.    Either way I used to eat lots of rabbit meat when growing up, butwild rabbits got to the point where it was unsafe to eat them due to myxamatosis. I've also eaten plenty of roo meat and from a taste perspective only, I preferred roo meat. Eating rabbit meat was akin to eating fish, too many small bones to be wary of.    

You are correct. However, it is still a matter of fact some rural dwellers became fat deficient on a diet of rabbit meat, although entirely possible they were eating kangaroo too.

I prefer rabbit meat over kangaroo, unless roo is young it tastes musty to me.

Myxomatosis made less of a dent in the rabbit populations of the hotter regions of Australia, it needed moisture and mosquitoes to spread it. Conversely, calcivirus ravaged the hot regions, and did not seem to be as effective in colder areas.

Before calcivirus, if you ordered chicken chow mein at an inland Chinese restaurant, there was a fair chance you were getting rabbit instead.

Bones in rabbit never bothered me. I would get 10 or 20 in an evening's hunt, and only ate the hind legs. The station dogs were happy to eat the rest.

X could be killing you.

or

X might be good for your health.

It seems X can be replaced with almost anything.

Summary: if you eat something it might be bad for you. But it might be good for you. But it is sure that if you don't eat at all you will die.

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

X could be killing you.

or

X might be good for your health.

It seems X can be replaced with almost anything.

Summary: if you eat something it might be bad for you. But it might be good for you. But it is sure that if you don't eat at all you will die.

Blimey. That is a bit cerebral for this time on a Friday evening.

• Haha 1

If you drink too much water, you can die.

If you drink water or any fluid it can contain micro plastic, which can end up in your bloodstream. Also with eating.

Thailand still uses pesticides, which are forbidden in western countries.

Years ago they would stop, but never heard different after announcement.

I wonder what pigs are eating, probably everything, not controlled? Vegetable waste with the pesticides?

The dust particles, they dont end it. Not dying on food, maybe then air will get you.

If you survive all, then you might be killed in traffic with a Thai rate of about 40 people/day.

Funny as I did Thai driving test and a question is "can a stupid person drive?".

Of course i answered "no" , should have known better with Thailand, as you are allowed to drive, when stupid.  

And now whining about grilled pork?

• Haha 1

“Everything in moderation,” goes the old line, meaning don't binge, and don't abstain, but do take it easy on the bad stuff. Between the two poles of asceticism and indulgence, moderation is about never giving up or fully giving in. It's a reasonable approach: walk the rational temperate middle road to health.

Everything counts in large amounts;