Thai emission laws transform: What drivers need to know

webfact

It is strange how my triton then my Ford Everest purchased new, well serviced. Every time I rev the engine, big black clouds  of smoke spewed from their exhausts. This means in my eyes Thailands diesel or even exhausts are not 100%. My 7 year old Rav 4 in the uk not one bit of black smoke when reved.

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Don't you think they should stop and fine the driver of this vehicle?Fuel pump a very extra turns so they look cool?car.thumb.JPG.c925dab7f05a7c72c13138fb9cfc0cbc.JPG.eb0da6c752b16de8f46fa5e3b9d26076.JPG

A fine on the driver? No ... on the owner of the car !!!

Euro 5 and 6?   55555. Unfortunately the average pickup driver has a Euro 0 mindset. Euro 5 requires DPF (diesel particulate filter) which I noticed the new Hilux Champ has. Euro 6 requires Adblue in a separate tank.  I cannot imagine (actually I can) how those items will be dealt with here...

As many writers above already mentioned, pointless actions without enforcement .  They should start with the numerous incompetently modified ECUs in pickups belching out smoke.  Annual vehicle tests should be done with the engine under load not at low idle when even the most f....ed up engine will not smoke.

TIT

20240130_091546.jpg

20240130_083320.jpg

2 hours ago, Jack Cook said:

Oh the farcical nonsense and dribble is endless. A quick glance at the rubbish and plastic basically anywhere and everywhere in Thailand reveals that nobody really gives a toss about the environment. Never have, never will 😁

On the contrary, many people care about the environment !!! but it's the polluters that attract all the attention !!

So Thailand just who is going to monitor this and act when a transgression is spotted? 
I sincerely hope it will not be the likes of the cop who today stood idly by as a pickup up truck driver ran a red light and forced me to stop walking across the marked crossing on the road narrowly missing me, the clown in brown just watched and did nothing, obviously there is absolutely no connection between scratching his a - - and doing what he should have in accordance with the law.

So will this new emissions law be implemented ???

Off to 7/11 now to buy more masks.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

n a significant move, Thailand has embraced the Euro 5 standard for diesel fuel, set to kick in from January 1, 2024. This leap, aimed at curbing pollutants from vehicles, aligns the country with European emission benchmarks, showcasing a dedicated effort to cut down on nitrogen oxides, particulate matter, hydrocarbons, and carbon monoxide emissions. It’s a bold step forward in Thailand’s journey towards sustainability and public health protection.

No it does not align it with the EU's emission standards which have been on Euro 6 for 10 years. Euro 5 which Thailand is adopting was from 2008, 16 years ago. It's not a bold step. It's an incredibly overdue step that is lagging behind one generation of standards and there is no enforcement anyways as evident by the rolling black smoke spewing trucks. Let's not kid ourselves.

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

1st you need a police force.

1st you need a police force and civil service that is not totally riddled with corruption and no accountability.

Mind you not that those of us in the UK can comment seeing as our police authorities are found to be sadly lacking in transparency and integrity in many areas.

The difference between Thailand and Malaysia is quite stark. In Malaysia, I have never seen a vehicle blowing smoke. Here, probably 10% of vehicles.

When a vehicle here is more than 7 years old, it is supposed to be tested every year before re-registration. I've seen vehicles at the testing station in Phan that obviously belong in the wrecker's yard. 200 baht fixes every problem.

8 hours ago, it is what it is said:

someone's in trouble...

car.thumb.JPG.c925dab7f05a7c72c13138fb9cfc0cbc.JPG

Thank you for posting this, when I trad the title of this thread it is exactly what I was thinking. 

Not day goes by that I don't see a similar situation. I am sure you all see them. 

Thailand does not need better emissions regulations, it need to inforce minimal ones. 

If we see it every day , do they mean to tell us the police does not see it?  

another promise and another addition to a long list of failures: soi dogs, noisy motorbikes, beach scams, double prcing, children driving motorbikes, BiB tea money requests, drunk drivers killing people, russian scams and crime, dirty beaches and shore lines and illegal prostitution     

9 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand is stepping up its game in the fight against air pollution with stringent vehicle emission standards. Spearheaded by the Thai Industrial Standards Institute and the Pollution Control Department, these regulations are a testament to Thailand’s commitment to cleaner air and a healthier environment.

In a significant move, Thailand has embraced the Euro 5 standard for diesel fuel, set to kick in from January 1, 2024. This leap, aimed at curbing pollutants from vehicles, aligns the country with European emission benchmarks, showcasing a dedicated effort to cut down on nitrogen oxides, particulate matter, hydrocarbons, and carbon monoxide emissions. It’s a bold step forward in Thailand’s journey towards sustainability and public health protection.

image.jpeg

PHOTO VIA:Scott Graham FROM:Unsplash.com

Thailand’s journey towards these current standards is rooted in a history of environmental consciousness. The Pollution Control Department, established in 1992, underscores the nation’s long-running commitment to environmental quality. This backdrop highlights how Thailand has consistently evolved its regulatory framework, responding to public demands and global trends to ensure a safer, cleaner atmosphere. The historical context provides a lens through which you can appreciate the country’s proactive stance in environmental conservation.

Emissions standards

As you dive deeper into the efforts Thailand is making to curb air pollution, understanding the framework of emissions standards becomes paramount. These regulations dictate how much pollutants a vehicle can emit, ensuring cleaner air for everyone.

Euro III

In your journey to grasp Thailand’s approach to tackling vehicle pollution, you’ll find that the country has embraced the Euro III standard for heavy-duty vehicles. This crucial move aligns Thailand with stringent international norms, specifically tailored to manage emissions from larger commercial vehicles.

What does Euro III entail?

Euro III stands as a significant threshold in the battle against air pollution, setting limits on the principal pollutants: nitrogen oxides (NOx), particulate matter (PM), hydrocarbons (HC), and carbon monoxide (CO). Each of these components plays a role in air quality, and by putting caps on their emission, Euro III helps ensure that the air remains cleaner.

The scope of Euro III in Thailand

Here’s where it gets interactive. If you’re operating or manufacturing motor vehicles exceeding 3,500 kg, equipped with either compression ignition engines or ones running on natural gas (NG) or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), Euro III standards are what you need to meet.

This pivotal regulation covers a broad spectrum of heavy-duty engines, ensuring they emit fewer pollutants and thus contribute significantly to Thailand’s cleaner air initiative. Since Thailand adopted these standards in May 1998, they have been instrumental in the country’s progressive environmental policies.

New vehicle regulations

In an ambitious leap forward, Thailand has charted a course towards even stricter emissions standards. With public health and the vitality of the tourism sector in mind, the country has mandated that automakers align with the Euro 5 and Euro 6 standards swiftly—by the years 2024 and 2026, respectively. This rapid transition underscores the urgency with which Thailand is addressing the air pollution challenges, particularly the menace of PM2.5 pollutants that cloud Bangkok’s skies.

by Sarishti Arora 

PHOTO VIA: Tingey Injury Law Firm FROM:Unsplash.com

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

what good is making these laws when they are not enforced or can pay bribes to get out of the enforcement?

8 hours ago, retarius said:

What irony, the statue of lady Justice wearing a blindfold....here in Thailand, the hub of selective prosecution and justice.

I wonder why they don't have a police crackdown with massive fines on lorries and pick-ups belching out vast amounts of black smoke, seen everywhere on Thai roads, weaving in and out of traffic. Impound any vehicle that doesn't meet emission standards.

Blindfold should be over the mouth.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Don't you think they should stop and fine the driver of this vehicle?Fuel pump a very extra turns so they look cool?car.thumb.JPG.c925dab7f05a7c72c13138fb9cfc0cbc.JPG.eb0da6c752b16de8f46fa5e3b9d26076.JPG

if they set up a road block on Rt 4 between the trucks and pickups,,  they would snag over 100 every hour

they could $$ cash $$ in real big with fines

6 hours ago, jvs said:

I would say. Put the pipe in his mouth, start the engine, step on the gas and let him inhale his macho black smoke for a while. Will do him good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, jvs said:

I would have said the same thing, fuel pump been opened out.

But I have seen a lot of old vehicles belching black smoke, due to lack maintenance probably no money for servicing, ie worn injectors, blocked air cleaner, even pump timing out.

As has been said if the test centers and police do they job that would help the problem. 

11 hours ago, drgoon said:

They should also concentrate on the crop burnoff. That's a massive contributor to pollution. 

And the daily burning of rubbish in rural areas especially the plastic and rubber.

• Like 2

The Pollution Control Department, established in 1992, underscores the nation’s long-running commitment to environmental quality. This backdrop highlights how Thailand has consistently evolved its regulatory framework, responding to public demands and global trends to ensure a safer, cleaner atmosphere

What an absolute crock of sht!! Was recently in town in Chiangmai, and the level of pollution from the smoke belching songthaews and tuk tuks was horrendous. The latter stink the town out. When one goes by, the stench is gross (esp if one is eating) and can linger for minutes. This will not change for a LONG time no matter what well intentioned policies and puerile articles like this purport to convey. These people, along with burners, need to be made an example of and seriously reprimanded. Again, won’t happen. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I don't believe the police in most countries enforce emissions. That would be done at roadside checks by the appropriate government agency or at vehicle testing prior to taxation , as in Thailand.

In US the smog check done every year is automatically transferred to local agency before any registration is sent out.  If you fail then no registration ...  They designed the system to make it extremely hard to bypass.

In Thailand you can pay 500 - 800 THB to inspector and get him to sign off on the smog check.

Big difference!  Police can / will check registration (based on colored tag) and pull you over.

15 hours ago, BritScot said:

It is strange how my triton then my Ford Everest purchased new, well serviced. Every time I rev the engine, big black clouds  of smoke spewed from their exhausts. This means in my eyes Thailands diesel or even exhausts are not 100%. My 7 year old Rav 4 in the uk not one bit of black smoke when reved.

My old Ford Ranger does not do that. 

20 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What a laugh they don't even get tested correctly on inspection they don't even know how to, Checking on Idle, what a bunch of amateurs. Diesels should be floored and watch to see if it clears when the governors kick in. As with air brakes they never check how long it takes to build up air, or if the audio buzzer or gauges work. Tossers.

My Frontier passed the emissions test, there is no smoke and does not use any oil or excessive fuel. But it definitely smells bad out of the exhaust.