800K topped up late ( options please )

Most likely asked and answered before but the search option here drives me crazy and rules and regulations change weekly. 
Also this question is region specific as each Immigration office has different requirements. I am in Chiang Mai.

I am on a Non O with an extension for retirement and using the 800.000 bank option.
I withdrew 300K about 60 days after my last extension but I screwed up and wrongly assumed the 300K had to be back in the account 60 days before my next extension when in fact it is 90 days before.

My renewal is last week of March and the account is already back up to the 800K but it was topped up about 60 days before my pending extension date.

Here are my options as I see it.

A - Get some solid advice from you guys and not some scaremongering hearsay I am getting from my friends.

B - Visit an agent which I did but they wanted 20+K and basically want to get me a new visa   .... and send my bank book with 800K in it to another provience ( really sketcky option ).

C - Plead my case with immigration and see what happens. 
Can they invalidate my current visa or worse because of this ?
This concerns me a lot as there is the possibility that this option might aggrivate the situation.

D - Start the whole tedious process over again as I was told that its not possible to extend my current extension past my renewal date at the end of March.

Any input or work around on option A ?

Thank you.

If you did as you said you have no case to plead - you must keep 800k in bank for 3 months after doing extension of stay - they are very strict on that and you have not done that if only 60 days as you say.

I withdrew 300K about 60 days after my last extension

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The rule is very clear.

800k for 60 days prior to application.

Maintain 800k after extension.

Can be as low as 400k at other months. 

"Maintain 800k after extension.

Can be as low as 400k at other months. "  How many months?

I don't think that the above is very clear!  

I thought there was a fixed period of months/days  both before and after the extension for the 800,000 to be maintained and then a minimum of 400,000 for the other months!

I don't bother about the before and after as I always keep my retirement extension money in a fixed deposit account with no internet/ATM access and use other accounts for daily expenses!

• Agree 1

The agents I approached were not sure of the exact rules with regards 60 days before and 90 days after .

If its 60 days before then Im ok but I will re calculate my withdrawal from after my renewal last year.

Obviously maths is not my strong point. 

19 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I don't bother about the before and after as I always keep my retirement extension money in a fixed deposit account with no internet/ATM access and use other accounts for daily expenses!

Apparently the OP did not maintain 800k+ in a Thai bank account for 3 months after issue of extension.

You maintain the 800k all year round.

Many folk do that.

Indeed I also do that. Great.

The FD account is irrelevant.

A separate account for immigration purposes is a good idea and for daily banking another account. 

15 minutes ago, blue angel said:

The agents I approached were not sure of the exact rules with regards 60 days before and 90 days after .

If its 60 days before then Im ok but I will re calculate my withdrawal from after my renewal last year.

It's not Math issue.

The financials are checked retrospectively.

In other words they check back to last extension date.

In your case you did not maintain the 800k for 3 months after current extension was granted 

You need to start over.

Immigration very strict on this requirement. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Oh please.

Have a dedicated back account for immigration purposes. 

Can be FD or Savings a/c .

Don't touch it. Maintain 800k all year round. 

Beatles song "I wanna hold your hand" springs to mind. 

Yup. Simples.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok I will clear up MY mistake here now.

I do keep a dedicated bank book just for immigration. This one time I needed the money.

What just happened was a combinstion of Google and clueless agents both telling me that the money in my retirement account must be topped up 90 days before my renewal instead of 60.

After looking at my book again the money was withdrawn 97 days after my last extension.

Thanks to all of you for the clarification. Would you believe that some agent was willing to fix my non existent problem for 20K. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, blue angel said:

the money was withdrawn 97 days after my last extension.

Very good news.

8 hours ago, blue angel said:

Would you believe that some agent was willing to fix my non existent problem for 20K. 

Yes.

• Agree 1

The way I see this is only a money problem.. go to agent and get them to renew your visa extension before it runs you should not have to do a whole new visa again. As you are have a current one running.. the cost in pattaya for this is around 12,500b to 15,000b 

• Confused 1

To clear up some possible confusion, the 800k baht has to be held for a minimum of 60 days prior to the date you apply for the extension (regardless of when the current extension ends or new extension begins) and 90 days after the same date (and not 90 days after the extension ends or the new one begins)....and, of course, a minimum of 400k baht all other times.  Correct?

I had something similar happen to me.

I am on marriage visa extensions and my money needs to be in the bank 60 days prior to the new extension.

Mine was three days late into my account.

I went to my local immigration office who checked the calendar days.

The day I would need to apply was a friday but on that day the immigration office would be closed.

This meant I would need to submit my application on the monday which is three days later.

The immigration officer explained that this would not be a problem except that I would be on three days overstay.

I should therefore expect an overstay fine of 500 Baht/day and all would be fine.

For those among you who would chastise me for not keeping funds permanently in my bank all I can say is that my funds kept elsewhere, are earing 12% and I like that.

17 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

It is for this reason I use a separate account and never let it go under 810,000. Just not worth the hassle or risk for a bit of cash. Starting from scratch again can be a lot of work. Agent option not really a good idea if the OP actually now has the required 800k. Good luck whatever happens. A leson to you and all of us on here.

Good general advice on keeping a balance of at least 810K in the account. I do the same. Early on I realized that if you keep only the exact amount required in an account that you could be stymied by an unanticipated bank charge and something as little as a 200 Baht annual ATM card fee. 

Edited by Paul9989
Typo Correction
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, blue angel said:

Would you believe that some agent was willing to fix my non existent problem for 20K. 

You went to an agent wanting a fix for a non-existent problem.  Complaining about the cost for his doing what he does and what you wanted him to do is strange.  Perhaps you wanted him to tell you for free why you shouldn't use him to do his job!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Immigration nailed me recently for a temporary drop below 800k. My balance a few days shy of three months AFTER Non-O renewal, fell to around 795,000 for a short time. When I went to renew a few months ago...bye bye gringo. Visa cancelled. "You must leave Thailand within two weeks". A hurried week in Vientiane, Laos. New Non-O visa, back to Thai immig, jumped through more hoops, and managed to put the jigsaw puzzle back together again. Maybe cost me US$1,500 altogether. Plus the hassle. Personally I think this 800K lockup is a bad law for Thailand and the Thai people. Yes prove we can support ourselves for residency, but then let us spend the money in Thailand. Forcing us to spend less money in Thailand makes no sense to me. I'm okay locking up cash for three months before residence renewal, but after that we should be encouraged to spend it. Another issue is what happens to the 800K when I die? Thai will? Six months of probate? If the immig start 90 day tourist visas I might look into escaping the 800K lockup.

16 hours ago, blue angel said:

At age 3 I knew that 3 + 7 + 2 = 12. It's not the maths, it is the incorrect information which you have been given or learned. 

friend of mine let his drop,  officer told him, you need start all over, leave ,, get 90 day non o...
than pulled him aside an told him he would cost him at least 15,000 baht for all that
BUT
for 10,000 ( no receipt)  no problem   🙂

issuance of extensions is ALWAYS at the discretion of the Immigration officer. 

-----------------------

Personally I think this 800K lockup is a bad law for Thailand and the Thai people

Its a great law for Thailand accounting for those single, no will

and die>
bank just made 800,000   !!!!

Edited by zzzzz

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

all I can say is that my funds kept elsewhere, are earing 12% and I like that.

Please PM with the institution/investment fund.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please PM with the institution/investment fund.

Not 12%, But many financial institutes in Cambodia pay 7-8% on a 1 year fixed deposit .

1 minute ago, zzzzz said:

Not 12%, But many financial institutes in Cambodia pay 7-8% on a 1 year fixed deposit .

I shall wait for a reply from muhendis, whom I quoted.

17 hours ago, blue angel said:

Your OP headline is incorrect. You did not top-up too late, you withdrew too early.

59 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I shall wait for a reply from muhendis, whom I quoted.

The OP is about insufficient funds for immigration purposes.

My additional off topic comment reference investments was a note about why my money is not kept permanently in a Thai bank account. 

Funds are managed for me in the UK switching between suitable platforms. 12% was in years previous to covid but we are slowly getting back there again.

Further discussion about investments is not part of this topic so this is where I stop....

• Haha 1