Surge in Thai condo market fueled by visa-free policy and Chinese buyers

webfact

“a permanent visa-free policy“

What is a permanent visa free policy?

Entry without requiring a visa until such time as the policy is changed?

Free tourist entry visa, good for 90 days?

Permanent entry visa free of charge.

some combination of the above?

I’m unsure why any of them would cause the condo market to boom. It was easy enough for Chinese to get a tourist visa previously and I don’t think the requirements for any other visas have changed. But hey ho, any reason to talk up the housing market is a good reason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Are funds remitted to Thailand for a condo purchase now taxable, for those who are tax residents?

If it is income accumulated since 1st Jan this year, I believe the answer is yes. If it was accumulated in prior years, no, it will be treated as capital.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Since the Chinese real estate market is so unreliable and unstable (and limited) i do expect a surge of sales over here. 

Especially from the cooler Northern China area as well as from Taiwan* and Hong Kong*.

* fleeing option

• Haha 1

Friends have been complaining that the rent of condos in BKK is increasing dramatically due to condos being bought out and foreigners paying way too much on rent. I've been hearing stories of full floors being bought out and only finding foreign renters who will pay high because they compare rent to their home countries. I have a few friends who are very concerned that prices are going to get out of control. Do you think this will become a problem with rent increasing all across BKK?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

“a permanent visa-free policy“

What is a permanent visa free policy?

Entry without requiring a visa until such time as the policy is changed?

Free tourist entry visa, good for 90 days?

Permanent entry visa free of charge.

some combination of the above?

I’m unsure why any of them would cause the condo market to boom. It was easy enough for Chinese to get a tourist visa previously and I don’t think the requirements for any other visas have changed. But hey ho, any reason to talk up the housing market is a good reason

I read it as a permanent stay in Thailand without a visa, for free,  but I think it is actually a permanent policy of a visa free 30 day stay.

• Agree 1

And where's the evidence the "surge" is down to a visa free policy? Government claiming all the laurels. Taiwan and I guess may countries have had visa free policies for years. Mr Johnny-cum-lately Sweater thinks he's the saviour of the nation.

51 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

$1.46 Million for 10,000 condos puts the average price at $146 per unit which sounds about right for some of the shoeboxes that are going up nowadays! 

you don't understand how Thais do numbers. I hope you are a newbie otherwise the post is embarrassing.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1