Could Thailand Really Introduce a Schengen Style Visa for Parts of Southeast Asia?

snoop1130

I like the idea... if it saves us some of the 'fees' which we currently pay to visit those other countries. 

I've only been to Europe once, landing in Frankfurter.  It was so easy and a real dream to visit a lot of other countries while there. 

No hassles with immigration and exorbitant visa fees. 

👍👍👍

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Unlike the Schengen, the tourist would have to go through Thailand first as a sort of HUB, and could not get the same shared visa by initially entering one of the other countries.

I can see Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos.. Maybe Vietnam accepting that. Initially. But I can't see Malaysia, which already has a HUB of arrivals in KL, to accept anything like that.

• Confused 1

A nice idea, but I can still envisage Thai immigration at the borders doing what they do now....

I wonder if you will still have to pay the "tip" as you go across the border to the nice Thai officer?

13 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I like the idea... if it saves us some of the 'fees' which we currently pay to visit those other countries. 

I've only been to Europe once, landing in Frankfurter.  It was so easy and a real dream to visit a lot of other countries while there. 

No hassles with immigration and exorbitant visa fees. 

👍👍👍

You can bet your bottom dollar, you'd still have to pay the entry fees for those countries.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

It works in Europe because the member states are all stable democracies since decades

Whereas:

Cambodia, an autocratic dynastic regime

Myanmar, a military dictatorship in a civil war

Laos, communist regime

Vietnam, communist regime

Malaysia, constitutional religious monarchy

Thailand, something that changes every few years

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Hopefully, including the medical insurance requirement ending the debate on tourists ducking paying bills and need for medical "go fund me" needs. But, as already noted, how to dive up the premiums versus the country services rendered. Hmmm, could look, again at how this works under the Schegen Visa.

7 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

It would be nice to drive to Vientiane for supper, it's only thirty miles away without standing in line pay for a visa that eats up a page of your passport. It will never happen, too many government drones protecting their empires.

Hold it right there.

The proposal, as I understand it, suggests that I would be able to travel from Thailand to Vietnam, for example, without a visa, but I have seen nothing to indicate that

1. Vietnam would not put a stamp, of any size, in my passport saying something like "Entry permitted without visa;

2. I would be allowed to travel back to Thailand without a visa for Thailand.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of officialdom of any county.

2 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Hopefully, including the medical insurance requirement ending the debate on tourists ducking paying bills and need for medical "go fund me" needs. But, as already noted, how to dive up the premiums versus the country services rendered. Hmmm, could look, again at how this works under the Schegen Visa.

Consider Cambodia.  On the border to Laos, the immigration officials demand a $5 stamp fee for each tourist, in addition to the official visa fee.  Multiply that by thousands of tourists daily, and you understand how so many low-ranking officers are cruising around in Lexus SUV's.  This is standard practice, and I'm Shirley the higher-ups know about it and are getting their cut.

There will be resistance.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1