Tragic scooter crash in Thailand leaves Queensland dad in coma

snoop1130

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

Having ridden all around Thailand 100,000+++km  i would say yes. 
Have you ridden here, do you have any experience of riding anywhere?

Dude

I have had owned montessa and bultaco trials bikes

Yamaha Enduro bikes 

YZ Scramble bikes 

Harley Davidson Monkey bikes

And push bikes ! 

All ridden in and off road .

Europe and Asia.

So the answer is yes ! 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

With all due respect to those hurt from accidents in Thailand if you are only going to insure for the minimum and hope for the best and expect a go fund me page to pay the rest.Don't bother coming to Thailand.

On 2/9/2024 at 2:57 PM, it is what it is said:

unfortunately, it is unlikely that such health insurance would include hazardous activities such as motorcycling. such activities would have to be added, and paid for and it would not be cheap,

Unlikely but not unknown. My travel policy covers me for riding motorbikes and provides emergency medical insurance up to £15 million providing I hold a licence for the bike.  The premium at last renewal was £144 for a multi trip (45 days per trip) 12 month policy. Probably cheaper for someone younger with no previous medical conditions.

https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/annual-multi-trip/

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, stix40 said:

Dude

Yamaha Enduro bikes 

YZ Scramble bikes 

And push bikes ! 

Europe and Asia.

So the answer is yes ! 

How many road KM have you traveled on those, In Asia ?

10 hours ago, chrissables said:

Having ridden all around Thailand 100,000+++km  i would say yes. 
Have you ridden here, do you have any experience of riding anywhere?

100.000 km+ 

Jesus you must have an arse like a baboon! 

• Haha 2

He had no helmet was he drunk maybe,I suppose the cement barrier just appeared.Travel insurance will not pay once a license is not there or drunk.But he went to go fund me as usual please help had a accident insurance not pay.Got to beg how do I pay the bill.I need lots of money to cover the hospital and it is not coming as i hoped,plus i need to get back to aust

Edited by bristolgeoff

3 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

He had no helmet was he drunk maybe,I suppose the cement barrier just appeared.Travel insurance will not pay once a license is not there or drunk.But he went to go fund me as usual please help had a accident insurance not pay.Got to beg how do I pay the bill

How does a person in a coma go to gofundme to raise money ?

19 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Bottom line is that the government must become directly involved.

Been talked of frequently over the years. Some renters supply supplementary insurance at a cost. Most customers prefer to pay 150-200 baht/day and ride off with just the standard and basic CTPL. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Really depends on the time frame but if it was 100k over 10 yrs that like 25km a day.... naff all.

Good for you .

Safe biking for the future! 

Most people go through life having severely messed up once or twice, but hopefully get off lightly.  He was in Thailand living the Thai way.  What a tragedy!  I hate it when posters start treating victims like they are idiots, or scammers, or worse. How about just saying nothing!  Ok you don't want to pay it- that's alright- end of.

7 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Most people go through life having severely messed up once or twice, but hopefully get off lightly.  He was in Thailand living the Thai way.  What a tragedy!  I hate it when posters start treating victims like they are idiots, or scammers, or worse. How about just saying nothing!  Ok you don't want to pay it- that's alright- end of.

He was in Thailand and made poor life choices and now his family are asking the public to pay rather than ponying up the coin themselves.

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

He was in Thailand and made poor life choices and now his family are asking the public to pay rather than ponying up the coin themselves.

Taking it at face value, it says : 'The ordeal sparked a desperate plea for help as his family grapples with the overwhelming financial strain.'

You may be well off, but most people aren't- especially these days.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

Taking it at face value, it says : 'The ordeal sparked a desperate plea for help as his family grapples with the overwhelming financial strain.'

You may be well off, but most people aren't- especially these days.

so nobody in the family has the means to raise the coin... sell/mortgage a house perhaps.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

so nobody in the family has the means to raise the coin... sell/mortgage a house perhaps.

I suppose they'll have to do just that if they want to get him back home.  His family and friends still have the right to ask for donations from well wishers. Like I said if someone doesn't want to help- that's fair enough, but why all the blaming, etc.

On 2/9/2024 at 8:01 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think I remember Thailand wanted to make sure every tourist has a health insurance.

What happened to that project?

I think everybody who thinks for a minute should make sure they have a valid health insurance before they travel.

And if for whatever reason they don't have an insurance then maybe it's a good idea to be careful.

"catastrophic collision with a concrete barrier" sounds to me like nobody else was involved.

Sad

I used to have medical insurance for many years. But problem always was that it was like "we will not pay any medical claim under 10 000 baht, we will not pay any medical claim over 500 000 Baht and it will be 30 000 baht a year". What's the point of insurance like this? At Wednesday I was  at hospital, I talked with doctor and got prescribed antibiotics. I was charged 50 Baht for consultation and 100 baht for antibiotics. Whenever I visit Thai hospital it is always within this range. So these types of claims are not covered. And claims that would really <deleted> me up, like 5 000 000 Baht accident, are also not covered. So what's the even point of this type of medical insurance. None. 😑

I had 3 broken ribs and couldn't laugh, cough or fart for 6 weeks due to pain....this fella has 7  !!

Surely his sponsor Adidas will cover the treatment.

I wish him all the best.

On 2/10/2024 at 1:39 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Any comments I make which might be considered  ‘toxic’ are directed at posters on here for their idiotic or vapid remarks… 

From your point of view, which others could think the same of your remarks. 

On 2/10/2024 at 7:56 PM, stix40 said:

Dude

Yamaha Enduro bikes 

YZ Scramble bikes 

And push bikes ! 

Europe and Asia.

So the answer is yes ! 

Great, just asking 🙂

When you arrive in Singapore there is a huge sign telling you drug trafficking will result in the death penalty as you come down the escalator to immigration

Maybe a similar sign should be in BKK, saying riding a motorcycle in Thailand may well result in death!

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

Great, just asking 🙂

See another Welsh tourist has had a terrible life changing motorbike accident !

Just take it easy out there peeps !! 

On 2/12/2024 at 7:45 PM, GinBoy2 said:

When you arrive in Singapore there is a huge sign telling you drug trafficking will result in the death penalty as you come down the escalator to immigration

Maybe a similar sign should be in BKK, saying riding a motorcycle in Thailand may well result in death!

Only about 8% of westerners have a motorbike licence so most are never covered by insurance.