Thai Airways takes flight with new Boeing 787 jets

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-02-09-133023.jpg

Thai Airways soared to new heights with a firm order for 45 Boeing 787 jets, potentially boosting the deal to around 80 aircraft, in response to the escalating demand for international travel, according to industry sources.

The deal, set to be formally unveiled later this month, has already been reflected in Boeing’s published order backlog as a contract for 45 planes with an undisclosed customer. Boeing declined to comment on the matter and referred questions to Thai Airways, which has not yet issued a response.

The aircraft will be powered by engines from GE Aerospace, a significant shift considering Thai Airways’ longstanding partnership with Great Britain’s Rolls-Royce. This move marks a new chapter for the Asian carrier and a win for GE, as the airline currently operates Rolls-Royce engines on its existing 787s, according to the sources.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Caption: Photo courtesy of Reuters

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Hope the doors don't fly off:cheesy:...

Or some hallucinating "Canadian" doesn't imagine he's being hunted by a Vietnamese drug cartel and try to throw a door open on take-off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem with the airline is that it has dozens of older aircraft sitting idle that they can't get rid of .... so they aren't making money, they're actually costing money for parking fees. 

but they have to and must upgrade ...  otherwise you lose to the competitors.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The aircraft will be powered by engines from GE Aerospace, a significant shift considering Thai Airways’ longstanding partnership with Great Britain’s Rolls-Royce. This move marks a new chapter for the Asian carrier and a win for GE, as the airline currently operates Rolls-Royce engines on its existing 787s, according to the sources.

Good move, as Rolls-Royce engine disintegrate in mid air.

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Thai Airways still has a lot of Airbus A330s sitting around. What are they going to do with them?

They have 3 A330-300s all with RR Trent 700 engines

And there is another 2 on order expected Sept 2024

Edited by mrfill

6 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

And how long ago was that incident and how many since?

Quite a long time before this one

https://www.investors.com/news/ge-engine-problems-southwest-ntsb-probe-fatal-flight-boeing-737-inspections/

and even longer ago than this one

https://apnews.com/article/plane-engine-exploded-denver-explained-66dcd66fcf81f94233cc42e0132036b9

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Just realized that I really understand absolutely nothing.

Three years ago Thai Airways had a loss burden in its accounting of THB 323 billion (give and take a few billion). That is BILLION not million. End of last year, i.e. 2023, they absorbed  Thai Smile (WE) into Thai Airways (TG) officially. TG had shown a profit of THB 10 billion while WE closed with a loss of THB 20 billion. 

Now they went shopping for new aircraft while 50% can be seen permanently parked at Suvannaphoum and plenty of other planes are standing around in U-Tapao. Empty airframes (other airlines are still flying with those) are seen all over Thailand on Sukapibal 3 Road, Chic Chic Nong Khai and at an aircraft boneyard between Khao Mai Kaew and Rayong on highway 7 (left side just before Sattahip). 

Question now is, does TG buy aircraft and just park them - more or less - straight all over boneyards and future restaurant sites? Second question is, where do all those billions come from? 

But, as said in the first line ....... maybe I really don't understand a thing 😉 

I agree, a company that was technically bankrupt not that long ago keep buying, has it magically cleared all its debt? Is it now in mega profit that it can afford these aircraft purchases? Don't companies restructure and lay off to ballance the books? Coming soon "American company fined for paying kick backs" me thinks. I think Rolls Royce won't play the Thai game after getting their fingers burnt is the reason Thailand isn't buying their engins.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

If it's Boeing, I ain't going. 🤭

True for the Dreamliner Boeing B-787, especially the one assembled in Charleston/SC. It is to hope that the ones Thai contracted are all being assembled in Everett/WA. What brought me to this conclusion? This documentary I watched just by coincidence last night. 

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, mrfill said:

Why?

The ones with the door plug problems are the 737 MAX 9 and the 737-900ER both which are smaller and metal.

Boeing have problems in recent years with quality/testing. It is not just one particular model.

It seems to be pervasive throughout the organisation.

Same with their space craft.

Would you really want to be the first astronaut on the Boeing Starliner

https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/06/boeing-stands-down-from-starliner-launch-to-address-recently-found-problems/

Edited by Tropicalevo

3 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Boeing have problems in recent years with quality/testing. It is not just one particular model.

It seems to be pervasive throughout the organisation.

Same with their space craft.

Would you really want to be the first astronaut on the Boeing Starliner

https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/06/boeing-stands-down-from-starliner-launch-to-address-recently-found-problems/

True ever since boeing went woke with their equity hiring campaign

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Three years ago Thai Airways had a loss burden in its accounting of THB 323 billion (give and take a few billion). That is BILLION not million. End of last year, i.e. 2023, they absorbed  Thai Smile (WE) into Thai Airways (TG) officially. TG had shown a profit of THB 10 billion while WE closed with a loss of THB 20 billion. 

Now they went shopping for new aircraft while 50% can be seen permanently parked at Suvannaphoum and plenty of other planes are standing around in U-Tapao. Empty airframes (other airlines are still flying with those) are seen all over Thailand on Sukapibal 3 Road, Chic Chic Nong Khai and at an aircraft boneyard between Khao Mai Kaew and Rayong on highway 7 (left side just before Sattahip). 

Question now is, does TG buy aircraft and just park them - more or less - straight all over boneyards and future restaurant sites? Second question is, where do all those billions come from? 

But, as said in the first line ....... maybe I really don't understand a thing 😉 

Like many things in Thailand, Thai Airways is quite simply, a boondoggle. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

THAI is more than 50% government owned and their way of thinking is that if we go wrong again like the last time

when the government bailed us out  they will again this time too, putting in such a huge order doubling the number of aircrafts they have now doesn't faze them at all.. Time will tell...

Edited by ezzra
  • Thanks 1

787 Safety record shows zero fatalities to date.

Worst incident was a ground fire in 2013 at London Heathrow, and several other battery related issues at that time. The FAA grounded the 787 on 17 January 2013 until 19 April 2013.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/types/Boeing-787/database

IMG_2110.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert